FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serious delay in switching windows during combat

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Korruptor

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:45 am

Serious delay in switching windows during combat

I recently upgraded my gaming pc to an octo-core FX-8125 with 16GB DDR3 and I'm still using my dual Geforce 470GTX cards (not in SLI). I've reinstalled Win 7 clean as well as IS/ISBoxer and pulled in my prior profile.

Switching between windows which swaps to my main screen works instantly when not in combat (works fine when on taxi's) but once I'm engaged in combat it's a very different experience. I've been monitoring the memory and CPU and neither are capped out during these situations. All slots are allocated across the 4 listed cores and all in-game resolutions are 1680x1050. The window layout was done through the wizard as 1 full size window in the main monitor and 4 equally divided slots on the second monitor.

When In combat, if I move my mouse to another window and click on it to swap to main, it takes around 5 seconds for it to actually swap screens. I've never seen this happen before so I'm looking for advice on what to change to try to resolve this. What might be causing the latency in swapping while in combat?

I read through the below threads but they didn't seem to match my situation:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2558&p=10969&hilit=swap+lag#p10969
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2780&p=11984&hilit=swap+lag#p11984

Side question: the affinity allocation only shows 4 cores but there are 8 now and Id like to allocate as them 8. How can I correct this?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: Serious delay in switching windows during combat

When In combat, if I move my mouse to another window and click on it to swap to main, it takes around 5 seconds for it to actually swap screens. I've never seen this happen before so I'm looking for advice on what to change to try to resolve this. What might be causing the latency in swapping while in combat?

On ISBoxer's end, a slow swap is performed if the game is in windowed mode and its rendering resolution is detected to be different from what it should be based on your Window Layout. It might be possible to eliminate this by changing the windowed mode setting in the game. You might have to re-launch the game after changing this setting in the game, for the Window Layout to re-apply correctly.

I don't know a reason why it should be any different in combat than out of combat, though. That sounds like it might end up being something built into the game (possibly something that can be affected by other graphics settings). If you have "Make game believe it is foreground window" enabled in your Character Set, the game isn't supposed to know you're switching windows at all though...

Side question: the affinity allocation only shows 4 cores but there are 8 now and Id like to allocate as them 8. How can I correct this?

Unless your Character Set has a Computer assigned, the number of cores comes from the currently-detected CPU(s). If it does have a Computer assigned, then the number of cores comes from the Computer configured in ISBoxer.
<<

Korruptor

Post Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:39 am

Re: Serious delay in switching windows during combat

Thanks for the info Lax.

Tweaking the setup showed that the issue stemmed from my setup configuration for the generic key maps. Under the key I designated "DPS" where I call the generic key maps, the setting "Execute a Step when the hotkey is" was set to "pressed OR released" and changing it to "pressed" removed the lag in switching between instances.

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic