FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Classic - unable to start up 3D acceleration

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Hornsworth

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:43 am

Classic - unable to start up 3D acceleration

Hello all,

I've been trying to get this dang thing working for several days, and I keep getting stuck at the same place. I go to launch my set for Wow Classic, the Wow window looks like it's going to load up, and I get an error that says "World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration."

I've been playing Wow Classic with no problems single-account on this PC. I read that mutli-monitors can cause an issue, so I've redone my window layout to only use my main monitor and unplugged the other, no help. I've tried to jump in the discord but I had problems with that account so I'm trying here first. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Here's my copy/pasted profile info: https://pastebin.com/KdC3G304
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:11 am

Re: Classic - unable to start up 3D acceleration

I'm going to point you at http://isboxer.com/wiki/FAQ#WoW_was_una ... celeration as it has a few things that should be tried first (you may have done some of them, but not all?).

This one doesn't normally come up too often these days, and if it does it is usually something a bit weird with intel gpus and other gpus in the same system. Multiple monitors are usually ok, but more if you do happen to have an intel gpu and a monitor is plugged into that, then it might cause some issues.
<<

Hornsworth

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:56 am

Interesting, thanks for the reply. I just did all of these, 1-5, with no luck. I have 2 monitors, one in my graphics card, one in my mobo's on-board video. I've since moved both to my graphics and had no success. I even unplugged one to test single monitor and had the same issue. Not sure where to go from here unfortunately!
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:52 pm

You should have both monitors plugged directly into your graphics card, and after doing so you would need to create a new Window Layout in ISBoxer, otherwise it will end up trying to direct the game to start on a monitor that no longer exists (windows has internal references to physical displays and it gets all weird when directing to devices that don't exist). If in doubt, File -Clear, and start again with Wizards -> Quick Setup Wizard.

You also don't want the possibility of games swapping between displays powered by different graphics cards anyway as the performance cost of this is terrible, especially depending on which GPU is the main driver. If it happened to be your intel, then the other GPU would be near useless.
<<

Hornsworth

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Just gave that a whirl. Both are plugged into the same graphics card now. One is DVI/VGA one is HDMI, would that make any difference? I did a full File -Clear and started from scratch, same issue.

I really appreciate your help on this by the way! Any last resort ideas?
<<

Sisyphus

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:09 pm

Funny, I was coming to ask about this exact issue. It happens on my 5-man maybe every other day. Today it's happened a few more times than often. I'll test out steps in first reply.

I have a single monitor Alienware ultrawide with a 1080 TI.
<<

Sisyphus

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:24 pm

Anyone find a fix? Watching my priest's screen freeze and then die / pull a bunch of mobs in live strath was fun today..

Return to World of Warcraft