FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Diablo 3 dual boxing issues

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Mahther

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Diablo 3 dual boxing issues

This started happening to me after I moved the D3 install from the SSD with my OS on it to a dedicated SSD, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
<<

Yelgis

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Hmm I am not sure I run all my apps and my OS from the same 240GB SSD. I have a secondary 500gb drive for storing random crap, but I don't normally execute anything from that drive as it is mechanical.

Update: I just tried the latest dev build since Lax said it fixed load times and it did, but now I am having FPS issues again once I log in on the clients (they run fine at the login screen even when focused). It is similar to the problem I was having before with the exception that previously it would drop from 30fps (the min I have set when the window isn't active) to around 4-5 fps over a few seconds and stay there. After this latest Dev build it spikes between about 12 fps to high teens sometimes 20+ and is very random and choppy.

I haven't done much troubleshooting with it yet though. I may do a restart tomorrow and try it over again (I go long periods at a time without reboots). If that doesn't solve the issue, I will rebuild the layout again as that seemed to help once before. I already have all the settings as low as they can go and AA is off so not sure why this problem showed up again out of the blue. Nothing in my setup changed and it was running just fine the day before.

I will post back here with my findings after I test tomorrow. It is late and I need sleep so I am off to bed.
<<

vadimdz

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:04 am

yea still having the same issue with vertical sync and any aa disabled. im also running it from a ssd, but i doubt that has anything to do with it. login screen is perfect for me, 60 fps. as soon as i log in, 30, then 12, and just sits at like 3-6 and yea its very laggy, not just fps, but it seems like sometimes it just pauses for a sec or two. I guess im not the only one with this issue tho.
<<

ever1ast

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:08 am

I can get them to launch fine with the new build -- the speeds are great, framerete is the same as before -- but as soon as the 4th instance is launched there is a graphics error:

"Click to retry creating a D3D device"
for each window. Ultimately it cannot be created and they all close.

I also have not been able to start the dxnothing window associated with my Diablo III character set with the newest build. Even manually re-launching the character set after the initial 4 windows have been launched will not bring it up.

Fantastic work with the launch times though! Was the one reservation I had about Isboxer vs VMs until now. Props again Lax
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:07 pm

If it fails to create the Direct3D9 device after so many are running, then you may be running out of RAM on your video card. (This is what comes to mind at the moment so I'm going to continue as if this is the problem.) If that is the case, then the only way to get it to launch another one will be to reduce your video RAM usage. You can probably accurately verify the amount of RAM remaining on your device with a free tool like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner. Both are good, I have used both and would (and do) recommend either.

In order to initialize D3D, the video card needs at least enough RAM for any backbuffers the game will be using. The resolution the game is configured for is going to affect this heavily. 2560x1600x32 would use significantly more video RAM than, say, 1024x768x32. (128MB per instance vs 24MB per instance)

Each instance will also load resources (e.g. textures) into the video RAM as needed. But, unlike the back buffers, these *can* also be loaded in system RAM when video RAM runs thin. This means that if you load up 3 game instances, log into them all, and then try to load up a 4th, it may not work even though you may be able to load them all up at the same time, before logging them all in. That's because the back buffers will be created before all of the textures eat up the RAM. ;) This also means that reducing graphics quality MAY allow you to launch additional instances.

And, obviously, this means that replacing your video card with one with more Video RAM could also allow launching additional instances. ;)
<<

vadimdz

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:36 pm

How did you solve the fps issues?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm

vadimdz wrote:How did you solve the fps issues?

I'm unclear on whether you're asking this in the sense that a problem is now fixed, or if you're asking me for advice in how to solve your fps issues because they still exist ;)

For the first case, I didn't do anything yet specifically regarding in-game FPS issues or the cursor positioning glitches.

For the second case, I have no further recommendations at the moment, but I will be working on any remaining issues as I find time (this week I am out of town so my time is more limited than usual)
<<

ever1ast

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:38 pm

lax wrote:If it fails to create the Direct3D9 device after so many are running, then you may be running out of RAM on your video card. (This is what comes to mind at the moment so I'm going to continue as if this is the problem.) If that is the case, then the only way to get it to launch another one will be to reduce your video RAM usage. You can probably accurately verify the amount of RAM remaining on your device with a free tool like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner. Both are good, I have used both and would (and do) recommend either.

In order to initialize D3D, the video card needs at least enough RAM for any backbuffers the game will be using. The resolution the game is configured for is going to affect this heavily. 2560x1600x32 would use significantly more video RAM than, say, 1024x768x32. (128MB per instance vs 24MB per instance)

Each instance will also load resources (e.g. textures) into the video RAM as needed. But, unlike the back buffers, these *can* also be loaded in system RAM when video RAM runs thin. This means that if you load up 3 game instances, log into them all, and then try to load up a 4th, it may not work even though you may be able to load them all up at the same time, before logging them all in. That's because the back buffers will be created before all of the textures eat up the RAM. ;) This also means that reducing graphics quality MAY allow you to launch additional instances.

And, obviously, this means that replacing your video card with one with more Video RAM could also allow launching additional instances. ;)

I'm running a quad sli config of gtx 480s so I know video RAM isn't the problem. If I remember right I have about 6G of available video RAM before the first instance is launched (I can check when I'm back home). Also, there was never an issue until this release, so I'm almost positive it's another problem. The first instance is running at max setting but the remaining 3 are all as low as possible.

EDIT: Before you ask, :) yes SLI has benefited me quite a bit, but I've tried multiple configurations including single-gpu and the same issue occurrs.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:41 pm

ever1ast wrote:I'm running a quad sli config of gtx 480s so I know video RAM isn't the problem. If I remember right I have about 6G of available video RAM before the first instance is launched (I can check when I'm back home).

This is a big negative. SLI shares VRAM across all of your cards, it doesn't add the VRAM up from all of your cards. GTX 480's came with 1.5GB of VRAM, therefore, you have 1.5GB of Video RAM.
<<

vadimdz

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 pm

lax wrote:
vadimdz wrote:How did you solve the fps issues?

I'm unclear on whether you're asking this in the sense that a problem is now fixed, or if you're asking me for advice in how to solve your fps issues because they still exist ;)

For the first case, I didn't do anything yet specifically regarding in-game FPS issues or the cursor positioning glitches.

For the second case, I have no further recommendations at the moment, but I will be working on any remaining issues as I find time (this week I am out of town so my time is more limited than usual)

I was asking mostly because someone said they had the same issue with fps, and they fixed it, but didn't give much info on how they fixed it.
PreviousNext

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected