FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Just starting out which class combination?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

xddx

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Just starting out which class combination?

First thanks for linking that skill tree sim works wonders ;D

And I will most probably choose one of default skill tree cause I do not know enough to go in-depth.

Jeran wrote:This is why I use the number row for the key that I am actually pressing, and the number PAD for the key that the ability is bound too. My primary action bar is empty; all my main rotation abilities are on the action bars above it.

So: I hit 1 on my keyboard, ISBoxer reads that as the binding for pull under my Rift Combat Hotkeys, which then references my character specific rotations (for each character), and all the abilities in there are bound to something on the number pad.

Ok so from what I understand is that during any combat you will only be using/mashing "1","2" and "3"?

Whilst you have already made specific combat macros for all your classes that when you press "1" they do their individual skill rotation am I right? But this can only be done by customizing it in ISboxer suite under the "Rift combat hotkeys"?

In case you need to heal what do you press to target and to heal?

I think I am also doing something wrong when I engage a fight my warrior should be in melee range and get aggro first so I run up to an enemy press my assist key have all my boxers attack by pressing 1 but the mages need to cast and their still following my warrior which makes my range/mages cast in melee range LOSing enemies behind than I would have to make my warrior walk towards the area I want them to turn to get back in line of sight. Is this normal?

My apologies I am still very confused and still getting used on how to properly multibox.
<<

Jeran

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:52 am

The problem with movement and /follow is totally normal, and I had it too. The solution was to add something to your pull rotation that makes all your non-warrior characters move (see Step 3 below).

Combat goes something like this:

Step 1. Click on an enemy (main screen only).

Step 2. Press 1
-Warrior uses Sergeant's Order and pulls the enemy.
-Everyone else assists the Warrior.

Step 3. Press 1 a couple more times over the next 2 seconds.
-Warrior uses some other ability, either a debuff or a taunt (I can't remember).
-Everyone else moves a little bit to break follow. Some of them then cast a debuff on the target. I think the cleric casts a shield on the tank, too.

Step 4. Move the warrior to the target, if not already in melee range.

Step 5. Spam 2 until the target dies.
-Warrior does his combat rotation (builders/finishers)
-Rogue does his combat rotation (builders/finishers)
-Mage does his combat rotation (fireball spam)
-Bard does his combat rotation (motifs then builders/finishers)
-Cleric does his combat rotation (spam Overflowing Renewal)

I can't open Rift right not to take a screenshot, but there are some options you need to enable in options/interface/combat or something along those lines. First is smart targeting, second is cast on target of target.

So if your cleric is assisting your warrior, and casts a damage spell, your cleric casts that spell on the enemy that is targeted. On the other hand, if your cleric casts a heal, he casts it on the person that that enemy is targeting (hence, target of your target).

This means that your cleric will spam heals on whoever the enemy is hitting, usually your tank. To make it even easier, the Warden (Cleric) soul has a heal called Overflowing Renewal that applies any extra healing to other members of the party. I spam this heal to keep the tank at full health; any extra healing beyond what the tank needs keeps the rest of the party at full health.

Edit: I made a picture!

<<

xddx

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Wow thanks man lots of stuff to digest. I will do this after some sleep its getting late for me thanks for sharing ;D
<<

Recycle

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Jeran wrote:The problem with movement and /follow is totally normal, and I had it too. The solution was to add something to your pull rotation that makes all your non-warrior characters move (see Step 3 below).

Combat goes something like this:

Step 1. Click on an enemy (main screen only).

Step 2. Press 1
-Warrior uses Sergeant's Order and pulls the enemy.
-Everyone else assists the Warrior.

Step 3. Press 1 a couple more times over the next 2 seconds.
-Warrior uses some other ability, either a debuff or a taunt (I can't remember).
-Everyone else moves a little bit to break follow. Some of them then cast a debuff on the target. I think the cleric casts a shield on the tank, too.

Step 4. Move the warrior to the target, if not already in melee range.

Step 5. Spam 2 until the target dies.
-Warrior does his combat rotation (builders/finishers)
-Rogue does his combat rotation (builders/finishers)
-Mage does his combat rotation (fireball spam)
-Bard does his combat rotation (motifs then builders/finishers)
-Cleric does his combat rotation (spam Overflowing Renewal)

I can't open Rift right not to take a screenshot, but there are some options you need to enable in options/interface/combat or something along those lines. First is smart targeting, second is cast on target of target.

So if your cleric is assisting your warrior, and casts a damage spell, your cleric casts that spell on the enemy that is targeted. On the other hand, if your cleric casts a heal, he casts it on the person that that enemy is targeting (hence, target of your target).

This means that your cleric will spam heals on whoever the enemy is hitting, usually your tank. To make it even easier, the Warden (Cleric) soul has a heal called Overflowing Renewal that applies any extra healing to other members of the party. I spam this heal to keep the tank at full health; any extra healing beyond what the tank needs keeps the rest of the party at full health.

Edit: I made a picture!

Good stuff, Jeran! Do you by chance do any PvP? If so, do you have a different macro setup?

Thanks!
<<

xddx

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Refering to each hilighted box/circles starting from:-

(1): In the image above was step 1 and step 2 done with using Mapped Key Wizard? Also what is the purpose of virtual combat key map?

(2): Was this made with the Mapped Key Wizard?

(3) and (4): Could you show or explain what is in those steps in detail?

(5): How do you tie this up so that when you press hotkey "1" in combat they press the corresponding keybinds in-game?

I am now lvl 9 not much progress really mainly because I am still trying to wrap my head around all this and how it works to press "1", "2" or "3" that it uses certainly abilities on different classes. I might short circuit my brain from this lol. And I was hoping to familiarize myself with this rather than later when fights actually get tougher.
<<

Jeran

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:42 pm

My guys are only level 25 right now, and I haven't played a max level character or done any PvP in Rift for a couple years. But a lot of this is trial and error, so once you figure out the basics you can start building rotations for different circumstances, and adding complexity in the form of better macros, more/better click bars, and that sort of thing.

Later today/tomorrow I'll put a guide together explaining what I have set up now, how I set it up, and how I did the first two Defiant instances* with it. Basically the stuff in this thread, with more clarity and organization =)

*warning: attempting Gatekeeper Kaleida at level 23 is highly inadvisable.
Last edited by Jeran on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

xddx

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Your effort is greatly appreciated Jeran. I look forward to your guide :mrgreen:
<<

Jeran

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Edit: Tutorial is up at viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4207
<<

xddx

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:27 am

I must say that your tutorial is amazing! It helped me through the 1st dungeon no problems had a few wipes the 1st time because well it is my 1st time in a Rift dungeon.

Took me a few hours to set everything up just because I really took my time with settings everything up bit by bit and to also understand how everything works.

Wont post on the tutorial thread you have on there incase you would want to add more stuff to it.

Also the next time I resub for ISboxer ill add your friend code as a token of gratitude :D
<<

Jeran

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks, though I'm not sure the friend code works like that =P

I'm glad you completed the first dungeon! It is pretty straightforward, since you can just tank every spawn and every boss, although the last guy does force you to move your entire party during the fight. Reaver makes the tanking way easier, since you just AoE tank everything rather than getting aggro on individual targets one at a time.

The second defiant dungeon gets more interesting, not only because of the combination of /follow and tons of narrow walkways that you can (will) fall off, but also because you actually need to do a lot more during the boss fights. For example, when fighting Gregori and switching to the other three undead mages, my auto-assist / healing macro combo led to my tank no longer getting heals, at least some of the time, so for that fight I had to make a change to my cleric's rotation within isboxer. Dodging the big rock boss's knockback is kinda interesting. And then there's the Gatekeeper...oh the soul repair bills...I had the auto-assist/healing macro issue when targeting the crystals. Plus, good luck figuring out the right positioning when some/all your dudes keep getting knocked around by flying crystals! Separating your tank from your other four guys, having a dps character as your main screen, and using formations to spread out (or just bunching up, eating the aoe, and then all moving) ended up working. Eventually.

Once you get an instance cleared, /resetinstances is your friend. Walk out, enter that on the group leader, go back in to a fresh instance. Gotta get all that loot/xp!

Feel free to post in the tutorial thread. I've already added some stuff to part 5 - FTL assist/follow and a repeater bar!
PreviousNext

Return to RIFT