FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need advice on EQplayNice

Moderator: MiRai

<<

microbat

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Need advice on EQplayNice

I am playing EQ, I use EQplayNice built into WinEQ2 to control my FPS and it works well. My issue is the background FPS. If I have it set low, the characters are terrible at auto following and always get stuck. If I set it high, they follow much better but then my CPU or GPU fan kicks in and becomes noisy having to deal with all those clients. I could do without the noise and it probably costs more money when I play long sessions with that fan running.

So I have been turning it to high fps for travelling, then setting it low when my character are just sitting around and I am pulling mobs to them. But every time I move I have to change the fps and it isn't ideal. Anyone know a good solution to this? I thought about setting up a macro to change it for me but I couldn't find one that worked.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Need advice on EQplayNice

This is the sort of situation that EQPlayNice's Rendering Limiting feature is designed for. You don't want to lose auto-follow, but you want to lower your FPS. So the trick is to leave the FPS at 30, but use Rendering Limiting to limit the number of times out of that 30 that the game window is going to render the world.

Unfortunately this causes a sort of flash effect when it does render, and "looks laggy/choppy", but it is actually running at full speed other than the cosmetic issue of... not showing you for a moment what is happening... but on the other hand you will achieve your desired outcome of producing less heat, and retaining auto-follow. Because the game will still operate at full FPS, despite showing you less.
<<

microbat

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Re: Need advice on EQplayNice

Thanks for the reply. That's how I had it and it works a bit not quite enough unfortunately, maybe EQ's auto follow is just so old and bad. I actually have the render limit set to 1 in 125 frames which is fine because I don't need the background frames rendering ever really because I never look at them. So they were updating only once every 10 seconds or something which is fine. But with a background fps less than 40 the auto follow is really bad, and if I set it to 55+, it works much better but then the CPU fan will eventually kick in after about 20 minutes of play.

However I think I found out how to get my macro working! I have a nice little macro program, I just needed to make it run as administrator so it could work in WinEQ2. With that I can now press a shortcut on my keyboard and it instantly changes my background fps for travelling :) And I have another one to set it for when I'm not travelling. It seems to work well so far.

Return to General