FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mouse doesn't click and system unresponsive

Moderator: MiRai

<<

davidruth

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Mouse doesn't click and system unresponsive

I love playing STO, however, multiboxing is a challenge. But I admit to only playing one char for a while but i started to use all three accounts. I did a default setup just so I could log in and do the Cochram event. Well my GPU spiked to 100% on both of my Nvidia Geforce GTX 660Ti cards running in SLI mode. It has never done that and I had ran 5 instances, also when trying to click on any of the menu items it would not click I would have to double click or many clicks to finally get it to check a box or click on a menu button. If I run the game by itself without ISBoxer all is well. I'm puzzled and not sure what to check or do next. I tried to downgrade the quality and still no luck GPU tops out at 100%. Any suggestions or did STO make it hard to use ISBoxer? I also tried it just using 2 accounts and same thing. I tried one standalone and one with isboxer one char use and made the standalone very slow and topping out my GPU at 100%. Any ideas or suggestions on what to do? Also is there a way to clear out all settings so I can get to default I tried in the menu but no go :(.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Re: Mouse doesn't click and system unresponsive

So, ISBoxer will force your game into Windowed mode, and you should also make sure the in game settings are also Windowed. SLI is mostly only a Full screen mode (it can work in Windowed, but support for this is varied).

For the most part, you don't always get a lot of joy with multiboxing and SLI. You also need to be aware that ISBoxer will run all your games Active, whereas when you run them yourself, the games can detect they are "in the background", and thus use a less performant game loop. Depends on the game if it is coded this way, but most are.

Other things to be aware of is that ISBoxer, under a default setup, will run all your games at the same resolution (the size of the Active region), which will impact your graphics cards, especially if you were not doing this before. If you use a display surround setup, this can be quite taxing.

If you happen to have multiple monitors and they are plugged into different graphics cards, then you can also get in the situation where the game is rendered on one card, but displayed on the other, and this also hurts performance. This may or may not apply under SLI, but that does depend on whether SLI is actually working or not.

Finally, to clear out all settings. In the tookit, use File -> Clear, and have all the boxes ticked. This will set the current profile to empty. If you want to remove menu items from InnerSpace, then use File -> Export with a clear profile.
<<

davidruth

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Thanks Lax, I should also mention that I did have it in non-sli mode. I put it in sli mode to see if I could balance out the gpu processing as one card was maxing out at 100% while the other one was at 19% doing nothing.

How do I set it so that it will lower the rendering on the games in the background so it won't tax the gpu or did I missunderstand your response? I do have all three windows on their own monitor at full resolution so it sounds like I may need to change the window layout to a single monitor with 3 slots below?

I used to play EVE Online with 10 characters with isboxer before they "banned" multiboxing that way. I never seemed to have performance issues with that Game, with that said I know STO is different but it seems odd that only 3 sto char max out the gpu but 10 eve clients don't. Maybe it is the resolution, which I tried to change in STO but that didn't appear to make a difference. The whole response acts like a low end laptop with crappy graphics card and doesn't respond well, so I was hoping that maybe I had a checkbox checked/unchecked that would fix it :(.
<<

bob

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:41 pm

davidruth wrote:Thanks Lax
Funnily enough, Lax uses the username Lax, not altbob.

davidruth wrote:How do I set it so that it will lower the rendering on the games in the background so it won't tax the gpu or did I missunderstand your response?
In order for ISBoxer to work as it does, all games run as though they are the foreground. This means it doesn't lower FPS, turn off sound, or go into a modified game loop, like some games do when you background them. You unfortunately cannot change this.

davidruth wrote: I do have all three windows on their own monitor at full resolution so it sounds like I may need to change the window layout to a single monitor with 3 slots below?
OK, this does beg the question of whether the GPU that is being taxed, is directly connected to the actual monitor displaying the games. If you have some "cross-monitor swapping", which is where the game is rendered on a GPU which is not directly connected by the physical cable to the monitor that the game is being displayed on, then that will burn up GPU resources very quickly. from your earlier description of one at 100% and the other at 19%, that does sound like what is going on. To work around this, you need a Window Layout which makes sure the games do not cross monitors handled by other GPU's. A real easy way to do this would be to create a Stacked Window layout using the Window Layout Wizard, and then modify the resulting layout to move the regions each to their own display (as it appears you want to have each game on it's own display).
<<

davidruth

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:56 pm

bob wrote:Funnily enough, Lax uses the username Lax, not altbob.

I'm sorry bob for some reason I saw just three letters and assumed it was lax, my appologies.

So when I had it in non sli mode I had 2 monitors on one card and the other 2 on the second card. So they were on their own GPU. So that would make sense if those 2 monitors max out at 100% because they are on the same card.

Right now in SLI mode I have two monitors plugged in to the DVI, one plugged into the HDMI, and one for the DisplayPort (which I don't have a cable yet). They are on Card one because SLI won't let me plug them into the secondary card in DVI slots that I had the other 2 monitors in. SO non SLI mode was each monitor was plugged in the DVI spot (2 per card).

I'm going to assume that due to the taxing of the gpu processor this would explain why mouseclicks do not works as they should. I will have to see what I can do to not tax the GPU, or may need to get a new video card <shrug>.

Thanks again bob, sorry about the mix up on your name.
<<

bob

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:04 pm

davidruth wrote:Thanks again bob, sorry about the mix up on your name.
No worries. I mucked up my own name too :).

Return to Star Trek Online