FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Temporary banned for Multi-Clienting

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Kichi

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:09 am

Temporary banned for Multi-Clienting

I would like to give you all a heads-up before deciding to start multiple accounts of Star Trek Online from Perfect World Entertainment / Arc games. It will potentially save yourself from lost time, headache, and money spent into the game.

I received a ban across my accounts so I sent them a email asking for the reason. Their response:
Response By Email (Kelias) (01/27/2016 04:25 PM)
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us!
Your account is banned for 24 hours due to multi-clienting. This ban will be automatically removed after 24 hours. Unfortunately, we will not be able to remove the ban and you will need to wait until it expires.

Regards,
Kelias
Game Master
Perfect World Entertainment
http://support.arcgames.com/

With such a lame reason, logging in multiple clients will you get banned. So what am I supposed to do with the others accounts now, am I suppose to make sure I sign off before signing onto another one or I will be slapped with a ban again? What an absurd rule. Best to leave this game, and possibly their other titles to avoid such problems.
<<

ashlotte

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:30 am

Re: Breaking News: Multi-Clienting Not Allowed

WOW. That's horrible news! Apparently another player has been banned as well 3 days ago for 24 hours. I'm unsure if it's you or not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4 ... t_allowed/ <---

This is a harrowing development. Would you mind explaining what exactly you were doing and where you were before you were banned? I've multi-boxed for several months back in 2014 or 2015. Summer event Lohlunat farming and dilithium farming in player-created foundry spot light missions and the likes. I was OK with no issues.

The reason I'm asking is to discern if the ban was placed by a GM who "detected" you (which for the most part I've heard was impossible to do) or due to a player reporting you for "suspicious activity" such as having several accounts with similar names , @handles, the same ships, or obviously moving around in a very public area or a queued public instance simultaneously.

*Any* information at all that you could give us would be an extremely big help for the sake of us all. There's still scores of us who still multi-box and cherish our accounts dearly!
<<

lill1thjaden

Post Thu May 05, 2016 7:05 am

Re: Breaking News: Multi-Clienting Not Allowed

Can i ask lax to double check that this isnt a one off event please. I have multiple accounts on sto all of which have funds either still attached or have already purchased items in game. I have been unable to login for weeks using isboxer as the new process for sto is to load through the launchers, even when attempting to launch via the .exe
please say it isnt so lax...
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu May 05, 2016 8:07 am

Re: Temporary banned for Multi-Clienting

I do not doubt that OP was banned. On the plus side, this has been the only report ever of this happening to someone in STO, and I haven't seen anything officially stating a rule like this.. I can only say that other people have been multiboxing STO with ISBoxer at least to some degree, and have not reported any problems. I don't have any other details on that though.

I will say I've been banned from an MMO where it was allowed before (RIFT), but I managed to appeal and get it overturned by a senior GM; sometimes they are wrong about the rules...
<<

lill1thjaden

Post Thu May 05, 2016 9:29 am

sorry to bug you again, but you dont have a workaround for the launcher problems im facing? i have tried multiple options so far... isboxer launches multiple windows, scales them, but when i put in my details i cannot get passed the login screen, it just states that it could not connect at this time or times out.
<<

Valerian

ISBoxer Support Team

Post Thu May 05, 2016 9:37 am

Well, it's not a single GM, that's evident. That's two different GMs replying that multi-clienting is against their rules, as of late January. Neither of those is displaying a Senior GM title, so it could still be misinterpretation by them, but without any official public statement anywhere...

That said, I believe the basic Is ISBoxer Allowed "Good Citizen" thing likely applies. We can offer no guarantees when game companies go insane.
<<

lill1thjaden

Post Thu May 05, 2016 9:52 am

at least with me the PVP arguement is void... i dont PVP! i just really like being able to manage content alone and feel that most games are just too easy if you have a full, fully geared, role responsible team, so i prefer to challenge myself a little more. The only "cheating" i could ever be accused of is that i dont have to use other players to level either my guilds, or my crafting, surely this isnt "cheating" but does move away from the main purpose of MMOs which i believe would be playing with others and meeting new people.
<<

oathblade

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:24 am

I spoke to customer service and to their public rep and got odd answers.

Laughingtrendy said as far as she knew there wasnt anything against it but I shoudl ask customer service.

In Livechat with a CSR he said they heavily discourage multiboxing. When I asked why he said multi clienting was against their terms of service. I asked for a link and he gave me the normal TOS - and it doesnt mention multi clienting.

Since Ive been using multiple clients for ... 6 years now or so and not heard a peep about this its a surprise to me. I know they had a massive issue with farmers running parties so I would assume that's just a reflex they have to reports of groups.

Return to Star Trek Online