FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New to SWToR, window layout and other Qn's

Moderator: MiRai

<<

pox67

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm

New to SWToR, window layout and other Qn's

Preamble: I three boxed Rift for a while and then took a break. I have just picked up 2 accounts for SW ToR as I heard the stories were quite good.

In Rift I had 2 screens. Main screen had the currently controlled character in fullscreen and the second screen had a DX Nothing window with the other 2 characters and bunch of little tracking windows that were very handy (windows that I could click on to accept quests or change tracked quests etc).

Now I have 3 screens and a Sli surround setup in 3 x portrait mode. This gives me a gigantic 3600x1920 desktop.
I have done an initial setup of SW ToR with the current character at 3600x1920 and the second character as a little window (900x480) overlaid the main screen in the bottom right. I just click on the little window to swap it out to the big window.
EDIT: Did some more reading and got #3 covered. What
I need is stacked windows with Video FX feeds and repeater regions. I remember doing this in Rift now.

The Questions
1. Should my game settings be Fullscreen, Fullscreen(Window) or Windowed?
I am not getting great performance, I get about 30-40FPS on medium settings with both characters running at 3600x1920.

2. Who do I pay for pass through targeting? This seems like a big miss for this game, I can't remember playing a MMORPG without it. It is making it much more difficult than need be to set up the keys as everything first needs a target tank and then a target target's target. Yuck.

3. My screen set up at the moment is functional for two characters but could be better. Specifically what I would like is both games running as stacked fullsize windows and have the non-controlled character have a smaller overlay window on the currently controlled characters screen. I believe I need to do that so I can pull out the cool little passthrough windows to the controlled window for hotbar clicking and stuff (my memory is being jogged now - for the pass through windows do both windows just need to be at the same resolution and not necessarily stacked?).

Any help is much appreciated, it is fun to be back :)
Computer:
Intel 3930K (6 core, 12 hyperthreaded), Asus P9X79 LE, 16GB Ram
2 x Sapphire 7970 Dual-X Boost in Crossfire.
2 x 27" 2560x1440 monitors.
<<

pox67

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: New to SWToR, window layout and other Qn's

Got #3 covered with some more reading.
What I want is stacked game Windows ( windowed or fullscreen for performance?) with Video FX feeds and repeater regions. I remember doing that in Rift now.
Computer:
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm

pox67 wrote:1. Should my game settings be Fullscreen, Fullscreen(Window) or Windowed?
I am not getting great performance, I get about 30-40FPS on medium settings with both characters running at 3600x1920.
That's an awful lot of pixels you are pushing there. I would expect limited performance. As far as which windowing mode to use in-game, the short answer is to try them all and see which gives you the best performance. You might also check out HOWTO: Tweak your Framerate.
<<

pox67

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:03 am

Alge wrote:
That's an awful lot of pixels you are pushing there. I would expect limited performance. As far as which windowing mode to use in-game, the short answer is to try them all and see which gives you the best performance. You might also check out HOWTO: Tweak your Framerate.[/quote]

It is a lot of pixels and it looks awesome. I could split my screens a simply have a game window per screen but where is the fun in that.

Windowed/Fullscreen seems to make no difference on performance.

I have gone with 3600x1920 stacked windows with Video FX window of the other game in the lower left. Works really well so far. Except I need to use medium settings.

I have been tinkering with setting the resolution to 2400x1280 which is a lot less. I think I should be a le to do Ultra High settings on that resolution.
The main obstacle at the moment is that the client_settings.ini file keeps overwriting itself and the resolution goes haywire. I will have to get my settings and res sorted and then make it read only.
Computer:

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic