FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

64-bit ISBoxer Suite?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Finney

Post Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:29 am

64-bit ISBoxer Suite?

Over time, my profiles have gotten huge. I have tried to break them into smaller pieces, but they've almost become like libraries of functions. Right now, my primary profile is 13 MBs.

Even with that, when I first start my computer, the ISBoxer editor moves around them pretty snappily. But as the computer uptime grows and I edit more things in the tool, it will slow to a crawl. It can take up to 7 or 8 seconds for a simple edit, and much longer to export the new profile to Inner Space. The only solution I've found is to reboot and pick up where I've left off.

I've taken to using a third-party XML editor to do a lot of the heavy lifting, but of course that requires knowing how to build the XML structures for ISBoxer etc, and there ends up being quite a bit of back and forth with the ISBoxer editor in any case.

So I was wondering if it were possible to get a 64-bit version of the ISBoxer Suite editor, and how much effort that would be? Somehow I'll bet it's more than just setting a couple compiler flags.

(Or if anyone else has seen this, what have you tried to speed things up?)

Thanks.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:23 am

Re: 64-bit ISBoxer Suite?

A 64bit toolkit wont solve that.

The main issue is the huge amount of validation that goes on every time you change something. Because a large amount of items are loosely connected, and people really like it if they rename something that everything else all gets auto updated, then there is constant scanning, rewrite, going on, and this can end up recursing several times.

Not 100% on why it would get slower and slower. Usually if that is the case, then just restarting the application should resolve, but if it requires restarting the computer, then I suspect there is something else going on.
<<

Finney

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:52 am

Re: 64-bit ISBoxer Suite?

Yeah, I agree it's weird that it gets slower over time. I watch the task and it doesn't seem like ISBoxer is consuming any more memory as time goes on, so although it kind of acts like a leak it doesn't look like one. As you say though, a leak should be fixed by restarting the client, and that doesn't do it here.

The 64-bit thought was maybe such a client would be able to deal with large files in memory more easily. Not even sure where I got that idea...probably a false premise.

I'll keep digging. I'll try killling both Inner Space and ISBoxer next time.

Thanks for the reply!

Return to General