FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

So Blizzard is killing Multiboxing in WoW

Moderator: MiRai

<<

rippx

Post Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:06 pm

Re: So Blizzard is killing Multiboxing in WoW

ratkil wrote:So, going back to old school, a thought on a potential workaround. With multiple monitors you could put the wow windows in each one with then ability to mouse between them without alt tabbing, or if you aren't old like me and still have viable eyesight you could tile them on a big monitor. :-) If have two devices you can do this with Synergy which is what I used to use in the old days between laptop and pc. Then as I mentioned in early post open up the FX source and viewer windows so in your main you have views to tool bars in your clients you could relatively quickly click through to hit macros on the clients. This would be the main control point but quickly moving control between windows with mouse would allow corrections and fixing when toons go erratic, get feared, etc. Those fast with keyboard could still alt tab or flick through windows with keyboard shortcut. It's not going to be feasible for PVP, will most likely drop overall dps a bit and increase complexity in dungeons. That said for many like me who just use multiboxing to make general PVE gameplay a bit more interesting it would continue being feasible. Ironically it would still very much enable mass gathering though with a small impact on efficiency.

Again the big unknown is if they will allow Innerspace (sorry for putting Isboxer before, keep forgetting the engine versus the gui) to be running on systems. If they do I would see this as a viable option again for those of us that just want to move through PVE content doing things. It also has added benefit of irritating the people that just like to complain and will continue to report anyone they see even just with a toon on follow. As someone else rightly mentioned however it will result in a lot of time and frustration spent in being locked and having to appeal decisions I would assume.

What would be really cool would be if the software's in question (innerspace, etc) actually had an API connection warden that indicated if it was infringing on the "red" zone. In other words you could turn on a flag and turns off functions that would infringe on the WoW TOS and also allows a GM to verify remotely if there is issue or not. That way reports would just be handled without initial bans. Maybe being naively optimistic on how things would work but one can hope.

Guess we just wait and see how Blizz responds to the Lavis team.

I feel as if this will still result in a ban when a player reports you. I mean was multiboxing really disrupting the game this badly? When I was playing with 1 character I think I may have seen 1 or 2 multiboxers in my entire 15 years of playing the game.
<<

globalfugitive

Post Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:43 pm

I have just received my warning notice from Blizzard for all my accounts.

A sad moment in time as I have cancelled all subs on all my accounts ... for the first time since Vanilla I will not be playing WoW.

I will continue to monitor the situation, but do not feel much hope, I simply cannot go back to alt-tabbing since I discovered ISBoxer.

Thank you to all of the ISBoxer/Lavish team, simply an awesome project/product. Goodluck with your discussions with Blizzard. I look forward to the possible moment I may return to WoW ... the whole reason I started Classic was to play TBC, now a moment I may not realise :(
<<

Spazzix

Post Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:28 pm

rippx wrote:I feel as if this will still result in a ban when a player reports you. I mean was multiboxing really disrupting the game this badly? When I was playing with 1 character I think I may have seen 1 or 2 multiboxers in my entire 15 years of playing the game.

After reading posts from the anti-multiboxer side, it seems like a large number of open-world, raw-gold farming bots popped up which genuinely do create a negative game experience (I personally haven't seen these boomkin squads, but I think a lot of players with no ill will towards multiboxers in general have voiced the opinion, so I don't take issue with it) I think the reason the "fix" bleeds over to legitimate multiboxers is a two parter:
  • The same type of botting is far less disruptive with a single box (e.g. players might not be happy about a single druid tagging new things with every GCD—they'll actually probably think it's just some dick not willing to share the spawns, but those players will still be able to get their own tags) and isn't really profitable without multiboxing since you can't force instant repops and kill them immediately
  • Legitimate software such as ISBoxer combined with the ability to create automated macros with cheap gaming peripherals resulted in the ability to create a bot with absolutely 0 knowledge or skill in programming/scripting. This basically just multiplied the pool of potential cheaters and removed the barrier to entry.

Banning broadcast software won't remove all the botters, but it will greatly the reduce the number of people capable of doing it effectively.

Sadly it will also greatly reduce the number of people who multiboxing without any negative impact on the game.
<<

Silverthorn

Post Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:05 am

rippx wrote:Just received this warning from blizzard:
Was this an email or something in-game?
<<

helbreht

Post Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:44 am

Good morning. My account has now been blocked. Without any warning. = (
<<

Kazz70

Post Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:25 am

Also got a warning via mail now. Hope isboxers crew can get us an solution or workaround. Keep the spirit up.
<<

helbreht

Post Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:34 am

Kazz70 wrote:Also got a warning via mail now. Hope isboxers crew can get us an solution or workaround. Keep the spirit up.

for all characters or for one?
<<

Kazz70

Post Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:56 am

helbreht wrote:
Kazz70 wrote:Also got a warning via mail now. Hope isboxers crew can get us an solution or workaround. Keep the spirit up.

for all characters or for one?

For all i used for boxing. But, i haven't done any boxing recent. I just prepared for shadowlands but i had Inner Space running in the background. But i guess that's the problem it was running :oops:
<<

patbluestar

Post Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:21 am

Everyone who did receive a warning mail or who’s account was blocked:

Did you play Classic or Retail?
Did you actualy use ISBoxer / Innerspace until recently or was the programm just running in the background?

Thanks.
<<

triforceprg

Post Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:08 am

helbreht wrote:Good morning. My account has now been blocked. Without any warning. = (

I'm guessing you were running something shady in the background which got you banned, one of my friends got banned a while ago (before the change in tos) and he was banned because of using a macro in razer synapse.
PreviousNext

Return to World of Warcraft