FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Movement ketbind on numbered keypress

Moderator: MiRai

<<

decalocks

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:44 pm

Movement ketbind on numbered keypress

I almost have ISBoxer doing everything I want (at least to get started).

I notice most keys work only in the window that's in focus, but 1 to = (#2 in particular here) goes to both/all windows,

...so I want the #2 key to continue to transmit/broadcast to all windows, to do a variety of things:
1. Lead character *move backward* to break autorun
2. Second character to *strafe/move left* to break follow (and should be well-positioned as a result to off-tank by ending up nearly beside the lead)
3. Rest of group to *use action bar slot 2* to cast spells/abilities/macros

#2 is configured in game (WoW) keybindings on the two accounts that need it to be a movement key, but pressing 2 on the keyboard does nothing, as though I never pressed the key. Other number keys work normally, casting spells on those action bar slots.

I read the pro config topic but it didn't make sense to me.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 am

Re: Movement ketbind on numbered keypress

My initial impression here is that what you want is a complicated mess, and that you should consider breaking these up onto separate keys.

For example, you want both movement and DPS bound to the same key, so that means that as you continue to press the key to DPS the movement keys will continue to be sent, and, to me, this doesn't sound ideal.

Second, you say "and should be well-positioned as a result to off-tank by ending up nearly beside the lead," but the way you word that makes me think that you want ISBoxer to automatically move your character(s) to a position in the game world, which it can't do. If you want a character to be "well-positioned," then you're holding down the key until they move to that position, and you're releasing the key afterward. However, I assume you want to keep pressing the "2" key to DPS on the rest of your team, which is just going to continue to move this "well-positioned" character.

Finally...
decalocks wrote:I notice most keys work only in the window that's in focus, but 1 to = (#2 in particular here) goes to both/all windows

How to expand upon this is covered in every setup guide for WoW, both written and video.

http://isboxer.com/wiki/WoW:Quick_Start ... uto-assist
<<

Wizeowel

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:22 am

decalocks wrote:#2 is configured in game (WoW) keybindings on the two accounts that need it to be a movement key, but pressing 2 on the keyboard does nothing, as though I never pressed the key.

Try while casting a spell, you'll see it does press it enough to break casting, but just so quickly that there isn't any effective movement.

You want the Hold any Keystroke Actions while Hotkey is held option in the mapped key. That will let the keypress work the same as if you had pressed Q directly. However, it might affect the function of the dps actions on the other characters. As MiRai says, not advisable to mix movement and dps mappings.
<<

decalocks

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Well, I'm to blame for leaving ideas open to be interpreted and assumption made.

First of all, of course I realize that the software won't ideally position my toons, I was just explaining my expected result from the movement for context.

Second, no, #2 won't be for dps'ing, if I can get the movement to work for my lead and second. If you must know, more like cooldown spells or certain pre-fight buffs, you know: the 5-min duration pally bless, amplify curse, and other one-cast stuff. I really want #2 to be part of a designed coordinated flow. #1 starts attack, pet attacks, and assigns target icon while I am still running. #2 stops the run/follow, and pre-fight buffs, then #3 for HoTs and DoTs, #4 for nukes and wands, etc. I actually have thought this out - and in fact taken alt-tab multi-boxing to my limits (as an old guy who can't really type). #2 movement actually is something I want at the beginning of my combat sequences.

If it can't be done technically, that's fine, I'll rethink, but I want to be a multi-boxer which, by definition, says I don't want to play WoW the same way someone else says I must (you know, like those multi-box haters who say we're cheating), with, in this case, pre-defined keys and processes. I don't used WASD for movement, for example, but the arrow keys instead. I ALWAYS have characters with different builds and strategies than the heard. I'd like the software to implement my own version, rather than bend to the will of a (different - as in, not the game designer, just another designer) software designer when I'm *playing games*. As I continue to trial, before I pay a longer subscription, I ask, is it flexible enough? I've been playing WoW and adjusting the interface/bindings to meet my needs, which means nothing is default or even close, so following your recommended keys might not be ideal for me. I want this to work so I can stop trying to solve it and just play.

It doesn't make sense to me that by default, #2 could use action bar slots to cast spells from all windows when they are keybound, but can't trigger movement in all windows when defined in the game's keybindings for each window/account. The game is at the receiving end, if it receives the #2 then holding #2 should make the two toons move. Why is it transmitted/broadcast for action items but not for movement? What do I need to reconfigure? I tried all settings for "Hold any Keystroke..." and none fixed the issue.

I don't have anything except movement bound to #2 for these two characters, so pressing #2 isn't starting an action that would stop spell casting, so casting (a Heal in this example) isn't stopping. Thanks, though for you input, I'll keep trying to figure this out, and trying other boxing systems.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:54 pm

ISBoxer can definitely do what you are asking for, but as a new user, it is a rather complicated setup right out of the gate.
ISBoxer is much like any macro program, for lack of better comparison, in that it can send different commands to each window it controls, from a single keypress. The difference to most other macro programs is this happens simultaneously rather than swapping each window to the foreground to do it.

All that said, if I was going to configure such a thing, I would be making a custom mapped key, and configuring the KeyStroke Actions that it sends to each Target (or Target Group if I wanted to make it more portable) as required. I wouldn't be going around setting the in game binds to match up with an existing keystroke action in the basic default setup, because that is just going to create a world of pain. If your normal movement keys are the arrows, then when you press the #2 hotkey, you want ISBoxer to send the Arrows to the game to move the toons, and for the other toons, you'll want it to send whatever they need to receive.

Return to Key Maps