FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[WoW] Similar names breaking follow me

Moderator: MiRai

<<

gullu

Post Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:53 am

Similar names breaking follow me

I was not quite sure whether this is a WoW (Classic) specific issue or a keymap issue.
I used to play with 2 accounts without ISBoxer, and i did not take any consideration of how i named my characters for multiboxing purposes.
I made 3 additional accounts, each with names that is the same as one of my characters name with a suffix at the end, and leveled them as a 3 man team.
Gulluvvan
Vannai
Vannaic
Vannaid
Vannaie
But when i merged them together to form a 5-man team, i had an issue wher when my character in focus is Gulluvvan, Vannaic, Vannaid and Vannaie, my follow command works without any issue, but when i am on Vannai, my other characters follow whichever character on the team with Vannai in their name who is closest.
After looking up the issue i had in the FAQ (https://isboxer.com/wiki/FAQ#Assist_and ... 7t_work.21) my issue matches problem 7. However, i could not find any solution on that page, so i tried searching the forum for "follow" or "similar names", and googling the issue i had, but i failed to find any information that could help me with my issue. So i tried a few things
Reinstalling WoW and ISBoxer, which did not work.
Writing a macro that outputs "/follow vannai" or "/follow vannai-servername", neither was a solution.
Adding server name to "Actual Character name", which promts the client to notify me that i have entered the wrong name, resultng in most commands not working.
Writing a macro for all other characters with, "/target vannai", "/follow", "/assist" which still follows the wrong target, and it would require me to use a seperate command for following Vannai from every other character, and it makes all my characters target the same character, which i sometimes do not want.
I considered changing the "/follow {FTL}" to output the command, but as i have never changed these macros, i am unsure if that will break something:
/jamba-follow snw
/targetexact {FTL}
/follow
/assist {FTL}

I doubt i am the only one here who made the same mistake in naming their characers with the remaining just having an additional letter at the end, so even though i think the last solution might work, i feel like there should be an simpler solution to the problem i am facing.
I do recognize that an option would be to remake my characters, but considering how far i have leveled them, i would really not like to do that.
I have attached an image that shows how i have currently named my characters in ISBoxer, the 4 remaining characters are named in the same way, with the sub accounts all being different. The game profile is default instead of WoW Classic, but that is due to the fact that my inner space failed in detecting the game, so i just manually added the game executable to inner space.

Any suggestions of how i can change my ISBoxer profile to accomendate my naming choices would be appreciated.
Attachments
isboxer.png
isboxer.png (65.47 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Re: Similar names breaking follow me

you can update the /follow {ftl} macro to say
Code:
/targetexact {FTL}
/follow
If you use jamba or ema, you might also want the /jamba-follow snw line too

And the /assist {ftl} macro to
Code:
/targetexact {FTL}
/assist
<<

gullu

Post Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:03 pm

With your solution my characters will now correctly follow the current character.
I did try to add a /assist at the end of the follow macro to make my other characters target the same as the current character, but it seemed to not do anything. Would there be some way to include that functionality?
<<

jabberie

Post Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:22 pm

it's a known issue with your naming convention.

ingame macros will not properly recognise the difference btween Vannai and Vannaic

Each name has to be entirely unique. you would want Vannai to be Vannaid for example
<<

gullu

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:10 am

Okay, i'll keep that in mind when creating multiboxing teams in the future, thanks for the help you two.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:01 am

gullu wrote:I did try to add a /assist at the end of the follow macro to make my other characters target the same as the current character, but it seemed to not do anything. Would there be some way to include that functionality?

Each macro ends up resulting in 1 distinct game affecting action (which is why you can target AND /follow, because only one of those is game affecting). As /Follow is a successful action, the /assist never gets executed.
You'd need a mapped key that ran two macros in two actions in the macro. One action is Follow, the other Assist.

Return to Key Maps