Port Forwarding

Moderator: MiRai

<<

blazicks

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:21 pm

Port Forwarding

I have a Netgear Nighthawk and I am trying to do the following:
-----
Inner Space requires TCP port 10101 (configurable per PC) to be open for incoming connections on the PC or PCs that will be connected to from your main PC.

ISBoxer's Multiple Computer Helper (MCH) requires UDP port 10102 to be open for incoming connections on the PC or PCs that will be connected to from your main PC.

Note: The Multiple Computer Helper beacon will broadcast to your local subnet on UDP 10102. UDP broadcasting is blocked on many wireless networks. For reference, broadcast means sending data to an IP like 192.168.1.255. Doing this means the IP packet is delivered to every computer on the subnet. If you are a paranoid firewall guy, you might have blocked this. If you are not, and you are using wireless, it is possible that
your wireless adapter (err: driver) blocks this and never sends the packet, or
your router blocks this so the wireless network doesn't flood.
Normally, wired connections don't block broadcasting, which, if you are on wired, and the MCH's do not connect, then it is most likely local firewall rules on the computer blocking the listener from receiving the incoming broadcast on UDP 10102.
-----
Both PC's are on WIFI and on the same wifi. I am pretty much an idiot and have done everything i know how to do the above but have accomplished nothing. I tried calling netgear but they said they cant help as the support ran out a year ago. I uploaded the screenshot of where I asm stuck. Can anyone give me some assistance so I dont have to pay NETGear $120?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 9.10.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 9.10.12 AM.png (51.79 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
<<

waymirec

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Re: Port Forwarding

If your pc's are both on the same network then you do not need port forwarding. Port forwarding is for connections coming from the outside world to one of your internal PCs. What you need to do is make sure that the firewalls on your computers are allowing the inbound connections to the ports listed. What was also mentioned there was making sure that your router is not blocking broadcasts to your network. A quick search on nighthawk broadcast filtering came up with this which may or may not be relevant: https://kb.netgear.com/000037263/What-a ... ing-Switch
<<

blazicks

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:38 pm

waymirec wrote:If your pc's are both on the same network then you do not need port forwarding. Port forwarding is for connections coming from the outside world to one of your internal PCs. What you need to do is make sure that the firewalls on your computers are allowing the inbound connections to the ports listed. What was also mentioned there was making sure that your router is not blocking broadcasts to your network. A quick search on nighthawk broadcast filtering came up with this which may or may not be relevant: https://kb.netgear.com/000037263/What-a ... ing-Switch

Thanks for this. Is it an issue if both my PC's are on a different IP address? One is xxx.xxx.x.8 and the other is xxx.xxx.x.12
<<

waymirec

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:44 pm

No, your PCs will always be on separate IP addresses, but as long as they are on the same subnet than port forwarding is not a concern. In your case the subnet is most likely identified by the first 3 octets or grouping of numbers: xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy with xx's forming your subnet. Make sure that your windows firewall is allowing the port traffic in and make sure that your wifi ap/router is allowing broadcast traffic, as was mentioned in the beginning post. Broadcasting is a mechanism whereby a source can send packets to all of the devices on a subnet without having to know the specific ip addresses of the destination hosts.
<<

blazicks

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:17 pm

waymirec wrote:No, your PCs will always be on separate IP addresses, but as long as they are on the same subnet than port forwarding is not a concern. In your case the subnet is most likely identified by the first 3 octets or grouping of numbers: xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy with xx's forming your subnet. Make sure that your windows firewall is allowing the port traffic in and make sure that your wifi ap/router is allowing broadcast traffic, as was mentioned in the beginning post. Broadcasting is a mechanism whereby a source can send packets to all of the devices on a subnet without having to know the specific ip addresses of the destination hosts.

Thank you for the input.,.. can you believe the entire problem was simply disabling all the "Windows Security" options... there are like 4 of them. I disabled all of them and boom, working.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Return to General