FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Key press stops working

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Evolve

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:13 am

Key press stops working

I have this one toon that sometimes during long grind sessions will stop being able to attack.
It could possibly be more than one toon, but this is the only toon I have experienced this problem.
what happens is after a while I can no longer key press to use abilities or click them with the mouse.
it is completely random. I thought for a while it was an issue with an addon that I use called gnomesequencer.
When it happens I have to log out and back in again. reload ui doesnt work.
I believe it is ISboxer now because I happen to be using a macro that is set up in isboxer for looting.
I noticed that when this happened this one toon would no longer use the macro.
if its not isboxer than something with UI i guess, but why it doesn't happen to other toons I am not sure.
I recently had reset my ui and addons twice while helping blizzard with a bug i discovered and we ran many different tests to gather info so my ui has been reset very recently.

So I am wondering is this something that has been seen before and someone knows how I can fix it or should I attempt to just delete the character set and recreate the group? or something else?
oh and if it matters its the master wow window that this always happens

EDIT: wanted to update since this happened again. This time however things I originally posted changed. The macro still worked set up in isboxer and I was still able to click things with the mouse. The Gnomesequencer no longer worked so maybe it is that addon thats doing this after all. Im really unsure since last time it happened there were different issues happening as well. Im lost lol
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Re: Key press stops working

Evolve wrote:So I am wondering is this something that has been seen before

Yes, people who do stand-still AFK farms seem to be the only ones who experience this.

Evolve wrote:someone knows how I can fix it or should I attempt to just delete the character set and recreate the group? or something else?

If you're trying to stand in place and farm something over and over and over again, then the fix is not do that. Other than that, I've not heard of anyone fixing this, and, up to this point, we've just assumed it was something Blizzard implemented to combat lazy bots.
<<

Evolve

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:55 pm

hmmm I'm not really standing still. I have to attack, but I am standing in the same spot for long periods.
if this is true then why does this not happen to the other toons in my party doing the same thing?
and would jumping periodically help with this?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Evolve wrote:hmmm I'm not really standing still. I have to attack, but I am standing in the same spot for long periods.
if you are not pressing a movement key (e.g. WASD SPACE), then that is considered standstill farming, or even AFK farming (which actually was more away from screen by the way it was described but the AFK represents the lack of attention, - the person was in another room watching TV with their wireless keyboard, and on the odd occasion looking at a strategically placed mirror to see their computer screen).

Evolve wrote:if this is true then why does this not happen to the other toons in my party doing the same thing?
we don't know. we don't have access to the source code to figure out what the rules of how it works are and Blizzard have declined to tell anyone. In fact it gets people banned eventually for "bot like behaviour".
<<

Evolve

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 pm

Evolve wrote:In fact it gets people banned eventually for "bot like behaviour".

odd, I been doing this to level a few toons. Found a cool trick that lets you chill and level a lowbie up.
never been banned for anything in the game (playing since 2004)
Im sure they can figure out Im not a bot if I do get questioned. nothing is automated so I'm right there if I do get a message or have any issues.
I am on the final toon I will level in wow unless i start another account or a new class comes out so I will be done with this soon. For now i guess I will just hit jump once in a while
<<

bob

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:01 pm

I shouldn't have used "eventually", and rather gone with, "it has been known", but thems the breaks.

and yes, the "workaround" to the built in "encouragement to move" is to usually jump/step around once in a while.
<<

Evolve

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 pm

you know it just happened again, and I have been moving too so I suspect this isnt what you guys are thinking it is
I dont know whats going on here. like i said in the original post I thought it was just gnomesequencer for a while until I started working on a new toon and I wasnt able to click things and the macro in isboxer i had set up wouldnt fire off either.
Then when it happened again and it was just gnomesequencer that was a problem I was a bit lost.
fortunately I have only experienced this when trying to powerlevel toons using this method I am currently using.
Since i should be done today or tomorrow leveling I wont have to deal with it again.
However there is part of me that is curious as to what exactly is going on here.
<<

bob

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm

well, when it happens, if you use the ISBoxer debugging console, you can determine whether ISBoxer is still sending things to the game, and the game is ignoring them, or whether ISBoxer is not sending anything at all. One of these options is something that can be looked into on this end (and would also require you to produce the problem, and probably grab some memory dumps when it has occurred).

http://isboxer.com/wiki/ISBoxer_Debugging_Console

I suggest getting familiar with the console and see it working first so you know what normal output looks like.

Return to World of Warcraft