FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[SOLVED] Assist Me (w/o Healer)

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bgarisn

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 pm

[SOLVED] Assist Me (w/o Healer)

I'm having a hard time with this for some reason.

I've setup 3x Action Target Groups (ATGs - learned this today) for each of my Tank/DPS/Healer characters and added them to it accordingly.

So I did the following to create a Mapped Key that was similar to 'Assist Me' that is created in the Quick Setup Wizard:

Code:
Assist Me (All Characters)
    Steps: Do Assist Me - Active Method in ISB42 - Party Key Map -> self

Assist Me (w/o Healer)
    Steps: Do Assist Me - Active Method in ISB42 - Party Key Map -> other Tank
    Steps: Do Assist Me - Active Method in ISB42 - Party Key Map -> other DPS

But when I hit my Hotkey for 'Assist Me (w/o Healer)', everyone targets the previous target (if there was one). That is to say:

• Team targets [X]
  • Current window targets [Y]
  • Hotkey for 'Assist Me (w/o Healer)
  • Team targets [X]

I don't understand why the 'Target' in not working like I expect it to, which is:

• Team targets [X]
  • Current window targets [Y]
  • Hotkey for 'Assist Me (w/o Healer)
  • Tank/DPS targets [Y], Healer still targets [X]

What am I missing/confused about? Even the Healer I have targets something. I'm not sure why it would even be receiving the keystroke.

Appreciate the help,

~X
Last edited by bgarisn on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Re: Assist Me (w/o Healer)

You need to create yourself a new Assist Me mapped key, rather than use the existing one. The existing Mapped Key for Assist runs a Chain of mapped keys, and you need to change the end of the chain, rather than the beginning. When you've done, if effectively asked all toons to assist all other toons in ATG Tank or all toons to assist all other toons in ATG DPS. Usually ISBoxer will give you a long and potentially confusing message explaining this when you do it, and if you ignore it (i.e. hit OK), then you get potentially undesirable results, because some of your toons will be targeting the previous target you just killed, and probably not what your current main is targeting.

Now, the below is really going to depend on the game you are playing, and what was selected during the Quick Setup Wizard, but I'll go through a WoW setup as that is quite common.

In ISB42- Party, Assist Me - Active Method calls mapped key ISB42 - Party -> Assist Me (WoW Macro). This in turn calls ISB42 - WoW -> Assist Me.

The ISB42 - WoW -> Assist Me mapped key is the one which actually asks "all other" toons to target the same as the current main (i.e. self). This is the mapped key you need to copy and adjust to use your specific targets of other Tank/DPS), with your ATG's and also the one which you should call when you want special results.

When you call them from your mapped key (i.e. the one which is grouping all the actions together), then just reference them directly, and use "self" as the target (or Window:Current in the target drop down).
<<

bgarisn

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:22 am

bob wrote:You need to create yourself a new Assist Me mapped key, rather than use the existing one.

Sorry, I should have clarified that the code above was the steps for each of the Mapped Keys I had.

Code:
Key Maps --> ISB42 - Base Hotkeys --> Mapped Keys:

Assist Me (All Characters)
    Steps: Do Assist Me - Active Method in ISB42 - Party Key Map -> self

Assist Me (w/o Healer)
    Steps: Do Assist Me - Active Method in ISB42 - Party Key Map -> other Tank
    Steps: Do Assist Me - Active Method in ISB42 - Party Key Map -> other DPS

So what I did was copy the 'Assist Me' from this keymap. Sorry for this confusion.

bob wrote:The existing Mapped Key for Assist runs a Chain of mapped keys, and you need to change the end of the chain, rather than the beginning. What you've done, is effectively asked all toons to assist all other toons in ATG Tank or all toons to assist all other toons in ATG DPS. Usually ISBoxer will give you a long and potentially confusing message explaining this when you do it, and if you ignore it (i.e. hit OK), then you get potentially undesirable results, because some of your toons will be targeting the previous target you just killed, and probably not what your current main is targeting.

Strange. I did not get any error message from ISBoxer. Maybe it's in the debug console? I should probably look at that a bit more.

bob wrote:In ISB42- Party, Assist Me - Active Method calls mapped key ISB42 - Party -> Assist Me (WoW Macro). This in turn calls ISB42 - WoW -> Assist Me.

The ISB42 - WoW -> Assist Me mapped key is the one which actually asks "all other" toons to target the same as the current main (i.e. self). This is the mapped key you need to copy and adjust to use your specific targets of other Tank/DPS), with your ATG's and also the one which you should call when you want special results.

When you call them from your mapped key (i.e. the one which is grouping all the actions together), then just reference them directly, and use "self" as the target (or Window:Current in the target drop down).

Thanks for this description. I'm still really confused by it, but maybe if I read it enough times it will help. When I look at

Code:
Key Maps --> ISB42 - Party --> Assist Me - Active Method

The only step underneath it is a 'Popup Text -> self' that says "Assist Me: No Assist Method Active!". How did you know that it calls the WoW Macro (or does it just do that in your setup)?

I did see the 'Assist Me' in the ISB42 - WoW Key map. So if I understand correctly, I need to copy this one and adjust it to send it to my Tank/DPS group or do I need to do it in both places?

I've been watching MiRai's videos on Keymaps, etc. but I'm still a little confused about -where- in the key map process/setup I need to change things to affect which key is sent to whom.

Appreciate your time and advice.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 am

bgarisn wrote:The only step underneath it is a 'Popup Text -> self' that says "Assist Me: No Assist Method Active!". How did you know that it calls the WoW Macro (or does it just do that in your setup)?

All "Active Method" Mapped Keys are controlled via the Virtual Mapped Keys tab of your Character Set. The Wiki is in need of some adjusting, but it's briefly mentioned in this guide.

bgarisn wrote:I did see the 'Assist Me' in the ISB42 - WoW Key map. So if I understand correctly, I need to copy this one and adjust it to send it to my Tank/DPS group or do I need to do it in both places?

I've been watching MiRai's videos on Keymaps, etc. but I'm still a little confused about -where- in the key map process/setup I need to change things to affect which key is sent to whom.

It would really help if you share your profile, so that we can look through it and get a better picture for what's happening.
<<

bgarisn

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:51 pm

MiRai wrote:All "Active Method" Mapped Keys are controlled via the Virtual Mapped Keys tab of your Character Set. The Wiki is in need of some adjusting, but it's briefly mentioned in this guide.

I'll check that out. Thank you :)

MiRai wrote:It would really help if you share your profile, so that we can look through it and get a better picture for what's happening.

Sorry, I didn't even know you could do that. My bad :(

Here is my profile: bgarisn - ISBoxer Profile

Thanks for your time/help
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:20 pm

bgarisn wrote:Sorry, I didn't even know you could do that. My bad :(

Here is my profile: bgarisn - ISBoxer Profile

Thanks for your time/help

I don't see a Mapped Key named "Assist Me (w/o Healer)" in any Key Map. Either I'm completely missing it, or perhaps I don't understand what/where the issue is exactly.
<<

bgarisn

Post Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:25 am

MiRai wrote:I don't see a Mapped Key named "Assist Me (w/o Healer)" in any Key Map. Either I'm completely missing it, or perhaps I don't understand what/where the issue is exactly.

@MiRai, sorry that's because I forgot that I had gone back to my 'known good' state in ISBoxer before I uploaded my profile to pastebin.

It should be how I had it when I was experiencing the targeting issues now.

bgarisn - ISBoxer Profile

Thanks for taking a look. Appreciate your time.

~X
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Right, so
this...

calls this...

which is virtualised...

to this...

So you are effectively asking
"other Tank" and "other DPS" to request "all other" toons to Assist them. Depending on how many toons are in Tank/DPS, and whether any of them are the active main, you will effectively have multiple toons asking all the other multiple toons to Assist them, which is not a good thing.
You don't get the warning I mentioned earlier because a virtualised setup prevents ISBoxer from validating whether you have a mapped key chain which is asking multiple toons to ask multiple toons to do something.

So as I said earlier, you really need to replicate the ISB42 - WoW -> Assist Me mapped key with the targets you have specified, and then in your top level mapped key, call them directly with a Do Mapped Key Action, and use a target of self (or Window:Current), so that the current active toon is the one requesting the Assist.

e.g.
and

Note the use of the advanced target in the WoW key map. This prevents a toon from receiving multiple requests too in case a toon happens to be in both Tank and DPS groups. You could also use "(all&~Healer)&~self"

edit: fixed spelling
Last edited by bob on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bgarisn

Post Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:55 pm

bob,

Thank you so much for that detailed response.

No wonder I was so confused. I'll try this tonight with my team and see if I can get it square in my head and working.

I sincerely appreciate the time/effort that all of you have taken to help me.

Thanks!

~X
<<

bgarisn

Post Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 pm

That solution worked great! Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

~X

Return to Key Maps