FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Trouble Running 3 Groups of Characters in EQ

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Eqwerty

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Trouble Running 3 Groups of Characters in EQ

Thanks Jonesy. I missed the comment from LAX regarding the cores. I made that change, as well as bumped the FPS down to 30/15 this morning and still the same result. I was able to use the process explorer, which unfortunately everything looked ok there too.

GPU Usage was 37.55%
GPU Dedicated Memory 547 of 1,019
GPU System Memory 966 of of 3,932

Once I'm home from work this afternoon I'll try it again, post screenshots of process explorer, hardware monitor, and isboxer output again to make sure I didnt miss something.

I really do appreciate the time you guys have put into looking at my issues!
<<

Eqwerty

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Played around with it and discovered my change to the core assignments weren't actually happening. Manually assigned all cores and it improved dramatically at 30/20 fps and 800 by 600. Will play around with it til I find the sweet spot, but over all looks positive!! May upgrade my core to get more out it, but leaps and bounds from where I was. Thanks again for every ones input
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:37 am

Eqwerty wrote:GPU Usage was 37.55%
GPU Dedicated Memory 547 of 1,019
GPU System Memory 966 of of 3,932

Something is wrong somewhere as the GPU system memory should be much lower and the Dedicated memory higher.

My suspicion is that there is much demand for your graphics resources so it is spending all it's time swapping textures and other things between the two, and not a lot of processing is going on, either on the cpu or the gpu. As memory transfers are a fire and forget task, then the cpu/gpu could present itself as not busy, because there are bus transfers going on in the background.

Of course you could also be getting large amounts of context switches on your CPU too, so it spends the majority of its time swapping between threads and not enough processing.

Essentially, the problems started when you run 18 instances of a game on the same computer when you were previously running 12. if 12 works, and 18 doesn't, then it implies there are not enough resources. Finding out what is happening is the tricky part, even when some tools look to indicate nothing is going on, you can't always trust them (e.g. Windows Task Manager -> System Idle is used to measure time spent processing in the Windows kernel, and not just doing nothing).

p.s I'm glad you are getting some results!
Previous

Return to General discussion