FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Follow and Assist from any window in EQ

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:42 am

Follow and Assist from any window in EQ

Someone was asking in IRC the other day about whether this was possible given the lack of a keybinding for either Follow or Assist in EQ. I am here to tell you it is. :)

First, watch this video.

Instead of setting keybindings in EQ for Assist and Follow you will need to make some Socials (EQ's version of macros).

1. Hit Ctrl+O to open the Socials Page of the Action Window.
  2. On a page with some empty buttons make 2 Socials: One called Assist with the first line as /assist. The other called Follow with the first line as /follow.
  3. Now drag those new Socials to a Hot Bar somewhere. You can right click on another bar and choose Open New Bar if you don't have enough space.
  4. Finally, in Options (Alt+O) on the Keys tab, select the Hot Bar you added the Socials to from the Category dropdown and bind the appropriate Hot Buttons to some key binding not used by EQ. I used Ctrl+F1 for the Hot Button with Assist on it and Ctrl+F2 for the Hot Button with Follow on it.
  5. In ISBoxer, set the Assist Target Variable Keystroke to Ctrl+F1 and the Follow Variable Keystroke to Ctrl+F2. Do this under the main Variable Keystrokes part in ISBoxer. Do not set any Variable Keystrokes at the Character Set level.
The rest of the set up is identical to MiRai's video.

I'm happy to answer questions.
Last edited by Alge on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

cdaug

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Re: Follow and Assist from any window in EQ

Having successfully set this up last night, I can confirm it works great.

One gotcha I ran into was with the variable keystrokes. Make sure the account / character you are logging into matches the slot it's defined as in ISBOXER or it won't work right.
<<

kardashev

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks for the tip. Just set this up for a 4 box and works great.
<<

Goothulhu

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:36 am

Hey Alge~! want to say thanks for your video tutorials, they have helped me in some area's.

I am very very new to Isboxer but wanted to suggest or ask this way of doing /follow /assist

In eq under a new blank social make a new hotkey /follow for every char you will want this for.
Make another new social hotkey /assist <your name you want to assist>
Add these new social buttons to your hotbar, lets say on your main hotbar, hotbutton 1 will be the new social hot key /assist goothulhu and hotbutton 2 will be the /follow button.

This needs to be done for every char who will be /assisting /following

In Isboxer keymaping i mapped Q and W - Q = 1 and W = 2
Then i made a Action Team group for all the chars who will follow my tank around and set them to this keymaping :D so they all assist my main tank and follow him when i press Q W

Let me know what you think, i hope i explained that well enough, if anyone has and questions i can explain it in further detail, but i basicly got this info from watching Youtube videos :D ones like Alge made :)

Well thats what i did, i hope i have explained that well enough.

Tell me what you think, thanks
<<

rencro

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:32 pm

@Goothulhu, that will work, but will only assist the person you have named, but the video instructions allow that person being assisted to be whoever happens to be "driving" at the time, which is a bit different than what you did by naming a char on your assist social..TBH, in eq having just one assist probably works 95 percent of the time anyways, as usually once the tank dies so does everyone else, but, if you follow this video, you would be able to "automagically" set the follow and assist to whomever is in control, or on the main screen, at that time..This is essential for PVP or chaotic times where your main character is knocked out or incapacitated....
<<

lostsk8r

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:02 pm

Okay so I have two character sets, each with 3 slots. One character set per computer, two computers. I watched the video and I understand what its saying, but I run into a problem when I get to target slot 4-6 because there is no slot 4-6 based on my isboxer character sets.. there's only 1-3 per set (2 sets). So How would I set up targetting for my last 3 toons (on my laptop) since they are labeled as 1-3 in my 2nd character set?

I've pondered setting up /target macros and assinging them f1-f6 hotkeys, but that still runs into the issue of, when I need f1 to heal f6, well how is it going to, because there is no slot 4, slot 5, or slot 6, just two sets of slots 1-3 due to two character sets. Is there some way to define my 2nd character set, as slots 4, 5, 6?
<<

rencro

Post Tue May 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Have a read of this:

http://isboxer.com/index.php/component/ ... -computers

essentially you will be launching all 6 of your chars from one computer, as the other 3 are synced with the 3 you are launching from...So you will then have 3 on each computer, but they are launched from one character set...The link explains it well
<<

lostsk8r

Post Wed May 02, 2012 4:46 am

Well, yes I read that already..

Create the Character Set for the main PC, using the Quick Setup Wizard
Create a Character Set for each additional PC as follows:
In the top pane, select a Computer to create a Character Set for
In the bottom left pane, right click on Character Sets and select Quick Setup Wizard. This will set up a new Character Set specifically for the selected Computer/

That creates two character sets, as I said that means each set says slots 1-3, so there are no slots 4-6. I've made my own work arounds to get things figured out, certainly not the most efficient but yeah. I mean that's what I did, but how would you set up your target slots, when theres only slots defined 1-3, and not 4-6.
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed May 02, 2012 6:00 am

I've never actually used two PCs to multibox (well not since a long time ago when I originally played EQ, and certainly long before ISBoxer existed, even probably as a twinkle in Lax's eye) and I don't have a second PC to test this on at the moment. I suspect there is no easy set-up like there is for a single PC.

If Lax were to add a variable {SET} which resolved to 1 for the main Character Set and 2 for the first Character Set in the main Character Set's Also Launch list, etc. then you could create some Variable Keystrokes called "Target Set 1 Slot 1", "Target Set 1 Slot 2", "Target Set 1 Slot 3", "Target Set 2 Slot 1", etc. Then in your Variable Keystroke Action the Variable Keystroke would be "Target Set {SET} Slot {SLOT}". I think that would work.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed May 02, 2012 6:07 am

There isn't an easy method built in for this system to work on multiple PCs due to the lack of an appropriate Variable like {SLOT} that includes the linked Character Sets. I'll see what I can do. :)
Next

Return to EverQuest