FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Anyone OC NVidia and having stability issues?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Berserker

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Anyone OC NVidia and having stability issues?

I *believe* this is an issue with RIFT, rather than with IS or ISBoxer, but the issue seems to occur when fast switching between characters. Basically, the vid card driver punts and then has to be restarted by windows (which will rarely crash everything if, for some reason like stray neutrinos from Jupiter, it can't restart the driver). I've tested with default card settings and I haven't seen the problem (yet).

I believe this is a RIFT issue since I can run my max OC with IS and ISBoxer while 5-boxing in DAoC with no issues, but with RIFT I can barely run my slowest OC with any kind of reliability and only dual boxing, but maybe its something in the windows switching code.

System specs:
E6400 Wolfdale at 4.25Ghz, 8GB GSkill DDR3-1600, EVGA 790i Ultra, 2 SLI'd EVGA 8800GTS 512's -- running 2 monitors while testing (BENq 24, DELL 19)

My fast OC for the cards is: 821 chip clock/1836 shader clock/1111 memory clock
The slow OC with decent results is: 785 / 1962 / 972 (stock memory clock)

EDIT: I should also note that I ran DAoC in full screen mode since starting it in windows mode seemed to ignore all the windows settings in the game. I may try again in RIFT, with FS mode enabled to see if this cuts down on the instability issues (since I'm SLI'd anyway...). I will also try to disable SLI and plug the monitors in to seperate gfx cards.
<<

Berserker

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: Anyone OC NVidia and having stability issues?

Ok, in FS mode, I'm getting much better framerates (makes sense since it's using the SLI now) and it appears to be much more stable. I'm able to run an 800/1856/1100 OC -- still no joy on the max OC, but its negligible at this point IMO.

Of course, the update from Lax (virtual cfg files) also helped as I'm able to put the slave account on min gfx settings and set the camera to a very small viewpane.

Three cheers for Lax :)

Return to RIFT