FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

hotkeys: only 3 meta-keys?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

poly

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:16 am

hotkeys: only 3 meta-keys?

I hope I'm missing something. ISBoxer seems to only allow the use of three meta-keys in a hotkey definition (Control, Alt, Shift). Action key combinations can use six meta keys, differentiating between left- and right- versions of Control, Alt, and Shift. Why not simply allow the same for hotkeys? Is there some limitation in how ISBoxer is implemented (keyboard hooks, RegisterHotkey, something else?)

I realize many MMO players may be skill-clickers, but choosing an input device (or combination of devices) which allows all skills to be used via keypresses yields much faster player response time. To do so requires more than three meta-keys. The LOTRO client, for example, allows you to use any key as a meta-key, and designate an absurdly great number of them. Most people who simply use a standard keyboard probably are not easily able to use left- and right- meta-keys as different modifiers, because one hand has to be on the mouse, and it's impractical to keep moving your other hand to either side of the space-bar when activating skills. But surely it is common among multiboxers to use nonstandard keyboards, or alternate input devices. X-Keys, CH Multifunction Panel, various Nostromo-like devices, G10, G15, Naga mice, DataHand, NIA, FragPedals -- the list goes on and on -- all these allow you to reassign these left- and right- meta-keys to more conveniently usable locations (or, in the case of NIA, biopotentials).

Can the choice of assignable meta-keys for a hotkey be altered somehow - config file, LavishScript, anything?
<<

poly

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 am

Re: hotkeys: only 3 meta-keys?

Ah, I see. One hotkey activates another hotkey, making the first hotkey a meta-key.
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:05 am

Chances are you found this guide, based on your last post.
In case you didn't: http://isboxer.com/index.php/guides/43- ... difier-key
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

creo

ISBoxer Expert

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:02 pm

I take it that you are playing LOTRO. From your comments regarding meta keys, I am curious as to what you are wanting to bind to hotkeys such that you are finding the 3 base modifiers to be restrictive? Even the most skill rich class does not exceed the 72 quickslots that the game provides, leaving a few slots for potions, map, a "/follow" macro, a mount or 2, etc... While there are things in the game outside of the quickslots (i.e. combat assist, fellowship maneuver participation, NPC / PC selection, game panels such as quest log, social, character stats, etc..., the music system), it seems unlikely that there would be a need for an ISBoxer bind for every single game bind (not to mention impractical or from a multi-boxing game play perspective not particularly useful at that).

It could be that what you are looking to do in your setup can be accomplished in other ways that would make it easier to maintain and perhaps even more efficient. I think that given the time to become familiar with the rich feature set offered by ISBOxer, you will not run across things you need in your game play that cannot be accomplished (short of those things that are limited by the game client itself)...

Cheers,

creo

Return to Key Maps