FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

12900k multiboxing with diablo 3

Moderator: MiRai

<<

icxnamjah

Post Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:28 pm

12900k multiboxing with diablo 3

Hi everyone,

I know this chip just came out and I am sure not a lot of people even have them yet, but I was wondering if isboxer running in windows 11 would take advantage of thread director? Would I see significant multibox performance (less stuttering, more consistent fps between clients, etc.) than my current 9900k if I upgraded? I also run a 3090 but my FPS is usually all over the place for some reason especially during very high GRs and large dense packs in Diablo 3 which I hoped would be mitigated using such a high-end gpu (I run only my main client at max graphics @ 3440 x 1400 resolution and lowest possible settings on my other clients at the same resolution).

Thank you.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Re: 12900k multiboxing with diablo 3

The "thread director" is all Windows. Nothing to do with ISBoxer.

ISBoxer can set affinity, which means you can limit which cores are available to execute the code for each game. This could result in an interesting issue with the new intel chips with their big/little cores, as you wouldn't want to limit a game to only little cores.

With this in mind, the recommendation with the new CPUs is probably going to be the same as the current recommendation for games like D2R, which also has some interesting performance issues at times (although this is more because it is not terribly optimized).
Choose the "select no CPUs, let the game do it" option in the CPU strategy Wizard. This is essentially the exact same as running several games at the same time without ISBoxer and just letting Windows (and its scheduler) take care of which game runs on which thread.
<<

icxnamjah

Post Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Re: 12900k multiboxing with diablo 3

bob wrote:The "thread director" is all Windows. Nothing to do with ISBoxer.

ISBoxer can set affinity, which means you can limit which cores are available to execute the code for each game. This could result in an interesting issue with the new intel chips with their big/little cores, as you wouldn't want to limit a game to only little cores.

With this in mind, the recommendation with the new CPUs is probably going to be the same as the current recommendation for games like D2R, which also has some interesting performance issues at times (although this is more because it is not terribly optimized).
Choose the "select no CPUs, let the game do it" option in the CPU strategy Wizard. This is essentially the exact same as running several games at the same time without ISBoxer and just letting Windows (and its scheduler) take care of which game runs on which thread.

Thanks for the response! I will give that a try!

Return to General