FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

So Blizzard is killing Multiboxing in WoW

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Nezied

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:16 pm

So Blizzard is killing Multiboxing in WoW

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/ ... g-software

Not much needs be said I think? I'm no expert, but this is basically killing off multiboxing isn't it?
<<

redsorc

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: So Blizzard is killing Multiboxing in WoW

Yep. What a shame. I was really looking forward to coming back.

I can only assume that the effect on the economy from multi-boxers could no longer be ignored, and they couldn't think of a better solution.

I feel really bad for people that have already bought Shadowlands on multiple accounts. Hopefully, folks can be refunded?

I feel really really bad for Lax. ISBoxer is a fantastic piece of software that has provided me with years of entertainment that I, and I'm guessing many others, won't be able to justify supporting now. Must be a phenomenal kick in the teeth. :(
<<

Bubbahearths

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:13 pm

I just got into multiboxing and have been having fun =(. Any idea when they implement the new rule?
<<

Nezied

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:16 pm

For sure, I mean, ISBoxer can be used for plenty of other games, but non of them have the same popularity and I doubt ease of accessibility as WoW has, it's gonna be a kick in the nuts, I don't envy the man.. Especially since his latest youtube video hinted at lots of Shadowlands plans...

I just got back into Multiboxing less than a week ago, so I'm a bit gutted over it, but at least only my main account and 1 of my slave accounts had shadowlands on it from last I was actively boxing.

It's gonna suck.
<<

SLOKnightfall

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:17 pm

Yes,No, Maybe? The key line to me is
"The use of input broadcasting software that mirrors keystrokes to multiple WoW game clients will soon be considered an actionable offense"
It really depends on whether they consder using ISBoxer or other program at all a actionable offense, or just the broadcasting to multiple clients. While not as efficient as broadcasting, you still can do a lot by changing stuff to be round robin which allows for the one keypress one client rule is still being followed.
<<

Nezied

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:19 pm

Bubbahearths wrote:I just got into multiboxing and have been having fun =(. Any idea when they implement the new rule?

As per the news post, they'll send out warnings to people who are caught out using the software that broadcasts inputs, so if you're not calling it quits right now as I am (currently cleaning characters and binning stuff to main account), then I'd suggest hard stopping and cleaning out when you get your first warning.

I don't see a software solution that'll "save" multiboxing, gonna have to be mechanical with multiple computer setups if so.... Unless running multiple a Virtual PCs is possible.
<<

redsorc

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:30 pm

SLOKnightfall wrote:Yes,No, Maybe? The key line to me is
"The use of input broadcasting software that mirrors keystrokes to multiple WoW game clients will soon be considered an actionable offense"
It really depends on whether they consder using ISBoxer or other program at all a actionable offense, or just the broadcasting to multiple clients. While not as efficient as broadcasting, you still can do a lot by changing stuff to be round robin which allows for the one keypress one client rule is still being followed.

Even if somebody devises a clever way to box without crossing the rules, I've never desired to "colour outside the lines", personally. Regardless of whether there is a loophole or not, Blizzard have made their position on the issue pretty clear and that means this is the end of the road for me.

That's before I even mention the cost involved. Multiboxing used to just involve paying a little for ISBoxer and then a few extra subscriptions/ As soon as the process starts to need extra pieces of hardware, you probably lose me.
<<

sammnz

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:42 pm

From a WoW Classic perspective, all I use ISBoxer for is to farm shards to summon people to instances. There are many exploitable ways boxing software can be used in retail and classic, as well as a 1-man army killing machine wreaking havoc.

At the end of the day, multiboxing is one of those 'if you cant beat em join em' type things which really shouldn't exist in the game, yeah it's fun, but at the end of the day provides an unfair advantage at a cost of increasing subscription count. You can mitigate that by registering accounts in cheap countries (hello Argentina) which ends up being a significant advantage to the average player and a frustrating one.
<<

kruppy

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:09 pm

It is too early to say that the Isboxer will be affected, in the forum says a software, there are others on the market. Blizzard should be more specific and say what software is prohibited.
<<

chrisant

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:01 pm

kruppy wrote:It is too early to say that the Isboxer will be affected, in the forum says a software, there are others on the market. Blizzard should be more specific and say what software is prohibited.

They were pretty clear...
Next

Return to World of Warcraft