FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Video Card... Is more Vram or stronger GPU better?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

nodoze

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:28 am

Video Card... Is more Vram or stronger GPU better?

When multi-boxing 5+ WoW clients, is it better for the Video Card to have more Vram or a stronger GPU?

currently the two cards I am looking at are:

- AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 1GB;

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - 2GB;

Since I am using ISBoxer on one monitor with multiple WoW running, I am not sure if the video card's GPU or Vram is more important.

I believe the HD6870 is a stronger GPU but the GTX460 has double the Vram (2GB vs 1GB).

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:38 am

Re: Video Card... Is more Vram or stronger GPU better?

Great question, I am sure a lot of people would benefit from the answer to this one.

The answer, hands down, is the GPU.

Adding more RAM (be it VRAM, system RAM, etc) is ONLY useful when you would otherwise run out. 1GB is plenty for multiboxing today's MMOs. Your VRAM is mostly going to be consumed by textures, and the screen buffers (each pixel on the screen probably uses at least 4 bytes, so a 1920x1200 window for example probably would use about 9MB). Textures are also typically moved between system RAM and VRAM as needed, so your system RAM can usually pick up the slack.

A faster GPU, on the other hand, (or faster VRAM) is going to improve overall performance (FPS). Always. And that's why faster GPU > more VRAM. :)
<<

nodoze

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Video Card... Is more Vram or stronger GPU better?

Thanks LAX !

Return to Multiboxing Hardware