FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

getting multiple steam instance to work?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Evader

Post Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:18 pm

getting multiple steam instance to work?

Good Day All,

I am new to multiboxing, i would like to check if it possible to run multiple steam instance and multibox a specific game (etc garry's mod). I have no luck so far, i tried adding steam1 via inner space, point to steam.exe, and run it. Next, i add steam2 via inner space and point it to steam.exe, unfortunately it starts up my main steam account and not my alt. I look around the isboxer forums and found out that ppl can run multiple steam instance in the past. Anyone done this before? Thanks
e.g. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9576&start=10
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:10 pm

Re: getting multiple steam instance to work?

Steam is usually autodetected these days, so is unnecessary to "point" anything to steam.exe. You should just be able to select the default detected item it from the Game/Game Profile drop downs when creating the team. Not that it should make all that much difference. There do not appear to be any magic settings that would be missing.

The most likely reason is you have Steam running already. Steam must be fully exited (not minimized) before launching a multibox steam session.
<<

Evader

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:14 am

Re: getting multiple steam instance to work?

bob wrote:Steam is usually autodetected these days, so is unnecessary to "point" anything to steam.exe. You should just be able to select the default detected item it from the Game/Game Profile drop downs when creating the team. Not that it should make all that much difference. There do not appear to be any magic settings that would be missing.

The most likely reason is you have Steam running already. Steam must be fully exited (not minimized) before launching a multibox steam session.

Good Day,

Apologies, i not sure what you meant? What i did is a simple setup, etc. Making "steam1" via innerspace and point it to steam.exe, i didn't touch any of the default game/game profile.

Okay i tried a few new things, i start up the steam1 and start up garry mod, and exit the steam afterwards. I then start up "steam2" with steam.exe, then log in to my alt account, unfortunately, i got the message "only one gmod can be run at the same time, etc". Is there any workaround on this, do i have to copy and paste a duplicate of my original steam folder, then point it to that exe? Apologies, i still new and not sure how this works. Thanks. Quite a shame it works well with wow/non steam games properly but not for steam games. Searching around isboxer forums doesn't help for me.

Return to Other