FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[STO] Follow and assist set-up.

Moderator: MiRai

<<

tinorris

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Follow and assist set-up.

Hello,

I just started to box STO and I can't seem to find the key bind for follow and assist. For right now I switch screens and tell them to follow the main, but I'm having to do that at each map load. I was wondering if there was a better way of getting follow and assist working and if you don't mind sharing how to get it set-up. Thank you for your time and help.

Randall
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:06 am

Re: Follow and assist set-up.

http://www.stowiki.org/Key_binds

Star Trek has a key binding for "Follow target", directly beneath "Crouch mode" in the in-game Key Bindings options. I set mine to F11. The game also has a key binding for "Crew Attack My Target" in the Targeting section; this is used in place of the "assist my target" system built into many games.

So to get follow working, set the in-game key binding to something, and then follow works as described and shown in the video here http://isboxer.com/wiki/Common_modifications#The_game.27s_Key_Bindings

For assist, set the "Crew Attack My Target" key binding to something, and then making your team assist you is as easy as pressing that Hotkey. :)
<<

Ridosaw

ISBoxer Support Team

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm

I have GOOD news and BAD news, and then, GOOD news again.

Good news is: In STO there are key bindings, in the Key bind Tab, for Follow and Assist. Lax explained how to set these up in this thread.

Bad news is: This wont work in space. Reason is, there are no key binds for follow or assist listed in the space key bindings tab in game. They don't exist. They do for ground though.

Good news is: You can make them exist (sort of).

STO has a very vast open command system available in game. To see all the commands while in game, type /cmdlist in chat and press enter. Also you can see what commands STO uses for the various key bindings in the key binding tab, by just hovering your mouse over them. A tool tip appears with the key binds name and the command that STO uses. Here they are online http://sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_console_commands

As Lax stated. STO has an ASSIST but is not titled ASSIST in the Ground section of the Key Binds tab. It's Titled "CREW ATTACK MY TARGET"
And the command for it is "/PetCommands_Set AllToOwnerAttackTarget" With out the Quotation marks :)

In STO there is a key binding file for each character created. This file is in the STO folder on your computer. You can create a key bind in STO using the "/bind" command this command can do much more than that. See this guide here http://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Keybinds

Here's what you need to do to get FOLLOW and ASSIST working while in Space. You will be using the "/bind' and "/follow" commands to bind FOLLOW in space to a key. You must be in Space to set up a key bind for Space. Same for Ground, you must be on the ground to set up a key bind for Ground. So Beam up to Space, so that you are in your ship. The syntax you will use is "/bind <key> <command>" without the quotes. So to set lets say F12 to FOLLOW. You will type in chat "/bind F12 Follow" and press enter. To set up ASSIST in Space to lets say F11. You will type in chat "/bind F11 PetCommands_SetAllToOwnerAttackTarget" and press enter.

While in Space, F12 will now be FOLLOW, and F11 will now be ASSIST. You will not see these key binds listed in the Key Binds Tab in game but they will exist in your characters Key Bind file in the STO directory. These bindings will persist through log out for that character until you over write them. You will need to do this for each character in your team.

Oh, by the way, if you are planning on using any of the F keys F1-F12 for a key bind in the "/bind syntax, simply pressing the F whatever key wont work in STO. While using the "/bind command you have to spell out the F key your using. So for lets say you want to use F10, you will have to type the letter F then type 1 then type 0.

Enjoy :roll:
Last edited by Ridosaw on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:38 pm

That helps to know, thanks for sharing this info! :)
<<

IrishAstronut

Post Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:22 pm

I used the standard bind file commands that the ISBoxer quick setup wizard generates and it worked like a charm! Just gotta remember to load the bind file once in game :)
Dual-Boxing.com forum name: Riiker
<<

Xtremepayne

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Being that you have to type out the name of key, What is the name for num 9 key spelled out? I am trying as close as I can duplicate what I have in Lotro. Which is why I want to use the number keys. This way I don't have to relearn as much as I switch back and forth between the 2 games.
<<

Kaische

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:30 pm

According to the STO wiki Guide: Keybinds#Special Keys & Names it should be numpad9.

To use the above example:

/bind numpad9 PetCommands_SetAllToOwnerAttackTarget
<<

Xtremepayne

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks, when I get home tonight, I will set it up and try it out :)
<<

Xtremepayne

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:50 am

With F2 to target group leader in a 2 member team and numpad9 set to follow it works well. Thanks for the info on the numpad 9 and the /bind info.

Return to Star Trek Online