FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Memory issue with Lotro

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Methan

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Memory issue with Lotro

Hi

Recently my nonpaged memory fills up. After 3-4 hours my 8gb RAM are full (96% and more) and windows/game start to lag. I have to restart the machine.

Is it possible that Lotro or Innerspace/ISBoxer has a memory leak? Anyone with the same problems?

I'm 3-boxing on a Q9650 quadcore on 3ghz
8gb ram
2-SLI gtx-260
windows 7 ultimate 64bit
g15 keyboard/g9 mouse

My RAM are fine (memtest+86 tested), latest drivers are installed, process manager and process explorer used to check out the problem. Also run Windows Memory Debugger.

Thx for any advice!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:01 pm

Re: Memory issue with Lotro

It's unlikely that it's a leak in IS, unless it's one that only shows up in LOTRO, and only for certain configurations.

Have you tried disabling SLI? SLI has been shown to do bad things when running multiple instances of a game on the same PC (with or without IS/ISBoxer). I don't know how many people I've disappointed with this news, but when people come to me saying they're using SLI and their game is unstable, disabling SLI usually fixes the problem.

Performance-wise, you're probably going to see better performance by splitting up the video cards and having one render 1 and the other render 2 windows (see "Using multiple video cards" in the Guides section here on isboxer.com). This might not be the best analogy but think of it like if you only wanted to run 1 program at a time on your quad-core PC. SLI is kind of like taking those extra cores, and beefing up that one program instead of lots of programs at a time in parallel. But you're running 3 game instances, not 1, so it is likely better to have them running in parallel rather than beefing up one at a time for each of the 3. But you can worry about that after testing whether disabling SLI helps or not.
<<

kasmar45

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 am

Hi Methan,

I sort of have the same problem, but I don't remember if I had it before I used ISBoxer and I am too addicted to dual boxing with ISBoxer to test it.

I rarely play for 4 hours at one sitting, but 3 is not unusal. As long as I stay ingame everything appears fine. I only have 2 gig of ram. The one strange thing I have noticed is, when I quit playing and drop back to windows, my desktop is frozen for about 30 to 40 seconds, then it refreshes itself and everything is okay. I will run resmon this morning and keep a watch on my ram to see if it fills up and let you know.
<<

kasmar45

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:06 am

After almost 4 hours of playing this is what I found.

starting mem use

Innerspace = 52k
LOTRO client 1 = 756k
LOTRO client 2 = 761k

I have attached a screen capture of the resmon just before I quit. The first two lines are the LOTRO clients. The highlighted line is Innerspace.
Attachments
lotro mem.jpg
lotro mem.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 27968 times
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm

kasmar45 wrote:After almost 4 hours of playing this is what I found.

starting mem use

Innerspace = 52k
LOTRO client 1 = 756k
LOTRO client 2 = 761k

I have attached a screen capture of the resmon just before I quit. The first two lines are the LOTRO clients. The highlighted line is Innerspace.

In that screenshot I see the LotRO instances using about 1GB each and IS using about 100MB [we're rounding up for the sake of easy math]. That's 2.1GB. You said you have 8GB so where is the 5.9GB being used? That list of processes is not sorted by memory usage. As far as I know if something had a memory leak it'd be reflected in the Processes tab of the Task Manager.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 pm

That's because he's not the OP :)
kasmar45 said he has 2GB, 2 LOTRO is probably going to exceed that with his settings as demonstrated by his screenshot.

Games these days are memory hogs. It's not surprising (or unusual) that LOTRO is using about 1GB per. Warhammer exceeds that and still manages to suck in terms of gameplay, stability and performance ;)
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:04 pm

lax wrote:That's because he's not the OP :)

Fifty minus DKP for me :(
<<

Methan

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 am

I'll try your advice upon disabling SLi, Lax.

I'll post a screenshot of the RAM-usage, when the problem persists. Forgot that before.
Lotro uses normaly 300mb to 1000mb when i box, so it should use less than 4gb in total when I don't run a lot of other programs. But you have to proof me wrong, 5,6gb nonpaged memory pool filled after a few hours is certainly not normal.
And using a memory cleaner isn't any use, because it can't touch the nonpaged pool.

Thx for the swift answers!
<<

Methan

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi

Disabling SLI seems to work. Now online for over 6h, nonpaged pool stays with 80mb ram, which is very acceptable. Total RAM usage is around 5gb. Hope it stays like that!

Thx again Lax, you seem to know your business :)
<<

portlimo

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Waaaay back in the day eq had a memory leech every time you zoned until you crashed I tried cacheman http://download.cnet.com/CachemanXP/300 ... 57919.html and it enabled me to play for long periods, I let it ride in tray and manually used it to take back the leeched ram, my friend is playing lotro on a really old pc and this helped him ...
Next

Return to Lord of the Rings Online