Post Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 pm

.Net Framework 3.5 - Possiable Solution

I spent the last three days trying to find a solution to my windows updater not being able to download and install .Net Framework 3.5. Nothing worked until I found this solution so i thought I would share:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... fcb80e8f2f

Try resetting the software distribution folder:

Before carrying out this procedure, disconnect from the Internet. That means turning off Wi-Fi and disconnecting from a wired connection. If you don't, Windows 10 will indicate some files are in use and cannot be modified or the command will be non-responsive. Also, you should restart your computer after disconnecting from the Internet. The easiest way to do it is to enable Airplane mode from the Action Center.

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Typethe following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

The update Windows Update might be trying to install is kb4041676.

Its causing a lot of problems for systems with Windows 10 1703.

This is Microsoft's current fix at the moment:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/404909...

I would avoid installing it until Microsoft issues a future cumulative update that surpasses it.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com