FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Would I benefit from moving Innerspace to an SSD?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bollwerk

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Would I benefit from moving Innerspace to an SSD?

Would there be any performance (or loading time) benefit to moving Innerspace to an SSD?
I ask because I bought an SSD recently and moved WOW to it, but loading times don't seem much faster. I've tested the SSD speed and it is benchmarking as expected (read speeds of about 300Mbps)
Other (possibly) relevant specs:
Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300
Intel Core 2 quad core - Q6600 at 2.4GHz
8 GB RAM
Win 7 x64
I also use an 8GB flash drive dedicated to Ready Boost.

I also seem to lag out (I'm assuming from texture loading) when flying over (or walking through) crowded parts of Stormwind (AH/bank area). At least 2-3 toons will break /follow from this.

I 5-box on this PC, with all video settings at low (except draw distance is good on 1 toon).
<<

mustangcobra

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Would I benefit from moving Innerspace to an SSD?

Well I came here to this board to ask a question after beating my head on a wall, but as a first time poster when i saw this I thought I bet I could really answer some of those questions your having, here are my specs for my machine (very similar):

Intel Xeon X3220 (think Q6600 same thing) clocked @3400 Mhz (4 core)
8 Gig Ram
Win 7 x64

I recently moved from a 260gtx and noticed a big improvement in keyclone boxing, I recently switched is ISBoxer, and new to it, but I can tell ya that moving from a 260gtx Nvidia to a ATI 5870 was a big improvement, you can see similar gains from going to a Nvidia 470 or the new 570. The reason I feel this is very close to your situation is I didn't see what video card you use, but possibly you can upgrade the video card if that is the bottleneck,,,

going forward, I also have noticed when I'm running around Org, (used to be DAL where I had the problem) that I'm maxing out all 4 cores on my CPU, its the same chip you have just a server version (xeon), same specs. To get rid of that bottleneck I'm going to a I7, now any i7 should make quite a improvement over the q6600 (core 2 era) but I'm choosing to go with the i7-970 6 core, they are really cheap on ebay right now ($600) compared to on say newegg ($879). When my new parts arrive if the price range is out of reach for some here one test I'm gonna do is disable 2 of the cores in the bios so it runs like a 4 core and see if I see a big improvement. If so we'd know if just going to a 4 core i7 would do, but I can tell ya one thing, I'm totally maxed out on this chip that is the same as a Q6600 and I'm even overclocking it from 2.4 Ghz to 3.4 Ghz. One thing you can do is run task manager in the background and when you are having problems see if you maxing out your cpu cycles. What is a really big hit for multiple copies of wow despite what version of boxing you do is that it can be very CPU intensive.

You can help by turning graphics down on the slaves toons (as you have done) but if thats not enough short of an upgrade the only thing I can think of is to make sure you have "instant swap" turned off (if you are using ISBoxer), that is located under Window Layouts, then you toon names, then under the Main region switcher.

If you want others to chime in for some more ideas let us know what your video card you are running is also.

One reason you are seeing the SSD not helping so much in this particular situation is the SSD although they can greatly help loading times and situations where fast I/O rates are needed (which is great for wow especially when running multiple copies) it can't help so much to improve an issue if its like my issue where I'm just plain maxing out CPU cycles. I even have a 23 Hard drive Raid (450mbps transfers) and it didn't help these situations. Hope this is of some hope for ya, upgrading Video card helped alot for me and next going with CPU swap. I'll post here when I get it and try it out but its gonna be a week before it gets here and got it goin.
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:28 pm

I asked Lax that, quite a while back.

He said, IS on the SSD isn't really any gain.
Aside from the initial start up, where your profile is loaded, there isn't any need for IS to read your hard drive.

I would think the CPU was the largest bottleneck in your system.

I had:
Q6600 (stock)
8GB DDR2 (800mhz)
Evga Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon 4870X2
150 GB Raptor
Vista 64-bit

Upgraded to:
i7 920 (stock)
12GB DDR3 (1600mhz)
Asus Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon 4870X2
150 GB Raptor
Vista 32-bit

Yup, 32-bit was correct, although not what I wanted. Even with only 2GB of ram (video card had 2GB already), the system ran much smoother then the previous system.
Previously, mounted toons in AV would lose follow fairly regularly.
After the upgrade, even with 2GB of system ram, follow on epic flyers would not break unless they were stuck on something; very rarely, the lead toon with Crusader Aura could lose one.

Got the 64-bit Vista put back on.
And with all the ram, mounted toons don't break follow in AV/SW/Ogr/Dal/WG, etc.
Haven't tried Tol Barad yet, but likely won't be an issue.

The CPU is the single largest thing for Warcraft.
Well, not enough ram can be a cheaper upgrade, but that's not going to be a bottleneck with 8GB for 5-boxing.

You could run the Perfmon utility.
To see if anything reaches 100%, to give you an idea of what to look at.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

mustangcobra

Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:04 pm

Well guys I got the I7-790 system up and running, I went from 100% cpu usage with jerking in org to this: 72-120 fps on the main with the slaves running 15fps in the background. My new cpu usage never goes above 21% usage max, most the time I'm hitting 16-17% usage. I'm still in disbelief how much faster the new system is vs the old. I figured I'd be at 50-75% usage. Maybe going from 8gb ram to 16gb ram has helped also....

old system:

Xeon x3220 (q6600) at 3ghz x 4 (12 ghz overclocked)
8 gig ddr2
5870 graphics
settings on fair on the main with lots of jerking in org and slaves in background at 10fps

new system:

I7-790 at 4ghz x 6 (24 ghz overclocked)
16 gig ddr3
5870 graphics
setttings mostly on high seeing 72-120 fps even in areas where it jerked before, slaves in background at 15fps.
never more than 21% cpu usage

So my conclusion is, any I7 4-6 core system with 12-16gb ram would run multibox wow awesome, just be sure to have a decent video card

Return to Multiboxing Hardware