FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Support for Self and Focus Target Modifier

Moderator: MiRai

<<

CFICare

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Support for Self and Focus Target Modifier

By default, SWTOR binds Home and End keys to "Self Target Modifier" and "Focus Target Modifier". The keys, if held down while using an ability, makes the target of that ability Self or Focus, respectively, instead of your current target. For instance if I am a healer, I might set my focus as the tank while I target the boss (or other party members). I can then use interrupts or damage the boss (or heal party members) and then heal myself or the tank by holding Home or End while using a heal.

ISBoxer supports a hold mode for the standard modifier keys (crtl, alt, shift), and I am wondering if that mode could be applied to arbitrary keys. I'm assuming that somehow the Key-Down, Key-Up is being micro-managed in this case whereas a regular keypress actually send both at the same time.

I'm slowly getting my head around key maps. It's rather daunting at first, but once you get the concepts straight it all makes good sense.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: Support for Self and Focus Target Modifier

ISBoxer supports a hold mode for the standard modifier keys (crtl, alt, shift), and I am wondering if that mode could be applied to arbitrary keys. I'm assuming that somehow the Key-Down, Key-Up is being micro-managed in this case whereas a regular keypress actually send both at the same time.

Here's what you need to know:
1. Keystroke Actions defined in the same Step that go to the same Target are combined into a single Keystroke (if you have Keystroke Action that sends End->healer, and one that sends 1->healer, it becomes End+1 -> healer when it's actually in use) and are not micro-managed as press followed by release.
2. Variable Keystroke Actions and Named WoW Macro Actions (not that you'd be using that for SWTOR) are not combined in the above fashion (but are both technically Keystroke Actions)
3. The Hold option applies equally to all Keystrokes, not just modifiers, including those sent by Variable Keystroke Actions or Named WoW Macro Actions, and ensures that all of them are held until you release the Hotkey.

With regards to #1, most people are actually confused by the automatic keystroke combining, and ask how to micromanage the press and release so that they can separately perform Alt+1 followed by Shift+1 (or such) without the Shift+1 becoming Shift+Alt+1. Given the above (1 through 3), in order to separate the keystrokes, you would need to first of all not have Hold enabled, and then either use Variable Keystroke actions, Named WoW Macro Actions, separate Steps for the Actions, OR a Do Mapped Key Action (which would be used to 'do' a Mapped Key that has its own Steps and therefore its own combinations).

If you are using a Variable Keystroke Action to press Home or End, the answer is probably just to enable the Hold option on your Mapped Key. :)

So..quick recap...

Step
+- Actions
+- End -> healer
+- 1 -> healer

is End+1 -> healer. (regardless of Hold option)
<<

CFICare

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Support for Self and Focus Target Modifier

I could have sworn I tried that. Probably did something wrong, like the first time I tried assigning keys and bound two things to F9. Took forever to figure out why it always enraged no matter what I tried, especially when enrage wasn't even on F9 (or so I thought).

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic