FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Classic World of Warcraft

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Richwow188

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Classic World of Warcraft

Hi All. I am new to the multi-box community and had a quick question. I have been fiddling around with ISBoxer trying to get the World of Warcraft Classic "stress test" server to launch through ISBoxer but haven't had any luck yet. It always seems to launch the default world of warcraft "retail version." This seems to be true, even though I am adding the WoW Classic .exe file as the launch path.

Anyone have any luck multi-boxing WoW classic? Would appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Best regards,
R
<<

Richwow188

Post Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:59 am

Re: Classic World of Warcraft

Just following up on my previous post to provide a bit more detail, as I was a bit rushed in posting last night. As I am sure many of you know, Blizzard recently announced that it would be re-releasing Classic WoW (the version of the game that was originally released over a decade ago, i.e., "vanilla"). In preparation for the launch date in late-August, Blizzard has opened up their servers for a "stress test." Everyone is currently able to download a version of "Classic Wow" and launch it through the Blizzard retail launcher. I thought this would be a great time to start configuring my set-up on ISBoxer to make sure everything works.

Essentially, the Blizzard Launcher now provides two options for launching WoW... you can choose to launch (i) the retail WoW client, or (ii) the classic WoW client. These are separate clients that launch different versions of the game, but are both accessible from the Blizzard launcher. The Blizzard Launcher provides you a drop-down menu to choose between the two. Now to explain the problem I have encountered.

When using the ISBoxer Quick Setup Wizard--unsurprisingly--choosing the native default settings for World of Warcraft does not work with Classic WoW. Instead, ISBoxer launches the retail version of WoW. My first thought was to try to go on Innerspace and upload a new path directory straight to the Classic Wow executable file. I thought that this would work, since this type of work-around has functioned in the past. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the case.

To be clear, the new "Classic WoW" option for WoW has a direct filepath (i.e., when I click on the Classic Wow icon in my World of Warcraft folder, it directly launches the Classic WoW game...not the retail version of the game or the Blizzard Launcher). This is the filepath that I plugged into Innerspace (through the "Add Game" tab) when trying to launch classic WoW through ISBoxer. However, even when trying to launch through this specific filepath, the game STILL launches the retail client and prevents me from accessing Classic WoW.

Any thoughts guys and gals? I hope I am not missing anything obvious. I am sure many of you are clamoring to multi-box Classic WoW soon (I am so excited!). One thought I have is that maybe I can uninstall the retail version of the game and only maintain the files for Classic WoW. If that's possible, then maybe ISBoxer will be able to launch Classic WoW directly, instead of becoming confused with the retail client.

Let me know if there is any more information I can provide, as I would like to be as helpful as I can--especially since I think many people will be interested in figuring this out soon!

Best,
R
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 am

Naw man. You should join ISBoxer Discord (https://discord.gg/ESxEzhs), we have a #wow_classic channel and a bunch of people chatting away in it 24/7 including lots of people who have successfully done what you're trying to do!

But here's what you can do to solve your problem:
1. Grab the current Inner Space development build. A new detection has been added to Inner Space (in the dev build) that should automatically add a "World of Warcraft Classic Client" Game Profile to your WoW game in Inner Space. To get that, right click Inner Space and select Patcher, tick "Download development (test) patches" and then close and restart Inner Space for it to pick up the test patch info. When it restarts, it should pop up the patcher window with a list of files it says are available, and you will need to click "Patch these files" for it to actually patch.

1a. Alternative to #1. You don't need the development build of Inner Space. You can literally just use Add Game, and point it at the wow.exe in your WoW\_classic_ folder, and just pick your added Game/Game Profile in #2 instead of the new automatic one.

2. After this, all you have to do is select the "World of Warcraft Classic Client" Game Profile (or the one you created in #1a) for the Characters in ISBoxer that you want to launch classic. If you're using the Quick Setup Wizard, you will want to manually select this Game Profile from the drop-down on the Characters page. If you've already used the wizard, then select each Character in the top left pane, and check the Game/Game Profile drop-downs in the bottom right.

That's really all there is to it. :)
<<

Richwow188

Post Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks much Lax.. I will try your solution and revert back with the result. I'll definitely join that Discord group at some point when I get a chance.

Return to World of Warcraft