FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Diablo 3 dual boxing issues

Moderator: MiRai

<<

vadimdz

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:46 am

Diablo 3 dual boxing issues

Hello,

I have recently been trying to get a working setup for Diablo 3 dual boxing. I have finally come across ISBoxer, and it looks very promising. The issue im having with it so far is:

-My fps drops to about 4-5 fps on each instance. Starts at 60 at the login screen. Then as soon as i log in it just drops. Was not having issues with it before. If i start an instance of d3 on its own it seems fine. I can run Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings,

Processor i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am on a 7 day trial testing the system now.

Thank you.
<<

vadimdz

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:04 am

Re: Diablo 3 dual boxing issues

Here is my config file if that's useful.

http://www.privatepaste.com/6d48b1aedb
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:17 am

1. Is the game on high graphics settings? If you're going to multibox it, you're probably going to need to drop anti-aliasing (at the very least) in order to not lose a ton of performance during gameplay.

2. I see you have 2 monitors. Are they both powered by the same video card? From your info I am guessing they are, but if you had one monitor on each card you could very easily run into a huge FPS drop.

3. Are you using any in-game overlays? X-Fire, Mumble, Steam (doesn't support D3, but just listing some examples) overlays for example could all cause a FPS drop

4. I see in your CPU Strategy that you've tried lowering the FPS and even disabling the FPS limiter. I would try adjusting the CPU Strategy though. Since you're running 2 instances on a quad core, and your current strategy has 1 core per instance... try enabling ISBoxer's HyperThreading option (in the CPU Strategy Wizard). What this does is assign multiple CPU Cores per instance. So instead of picking core 1 for instance 1 and core 2 for instance 2, it will use cores 1,2 for instance 1 and 3,4 for instance 2. This may improve performance. Especially if HyperThreading is actually enabled for your CPU. (in which case CPU 2 in that list would be a logical/virtual core and would not be expected to run a game instance at full performance)

That's what comes to mind at the moment
<<

vadimdz

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:56 pm

lax wrote:1. Is the game on high graphics settings? If you're going to multibox it, you're probably going to need to drop anti-aliasing (at the very least) in order to not lose a ton of performance during gameplay.

2. I see you have 2 monitors. Are they both powered by the same video card? From your info I am guessing they are, but if you had one monitor on each card you could very easily run into a huge FPS drop.

3. Are you using any in-game overlays? X-Fire, Mumble, Steam (doesn't support D3, but just listing some examples) overlays for example could all cause a FPS drop

4. I see in your CPU Strategy that you've tried lowering the FPS and even disabling the FPS limiter. I would try adjusting the CPU Strategy though. Since you're running 2 instances on a quad core, and your current strategy has 1 core per instance... try enabling ISBoxer's HyperThreading option (in the CPU Strategy Wizard). What this does is assign multiple CPU Cores per instance. So instead of picking core 1 for instance 1 and core 2 for instance 2, it will use cores 1,2 for instance 1 and 3,4 for instance 2. This may improve performance. Especially if HyperThreading is actually enabled for your CPU. (in which case CPU 2 in that list would be a logical/virtual core and would not be expected to run a game instance at full performance)

That's what comes to mind at the moment

I'm not using any overlays. And am using 1 video card with 2 monitors. I have tried to lower the settings (not sure if I disabled aa but I know I tried lowering them to the lowest settings on both windows. I'm at work now and will try the CPU at lunch and edit this post with the results.

Thank you for the prompt reply by the way, awesome support.
<<

vadimdz

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Ok so tested with hyper threading enabled. I'm not sure if i had to do anything other than go into CPU strategy wizard and set hyper threading to true. because when i go back into the wizard it seems to always reset to defaults.

Still the same issue. It seems like the game im actually in is running at like 4FPS and the window i'm not controlling is running at a solid 30. As soon as i switch windows the effects are reversed. So basically the version running in background is running with solid FPS, and the version i'm driving in is lagging, like extremely bad.

I don't really have anything else installed on the computer ( just built it with a new win7 install.)

here is my updated config file if it helps. I have also tried turning down AA, and have gone as far as turning down all the settings to lowest for video. Disabled the FPS limiter both in Diablo and ISBOXER. still same issue. FPS picks up as soon as i click out of the window to a solid 30 no matter what quality the settings are set to in D3.

Here is a ss of it: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/17266844.png/
http://www.privatepaste.com/41fc59e341

Thanks again.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:33 am

Also add Vertical Sync to my list of things that could do something unexpected.

And FRAPS?

Could you grab me a "Diagnostics for game crashes" from the ISBoxer Help menu? Maybe that can provide a hint
<<

vadimdz

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:23 am

Is vertical sync an option in boxer? Because I think diablo wise I have toned down any graphical setting to no result. And in terms of fraps are you referring to the program that lets you record? Because I have deffinetly disabled all background programs. And it is a newly installed copy of windows with basically diablo3 , isboxer and battlefield.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:35 am

Yes, that is the FRAPS I was referring to

VSync is not currently an option in ISBoxer or Inner Space. I'll have to see about adding it.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:16 am

lax wrote:VSync is not currently an option in ISBoxer or Inner Space. I'll have to see about adding it.

If anyone wants VSync enabled in a game that doesn't support it through their in-game settings, they can force it on (or off) through their GPU's control panel.
<<

Yelgis

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:00 pm

I had this problem as well and the only option that seems to affect my case is the Anti-Aliasing option in the Diablo III video settings.

As soon as I turned that off it works fine.

You may also want to make sure your Gfx card isn't forcing AA on for games/more specifically Diablo III. Go to your cards control panel and check just to be sure.

None of the other options seem to really affect me much, but I haven't been able to test 4 clients running at once and actually playing the game. I may need to lower some settings and since I am running at a lower res (1280x768 with each slot in one of the 4 corners of my 30in monitor) I won't miss too many of the graphics options being turned down.

That said I am running my 4 instances with an i7-950, 2 GTX 580's in SLI (yes SLI on doesn't seem to hurt me I didn't notice any improvement with it off), and 12GB of ram. When I was first having issues, I thought it might be the SLI so I went to check it and found out to my surprise that my SLI was already off. Apparently I had turned it off when working with some older game heh. Turning it back on didn't seem to hurt at all.
Next

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected