FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

looking for tips on the pro system

Moderator: MiRai

<<

aces4me

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:38 am

looking for tips on the pro system

I ran the simple system for a bit had some success making config changes to accomplish what I wanted to get done. Then I watched the pro system videos and started a pro system profile. Getting things set up as far as MiRai got in the first couple of videos works fine but I am having trouble extending my profile. I am trying to stuff that is fairly simple in the non-pro system (action bar stuff mostly) but I am having very little luck with the pro stuff. I'm looking for guides (video or otherwise) to setting up action bars and other keymap additions in the pro system. Any pointers would be appreciated.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Re: looking for tips on the pro system

I'm not sure there's anything other than what both the Wiki page and my video series shows, but it's not clear what you mean by "action bars and other Key Map additions," so perhaps you could clarify.
<<

aces4me

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:24 pm

For instance. In the non-pro system I put water in the ''-' slot on my action bar for all my mana users. After a fight I could hit - on my lead character and all my mana users would sit down and drink. I don't seem to be able to make that work in the prosystem profile, even after lifting the action bar keymap from your profile linked to in the comments of that excellent set of videos. For another when I play WoW I habitually map an action bar slot to mouse down and I put spell interruptions in that action bar slot. In the non prod system I was able to map mouse down thru to my other characters so while they all interrupted (which isnt great) at least I got an interrupt. I know in pro I should create a ATG of interupters and map that mouse down to that target group with round-robin enabled. Finding the detailed information about how to get that configuration to work has been hard (although I know a lot of ways that DONT work). It seems inefficient to come to the forums every time I want to do something new but it seems that is the only way available at this point?

After this post I had a thought. I downloaded and examined the profile you link to in the videos. The thing a a god damn work of art. Seriously. If the coders for all the apps I work with paid that much attention to detail my job would be 1000% easier. But, it is huge and does everything. It is hard to pick out the one part of it that does what I am trying to do, especially for someone who doesn't have a ton of experience looking over prosystem profiles. Any chance in the future you could work on a library of much smaller profiles that implement one small feature? Like one style of healing or action bars or melee AGT uses? This might save you a bunch of time replying to folks trying to do that one thing in their profiles.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:11 pm

aces4me wrote:For instance. In the non-pro system I put water in the ''-' slot on my action bar for all my mana users. After a fight I could hit - on my lead character and all my mana users would sit down and drink. I don't seem to be able to make that work in the prosystem profile, even after lifting the action bar keymap from your profile linked to in the comments of that excellent set of videos. For another when I play WoW I habitually map an action bar slot to mouse down and I put spell interruptions in that action bar slot. In the non prod system I was able to map mouse down thru to my other characters so while they all interrupted (which isnt great) at least I got an interrupt. I know in pro I should create a ATG of interupters and map that mouse down to that target group with round-robin enabled. Finding the detailed information about how to get that configuration to work has been hard (although I know a lot of ways that DONT work).

The Pro System is designed around consolidating rotations—both damage and healing—by creating a template of Mapped Keys that can then be tailored for an individual character to use (e.g. Class Key Maps), and if you're able to set up a standard chain of virtualization (what the Pro system is built off of) for a basic DPS rotation, then moving from there is mostly copying and pasting that exact process.

With that said, while something as basic as getting your casters to drink can be virtualized, it's also not necessary to do that, and a simple Mapped Key with an ATG where your casters are all assigned would also suffice. Tying back into what I said a moment ago, there isn't much "consolidation" required in order to get your casters to drink some delicious water when they're low on mana. However, it can be useful to virtualize an interrupt, but, again, not necessary, unless maybe your roster is comprised of several different classes and/or specs, and you find that you're often switching up team comps.

aces4me wrote:It seems inefficient to come to the forums every time I want to do something new but it seems that is the only way available at this point?

I don't know what other form of support you're looking for, specifically, but there's also a Discord chat link on the front page of the site.

aces4me wrote:After this post I had a thought. I downloaded and examined the profile you link to in the videos. The thing a a god damn work of art. Seriously. If the coders for all the apps I work with paid that much attention to detail my job would be 1000% easier. But, it is huge and does everything. It is hard to pick out the one part of it that does what I am trying to do, especially for someone who doesn't have a ton of experience looking over prosystem profiles. Any chance in the future you could work on a library of much smaller profiles that implement one small feature? Like one style of healing or action bars or melee AGT uses? This might save you a bunch of time replying to folks trying to do that one thing in their profiles.

If you're unfamiliar with how to really set up anything in the Pro System, right now, then it will likely be quite difficult to read most things inside of that profile. I'm not going to tell you not to look at it, but it's the main reason why I refuse to give people my actual profile when they ask me, or why I (and others) answer "no" when people ask if there are already "pre-configured" profiles—It's just not feasible beyond a certain point (i.e. using the Quick Setup Wizard) because everyone wants to personalize their profile for themselves, their classes, team comps, input devices, screen setup, in-game UI placement, and whatever else... the list goes on.

So, I'm not sure where you want to go from here, but it's probably best if you just keep trying things and asking questions.

Return to Key Maps