FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

CPU Layout, The Best for AMD FX-8350 [WOW]

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Cevandri

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:31 pm

CPU Layout, The Best for AMD FX-8350 [WOW]

Hiya, Not sure if this is the correct forum. but I hope so.

so I got a AMD FX-8350. and I was thinking of setting up my CPU's to per toon and hopefully gain more FPS on main so I can enjoy better Graphics on it.
Currently I am running smooth with no special configs with medium setting on all clients

5 Characters - Dual Monitor (Might be Triple in future if I get another monitor stand for the 3rd one) - Single Computer
Information about AMD FX 8350
It's a bit special compared to other AMD CPU's mostly due ot it uses 2 Cores per thread like old Intel did. a bit confused which ones are which. I think 0+1, 2+3, 4+5, 6+7 (yes its a 8core one)

if u got any other tips for my setup
AMD FX 8350 clocked @ 4,8ghz
32GB DDR3 1600mhz Ram. (I think it was 1600mhz)
Nvidia GTX 970
Running WoW on a SSD (SATA6Gbits). but I can switch over to 4xSoft Raided HDD's (SATA 6gbits) same preformance on terms of transfer but SSD's have better Seek I believe

So my setup isn't a problem at all. just which CPU layout I should use... Currently I am using no special setup (all cores to all clients)
Notes: I run a lot of background software, such as Steelseries Engine 3, Logitech G, uTorrent, Raptr, Plex Media Server, Steam, Origin and others. and I got Chrome up 24/7 & Firefox quite alot (Firefox has minium of 15 tabs all the time, can be up to 50+ while Chrome as minium of 3 up to 20)... well the only time I close all those software are when I play Osu! but then I do a reboot. I know RAM isn't a problem. I was just thinking of CPU layout.
I was thinking of a layout
Core 0 + 1 = Main Slot
Core 2 + 3 = 2nd & 3rd Slot
Core 4 + 5 = 4th & 5th Slot
Core 6 + 7 = Not Assigned to or maybe put them to All?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:17 am

Re: CPU Layout, The Best for AMD FX-8350 [WOW]

I'm not entirely sure why you're asking since...

Cevandri wrote:Currently I am running smooth with no special configs with medium setting on all clients

So my setup isn't a problem at all. just which CPU layout I should use... Currently I am using no special setup (all cores to all clients)

...but to answer your question, there is no "right" CPU Strategy to use -- It's whatever works best for you because everyone's machine is different.

Also, raptr has been known to cause issues with Inner Space loading game clients, and running a ton of browser tabs in the background (especially things like YouTube) can easily impact your performance while playing.
<<

Cevandri

Post Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: CPU Layout, The Best for AMD FX-8350 [WOW]

MiRai wrote:I'm not entirely sure why you're asking since...

Cevandri wrote:Currently I am running smooth with no special configs with medium setting on all clients

...but to answer your question, there is no "right" CPU Strategy to use -- It's whatever works best for you because everyone's machine is different.

Also, raptr has been known to cause issues with Inner Space loading game clients, and running a ton of browser tabs in the background (especially things like YouTube) can easily impact your performance while playing.

Agreed, After testing out
Core 0 + 1 = Main Slot
Core 2 + 3 = Slots 2 & 3
Core 4 + 5 = Slots 4 & 5
Core 6 +7 = All slots
Made the game laggier than it was before...
so Running now
Core 0 to 7 = All Slots =) (No plan?)

Return to Multiboxing Hardware