FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

i7 CPU: Assigning Separate Cores to Different Clients

Moderator: MiRai

<<

jacksj1

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: i7 CPU: Assigning Seperate Cores to Different Clients

Just tried that ad it hasn't made a difference.

[url](Had to look up how to do that, though :

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-tak ... dows-7.htm[/url] )
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:19 pm

In that case, the problem is probably due to permissions as Amrathe is getting at.

You can solve that issue by running Notepad as Administrator through the Start menu (right click it and select Run as Administrator). Then use File, Open to get to the file you want. Unfortunately, just editing the file by double clicking it or via the right click menu on the file does not give an option to edit with Notepad as Administrator -- and then depending on the file location, it prevents you from saving it.
<<

jacksj1

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:30 pm

lax wrote:In that case, the problem is probably due to permissions as Amrathe is getting at.

You can solve that issue by running Notepad as Administrator through the Start menu (right click it and select Run as Administrator). Then use File, Open to get to the file you want. Unfortunately, just editing the file by double clicking it or via the right click menu on the file does not give an option to edit with Notepad as Administrator -- and then depending on the file location, it prevents you from saving it.

Made no difference.

Very strange.

I'll try changing permissions and rebooting PC later, see if that makes any difference. Though it shouldn't, I would think.

Thanks both for the help :)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 pm

The only other thing I can think of is that you're probably editing it through Windows 7's Libraries, which basically munge multiple folders into the same folder-looking-thing. That might change the behavior somehow when saving, I guess.

Also, it shows up as "Rift.cfg" and "Text file" because the option "Hide extensions for known file types" is enabled (this is enabled by default in Windows). It's really Rift.cfg.txt, I promise. To change this option, go into the Tools menu in explorer (Alt+T, when you press Alt the menu will appear), select "Folder options..." and in the View tab it's about 10 lines down.
<<

sfdd

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 am

Do these changes still need to be applied to the .cfg files if I am using the most recent versions of ISBoxer/InnerSpace?

I am currently running an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (6 procs) and box two characters in Rift. I have slot 1 set to use procs 1-3 and slot 2 set to use procs 4-6. Rift seems to work fine with these settings, but when I look at the .cfg files, the MainThreadCPU setting is still =3 in each .cfg file.

Do I need to change this and, if so, to what (since all of the procs are real in this case)? Slot MainThreadCPU=1 and slot 2 MainThreadCPU=4?

Thanks,
SFDD
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:38 am

sfdd wrote:Do these changes still need to be applied to the .cfg files if I am using the most recent versions of ISBoxer/InnerSpace?

I am currently running an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (6 procs) and box two characters in Rift. I have slot 1 set to use procs 1-3 and slot 2 set to use procs 4-6. Rift seems to work fine with these settings, but when I look at the .cfg files, the MainThreadCPU setting is still =3 in each .cfg file.

Do I need to change this and, if so, to what (since all of the procs are real in this case)? Slot MainThreadCPU=1 and slot 2 MainThreadCPU=4?

Thanks,
SFDD

ISBoxer overrides the setting in rift.cfg if you are selecting CPUs per Slot in your Character Set -- you do NOT need to adjust this in the cfg file, it will NOT be used. ISBoxer does not modify rift.cfg files with any changes whatsoever (just virtualizes it) so the value in your rift.cfg will not match your config. Hope that clears this up for you :)
<<

ronis

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: i7 CPU: Assigning Separate Cores to Different Clients

Would I be better off turning HT completely off? I 7 box in EQ1 and have a Core i7 3.0 GHZ with 12 GB RAM.

I have been toying with the idea of turning HT off for other reasons but wanted input directly from the devs first as to how it would affect ISBoxer performace as this is my primary gaming computer. Ive been unacceptably laggy since the last expansion was released and am at my wits end.

My plan would be to set 1 core to my main toon, and split the other 6 evenly between the remaining 3 cores (ie 2 per core). Is this advisable or should I set 1 core to my main toon, and set the remaining 6 boxes to ALL 3 of the remaining core?

Thanks for input, I just read this info now for the first time.

Ron
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:52 am

You should refer to the strategy recommended in: http://isboxer.com/wiki/CPU_Management

You want to have as little fighting over CPU cores as possible, especially on the main window. So the main window should get set to its own physical plus logical core set. The remaining 3 cores and their counterparts should be equally divided between the rest -- one physical plus its logical core, per window.

Like so:
Slot 1: 1+2 <--- ONLY WINDOW USING THESE CORES, THIS WINDOW WILL PERFORM THE BEST
Slot 2: 3+4
Slot 3: 5+6
Slot 4: 7+8
Slot 5: 3+4
Slot 6: 5+6
Slot 7: 7+8

Worst case, drop the logical cores and only use physical cores, being 1,3,5,7 instead of also adding the even cores. This will only help if, for some reason, EQ is trying to use the logical core for something that it doesn't support.
<<

ronis

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:08 pm

When I disabled HT, I went from 8 assignable cores to 4 cores - so there is no 1-8. From your response, it appears that you recommend putting main window (slot #1) into its own core #1, and putting slot 2 and 3 onto core #2, slot 4 and 5 onto core #3, and slot 6 and 7 onto core #4. From your post and the link you provided, you appear to recommend against sharing cores #2-4 with slots 2-7.

My biggest concern is only showing 4 cores instead of 8 that you recommend. Im assuming its due to turning off HT and that my above layout plan would be your recommendation? Or would you recommend turning HT back on and doing it exactly as you prescribed in your post?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:54 pm

Sorry, my post was meant to recommend against disabling HT but I guess I left that part out. I do not think disabling HT is necessary.

If you disable HT, then 1,3,5,7 = 1,2,3,4 and ignore the even numbers from my post. One core per instance.
PreviousNext

Return to Multiboxing Hardware