FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Virtual Machines on same PC...

Moderator: MiRai

<<

kenphillips

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Virtual Machines on same PC...

Off-the-wall idea I had at work today. I'm a Capsuleer (EVE Online) and they now give out 60-day trials thru subscriber accounts. But, EVE has a limitation wherein you CANNOT play a trial account and a subscriber account on the same PC. It's one or the other, not both. Strange, I know, but that's CCP for ya.

One way you can get around this limitation, is by using multiple PCs with one trial account each. However, another possibility would be to run virtual machines on one/more PCs and have one trial account per virtual machine. This is all theoretical so far as I haven't actually tried anything yet.

My questions to the forum are, how would ISBoxer behave under this type of scenario? I'll say 5 VMs running on a single PC, to define the initial parameters. Would this fall under the single or multiple PCs setup? (I'm guessing multiple). Would I be restricted to the 5 PC limit per IS subscription? Would I be able to make use of video FX?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Virtual Machines on same PC...

A VM is going to operate the same as a separate PC as far as ISBoxer is concerned, and is the same as another PC for your Inner Space license, yes. (After all, your entire purpose is to have another PC to work around EVE's limitation...)

I don't think you're going to be able to use Video FX effectively, but with some experimentation it could work.

I'm also not going to recommend circumventing their trial account limitation, they can still ban you for that. We don't like to do things around here that the game publisher would ban you for.

Return to Multiple Computers