FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

main window freeze

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bdsmith

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 am

Re: main window freeze

Ok, I "tried" to play the first misstion "Straned in Space" but to no avail. Between the main AND secondary windows freezing it is just too unplayable. This is a great concept program, but it doesn't work in STO currently. Is there anything, log info, config, etc..., that can help you troubleshoot this issue?

And yes, I am running the dev patches on all systems.
<<

cicerone

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks again, Lax, for your timely response.

I agree with bdsmith that the latest development patch does improve gameplay with Cryptic games--I can go longer without having a main window crash--but the crash still comes. I've also noticed that it really does rely on combat scenarios, most particularly, if I'm using the same attack repeatedly in rapid succession (spamming an attack). So yeah, maybe it does have to do with overloading the buffer.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:51 pm

It's probably not the buffer.

Cryptic's engine uses a different threading model than the other supported games and so it is affecting Inner Space differently (i.e. by freezing). I've fixed the deadlocks I've caught so far, but clearly I'll need to do more testing. Thanks for the feedback
<<

bdsmith

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:26 am

Ok, so it might not be the buffer. However, I gave HotKeyNet a try this morning. After a few hours of configuration, I can play 5 accounts on 3 PCs with no issue. I did the first 3 missions and a patrol and the only thing I had to worry about was keeping all the powers going.
<<

ATTSS2

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:16 am

Odd. I tried that one with CO and as soon as it had to send keys to unfocused windows it failed equally bad.
ATributeToSystemShock2
<<

bdsmith

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 am

Yes, it isn't perfect. But there is good and bad about not having all windows on a single PC not have focus. The bad is that STO doesn't like not having focus, especially when changing maps. The good is that I don't have to listen the sound from all three windows. On parts where there is voice over, if the sound tracks are not in sync, it is really bad. But it never crashed. Also, I have made it login to all 5 accounts for me with only a pause for the possibility of patches without me typing in anything.

The windows on the other PCs don't have an issue.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:12 am

I've fixed additional deadlock (freeze) issues in IS build 5472. This is now the development build of Inner Space. To try it out, right click IS in the system tray, select Patcher, check "Download development (test) patches" then close and restart Inner Space.

Please report any issues you continue to experience :)
<<

bdsmith

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:06 pm

hmmm... I have tried multiple times now, but each time the third instance launches it freezes.

Win7 64
8GB RAM
Latest patches for OS
Latest dev patches for IS
<<

ATTSS2

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:59 pm

For Champions Online I had the same problem. I solved it by simply loading (not just logging in) each character completely before logging in the next one. Also: don't assign any CPU cores, let the game decide.
ATributeToSystemShock2
<<

bdsmith

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 am

Well, I actually thought that might work, as I had assigned CPU cores to each window. I changed the config so that they weren't assigned anymore and it still crashed. I cleared my config and made a new one, and it still crashes as soon as the third instance launches.
PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek Online