FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

4-way Monitor Advice

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Bocephus666

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:40 pm

4-way Monitor Advice

I currently have 2 Samsung P2570HD monitors, and am looking at purchasing two more monitors and a 4 monitor stand.

Ideally, I'd like to have 4 of the same monitor, but the ones I have now are no longer be manufactured, and I don't feel like purchasing 4 new monitors. So my question for you guys out there that have 4 Monitor setups, do you run all the same size, or do you mix sizes? I was actually thinking about getting two 27" monitors, and was considering the Asus VK278Q, and throwing them on the bottom, with my two existing 24" monitors on top.

Anyway, I'd love to hear any suggestions, advice that anyone has. Or even suggestions on specific monitors, assuming they are in the ~$300 price range.

Thanks!
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Re: 4-way Monitor Advice

If you're happy with the existing monitors, check eBay or Amazon for matches. When I upgraded my system and monitors I was able to match my 10 year old dual monitors with two more and hooked each of my kids up with their own dual monitor setup. Read the descriptions carefully for quality, burned out pixels, etc. I got lucky and found them for like $20 or $25 each.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Personally, I'd recommend sticking with the same size. I think it would be awkward moving from one screen to the other and the mouse cursor being offset every so slightly. I know you're looking at sticking with 1920x1080 on the bigger screens, but the physical screen area is going to be larger, so the three-quarter line of the larger screen is not the three-quarter of the smaller screen (if what I'm saying is making sense). The larger screens won't affect ISBoxer's Repeater because the resolutions will still be the same, but moving the actual cursor from one screen to the other will be slightly off (which may not even be noticeable).

I've gone the eBay route before when expanding my old setup -- I was trying to find some EOL monitors to match what I had and everything worked out. This time, with my new setup, I made it a point to purchase the same monitors because things drive me crazy when they don't match.
<<

Bocephus666

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks guys.

I've already looked into buying some used/refurbished P2570HD's, sadly I can't find any. Well, none without dead pixels or scratches.

I know exactly what you're talking about MiRai, and was concerned about the mouse from monitor to monitor as well. So I guess at this point maybe its best to try and find 4 monitors, instead of just buying two.
<<

Bocephus666

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:12 pm

So I started to do some research on possibly purchasing either 4 24", or 4 27" monitors and my internet tanked... /sigh

Anyway, I'll do some more digging when I can surf the internet on something other than my phone.

Thanks for the input/advice.
<<

Bocephus666

Post Sun May 11, 2014 8:30 am

Thanks for all the advice. I also read a monitor thread or two over at dual-boxing that you contributed to MiRai. I found the information quite helpful. (I was going to link the thread in question, but I seem to be having problems connecting to dual-boxing.com at the moment)

I ended up getting 4 BenQ RL2455HM, which were on sale at Amazon for $179. After getting them all installed, I have to agree with MiRai's post at dual-boxing about 24" being about as big as you want to go with 4 monitors.

I'm still fussing with the arms on the stand, to get the monitors just right, but I'm very happy with the setup I have running. I also decided, to grab a 3rd GTX 760 SC 4GB, sadly I didn't think to validate that I had an actual PCIE power cable available, so I'll have to order one from Corsair, but its currently running D3 just fine with two cards.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware