FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[WoW] Dual Xeon Multibox

Moderator: MiRai

<<

jaumeat

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:27 am

Dual Xeon Multibox

I was wondering if anyone tried or knows about some multiboxing tests in wow, with a dual cpu xeon setup, like next:

Mainboard: Asus Z9pe-d8 Ws
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2620 @ 2Ghz
RAM: 32GB DDR3 Quadchannel setup
GFX: GTX 670 4GB

I was wondering how many wow clients you would be able to have, it seems to be a multithread powerhouse machine, with 24 threads.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Dual Xeon Multibox

jaumeat wrote:I was wondering how many wow clients you would be able to have, it seems to be a multithread powerhouse machine, with 24 threads.

Probably not as many as you were thinking (or wanted) with only a single GTX 670 in there; and from what I've read: Frequency > Threads. So, you would probably get just as much, if not more, performance out of a $1,000 3960X OC'd to 4.5GHz+ for games compared to those low-end Xeons.
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:04 pm

I'd say cores/threads is quite important.

When I was five-boxing, with an i5-2500K (four cores, no logical threads), it was much worse performance then after upgrading to an i7-2600K (four cores, and four logical threads).
Going to an i7-3930K (six cores, six threads), allowed ten clients fairly easily.

In the case of Wow, CPU is more important than Video for a lot of the game effects.
The only elements which were really video dependent were: Shadows, Water Reflections, Spell Effects, Weather Effects, etc.
Almost every other setting was more CPU dependent.

That said, the bottleneck is still going to be video ram.
You need a minimum amount to launch a client, and even if you have everything on minimum once you reach whatever the video ram limitation is... that is the bottleneck.

I'd imagine, once you reach that threshold, having more cores is going to be a bigger performance boost than having fewer cores to play with.
But I don't really know a whole lot regarding the Xeon processors, so cannot comment on their relative power vs the gaming processors.
With gaming processors i5-2500K, i7-2600K, i7-3930K, etc... more cores was highly beneficial.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

jaumeat

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:14 am

I think that I saw some time ago someone in twitch using a xeon setup with ISBoxer, but forgot who...

About VRAM I think that with 4GB DDR5 in a high speed bus like the 670 (ie. not the 192 bit of a 660) should be plenty enough to load many clients on low/fair.

About CPU I think that one core of those xeon seems plenty enough to run wow, maybe not at 60fps, but a slave at 10 fps, should be fine.
Since wow seems to get most of the profit from 2 cores, it seems logical to assign 2 full cores (2 physical + 2 HT) to the main window.

All theories :)
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 am

jaumeat wrote:a high speed bus like the 670 (ie. not the 192 bit of a 660)

To be fair, the 670 uses GDDR5 and a 256-bit bus which is the lowest memory interface width that nVidia has used on any other top-tier GDDR5 card since... ever (The GTX 280 was 512-bit, but it was GDDR3). The top-tier 6xx series got a lot of flack from the enthusiast community because of it's lower memory bus and I'd be willing to wager that at extremely high resolution benchmarks it begins to show. nVidia has since moved back to the 384-bit bus in its latest release of the 7xx series.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware