FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mouse broadcasting

Moderator: MiRai

<<

tzpmrz

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Mouse broadcasting

ok, in the setup you can have a button set to turn on/off mouse broadcasting, I selected M3 on my G15 keyboard.
everything was fine until I used it once or I switched windows ( I really don't know when the problem started )

but now whenever I switch windows mouse broadcasting gets turned on. I've died 3-4 times now because mouse broadcasting is back on.
if anything it should default to being off when I switch windows... really, why would mouse broadcasting turn on?

anyway, How do I turn off mouse broadcast and have it stay off until I actually turn it on or use it in a step sequence?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Mouse broadcasting

The issue here is that you're turning it on for All Windows, and probably turning it off in some cases for only the Current Window. Show your config and I can point out exactly what the problem is, but typically this is due to setting hotkeys in your Repeater Profile -- which do not sync with the Activate Repeat mapped key or the Click Bar from the Quick Setup Wizard. Also, the hotkeys in the Repeater Profile are strictly *toggles*, meaning that if you toggle it on all, and one window happens to have had it off while the rest are on, that window will now have it on while the rest are off.
<<

OzHawkeye

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 am

That's exactly the same trap I fell into at first. I configured the Mouse broadcasting toggle key in the "all windows" options, rather than the "current window" option.

I think where that can go wrong is if you click the key in a follower window, you've now toggled it for all windows, so it's possible for the Windows to end up in different configurations I think (particularly if in the mean time you toggled the Keymaps key too).

Eg/ (in case I'm not totally off base here)

* Mouse repeater key is set in the "All Windows" option.

* You turn mouse repeater on in your focused window.

* Then, for whatever reason you turn Keymaps off.

* Then you click into a followers window, and notice, "Hey, mouse repeater is back on", so you toggle it again to turn it off. However, Keymaps are off in this follower window (cause you turned em off by broadcast from the main window), so it doesn't send the command to the other windows, meaning that the main window and this follower now have opposite mouse-repeater states.

* You then go back to the main window, re-activate Keymaps, and find mouse repeater is back on (since that's where you intially started it). Annoyed to see it on again, you toggle Mouse repeater off, but Keymaps are on in this window, transmitting the toggle command back to that follower you clicked on, thus turning mouse repeater back on (again.... hehe).

This is what I think was happening to me. My solution was to move the Mouse Repeater and Keymap toggle keys off the "All Windows" option to the "Current Windows" option preventing this sort of diametrically opposed mouse repeater states from occuring in my main or its 4 followers.

Of course, I could be totally off-base here. Hopefully Lax will let me know.... hehe.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:19 am

Nope you appear to have a good handle on it :)
<<

tzpmrz

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:49 pm

I can see how the toggle of the mouse on one window might be useful.... but to be honest I would much rather have a "mouse is broadcasting (on)" and a "mouse broadcasting (off)" and it affects all windows the same way no matter what the individual toggle states were in.
I could hit M1 and turn it all off, hit M2 and turn it all in.

I have fixed it so the toggle is on individual windows but I still switch windows from time to time and get screwed over because I had left mouse broadcasting on when I had left the window last time.
<<

OzHawkeye

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Then the only thing I can think of that might help you would be to re-work your Mouse repeater hotkeys to be absolutes.

By that I mean, make a "mouse repeater on" hotkey and a "mouse repeater off" hotkey and have it apply to all windows (including the current). By breaking the toggle functionality in its current 2-step configuration into two seperate absolute on or off hotkeys you'll unconditionally prevent any unexpected behaviour. This means having two keys instead of one for mouse repeating, but would mean there'd never be any doubt about the repeater states of all windows.

I'd put the hotkey info in for what I mean here, but I'm at work right now, so I'm not really here posting this but busily working to further enrich my employers.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:35 am

tzpmrz wrote:I can see how the toggle of the mouse on one window might be useful.... but to be honest I would much rather have a "mouse is broadcasting (on)" and a "mouse broadcasting (off)" and it affects all windows the same way no matter what the individual toggle states were in.
I could hit M1 and turn it all off, hit M2 and turn it all in.

I have fixed it so the toggle is on individual windows but I still switch windows from time to time and get screwed over because I had left mouse broadcasting on when I had left the window last time.

I haven't recommended assigning Hotkeys through the Repeater Profile in a long time. You can correct this by using a Mapped Key instead, e.g. copy the "Activate Repeat" mapping under Control and change it to only toggle the mouse, and not affect the Click Bar Button.

Return to World of Warcraft