FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

In-game and out of game ISBoxer chat channels

Moderator: MiRai

<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:57 am

In-game and out of game ISBoxer chat channels

For anyone who would like to talk to other ISBoxer users while playing EVE, I just recently set up a channel called ISBoxer.

I am pretty new at EVE, but I'm in the channel and hopefully we can get more people to join. EVE veterans, EVE newbies, ISBoxer veterans and ISBoxer newbies, join the channel and say hi, ask any questions you need, etc! :)

Out of game EVE chat room for ISBoxer: Join in browser - Internet Relay Chat info: irc.lavishsoft.com #isboxer-eve
More info in the announcement: Game-specific chat rooms now available!
<<

Slimez

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: In-game ISBoxer chat channel

How is the game? I may come over, I am bored with everything else heh. I have never read a thing about it and no idea what is involved. Is it possible to do a lot by yourself without needing groups? Is it voluntarily PvP or forced?
<<

ATTSS2

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 am

Since in Eve you can train all skills and are able to explore all professions of the game with a single character, multiboxing is a matter of convenience (able to do more things at once and a faster way to aquire the necessary skills). It is very common to multibox together with other players and player interaction offers a great deal of options such as setting personal standings with any player, corporation or alliance in the game (so you remember who is your friend and who is your enemy), contracts of various types (e.g. courier or auction), grouping in fleets, corporations or alliances and many more. Bottom line is playing solo is possible but hard to acomplish solely because interacting with other players is hard to avoid.

Other things that might interest you:

- The monthly fee can be avoided by use of PLEX (in game item buyable with ISK that extends your subscription with 30 days). At the moment any character by making use of the new Planetary Interaction alone and a FAIR AMOUNT of math homework can raise the 370 mil ISK to buy a PLEX each month. Note that PI is an almost entirely passive income system that requires you to mess around with it at most once per day.

- The entire market minus the skill books is player driven, everything you buy somebody else built, stole or looted. Eve has such a complicated economy that CCP has hired an economist to analize the ingame market traffic.

- Alot of players tend to believe Eve is a game all about ship combat. This is only partially true as the PvP aspect in Eve does not involve solely blowing somebody else up. It includes competition for mineral aquisition a.k.a mining, sell or buy order prices, teritorial or otherwise resource oriented wargames, espionage, treason, theft (e.g. can flipping), scamming, resource hoarding, griefing, smack talk, timezone exploits (e.g. pos bashing). What most if not all forms of PvP have in common in Eve is that the planning stage carries more importance than the actual "combat" allthough both of these allow lower skilled players (in terms of ingame skill levels not personal skill) to gain the upper hand over the veterans (that is if they dont die painfully allong the steep learning curve).

- The most important trait of the PvP aspect is that loosing means loss. Unlike some of the other mmo's, in Eve each time you are attacked and loose you will loose ISK in form of goods, ships, implants, player owned structures or market income. This is why, for the most part, attacking other players is usually never just for fun or random but entails a potential gain from their loss.

- Eve is split into 3 types of security zones. From 1.0 to 0.5 (a.k.a. hisec) players are protected from an NPC Faction called Concord. The attackers will be destroyed relatively fast by Concord (this is refered to as Concordokken by players), however more of them in a group are able most of the times to take out even bigger ships such as freighters before being destroyed. This is called suicide ganking and the aim is to target ships with content more valuable than the ships lost to Concord. Aside from this one can get killed in high security under special circumstances (e.g. player is mining in a Hulk during the Hulkageddon player organised event) or during a corporation war where members from both parties can freely shoot each other (corp wars are expensive so they dont take much time). In any case if the player does not make himself a worthy target he will be most of the times left alone in hisec. From 0.5 to 0.1 (a.k.a. lowsec) players are only protected by attackers at stations or at gates by the available NPC turrets (lower security status means fewer turrets). These turrets can be tanked by the attackers so this makes lowsec very dangerous. Moreover it is usually the home of solo or small pirate groups that hunt all passerbys and ransom their ship and/or pod or just blow them up to loot their wreck. The last security zone, 0.0 (a.k.a. nullsec) is populated by corporations of players usually belonging to alliances. All rules of lowsec apply, there is no NPC protection and gatecamping can make sure only the luckyest of pilots make it through the camped system. 0.0 space is mostly unclaimed and player alliances can claim sovereignity and build stations. Needless to say a solo player, even one that multiboxes will never have enough numbers or combat ability to survive in nullsec.

- PvE elements in Eve have been improved over the years with epic arc and cosmos missions or exploration but it still represents an income source more than anything else and, for the most part, it is not really fun unless done in a group. For bigger groups oriented towards PvE Eve offers wormhole space (a.k.a. w-space) where systems are connected by wormholes rather than gates. Wormholes are not permanent so the links between w-space systems or from w-space to normal space change as wormholes dissapear and reapear. This random aspect makes exploration very important to surviving in a w-space solar system. However, the NPC's in these systems (called Sleepers) use an advanced AI and offer very hard and very challenging combat for a group of players (though some of the low class w-space systems can be soloed). The rewards are good to excelent depending on how organised the group is.

EDIT:

- If you are looking to start then keep in mind that while on trial in Eve you cannot run more than one client. The best way to start more than one character is the following: Get an Eve trial possibly from steam to get 21 days instead of 14 or from another player (I am willing to send invites to a 21 day trial if you give me your email). Once played through the trial and armed with 21 days worth of skill training upgrade your account with money or buy a plex if u managed to raise the money (hard to do but possible). After you got the upgraded acount go to Eve account management website and send a trial invite from your now full acount to your email (can be the same one). The new trial account will train for 21 days while you play on the main (you cant have both open on the same computer coz one is trial). After the trial account is finished when you use a plex or buy a month you get another 30 days on the main aswell. Basically you use 2 plex or buy 2 months and get 3 months so far. From these 2 accounts you can go to 3 or 4 in the same way, just remember you cant multibox the new trial accounts their first 21 days. Using this method you spend 3 plex or pay for 3 months over 4 months and you get 4 subscription accounts one 4 months old one 3 months and 2 x 2 month.
ATributeToSystemShock2
<<

Slimez

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Thank you for all of this, really appreciate it.

the one thing I am still confused on: Do they have have Non PVP (PvE only) type servers? Or is the PvP aspect such a huge part of the game it is required to "advance"?
<<

Snaef98

Post Wed May 11, 2011 6:45 pm

its not like WoW or other mmos its all one server. PVP can happen anywhere, if you decide to multibox and mine beware the gankers will attack frequently i got a 14 account operation going and i get attacked generally at least once per 1-2 weeks.
<<

tanker

Post Thu May 12, 2011 8:43 am

I have never played Eve based on other player reviews, and I recommend you search the web and see what others have to say. CCP will not do anything about griefing, ganking, or other forms of player harassment. They claim it is a 'real-world' economy and such things will happen in the real world. If I wanted to be bullied, I'd go back to high-school.

It sounds like a fun game, but the lack of controls on the PVP aspect of it dissuade me from ever playing.
<<

Cyann

Post Thu May 12, 2011 1:25 pm

tanker wrote:I have never played Eve based on other player reviews, and I recommend you search the web and see what others have to say. CCP will not do anything about griefing, ganking, or other forms of player harassment. They claim it is a 'real-world' economy and such things will happen in the real world. If I wanted to be bullied, I'd go back to high-school.

It sounds like a fun game, but the lack of controls on the PVP aspect of it dissuade me from ever playing.

You can stay in what is called High Sec and avoid most of the PvP, but not all of it. Scams are everywhere, but if you read contracts before you click on something, most of the time you are ok. Someone might try to sell you 1 item for 1 million isk, when you think they are selling you 10k of that item. What they do is tell you one thing when they spam the chat, but the actual link to the contract is different quantity wise. This is not the only scam, but the most common one. For the most part these can be avoided, as well as most PvP if its not your game. PvP is not 100% avoidable if someone wants to destroy their ship killing yours, but it does not happen that often imo. Low sec and zero sec are PvP areas, but you never have to go there if you don't want to. I avoided Low sec for a few years, but now travel through it all the time.
<<

junebug

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: In-game and out of game ISBoxer chat channels

hmm i know theres quite a few isboxer users in eve i personally turned at least 10 ppl into isboxing whores since 2010 but im not a crabby bitter puss space ship pixels are important eve duder anymore i decided to join isboxer channel in game as well as bez and im the only 3 in there :(
<<

BeZ

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Re: In-game and out of game ISBoxer chat channels

It seems I'm catching up to you June :), I'm up to 4 new recruits that are fully setup and loving it.

"It's not a question of whether ISBoxer can do it, but a question of how to do it." - Zeb

Return to EVE Online