FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need help with build for multibox desktop pc

Moderator: MiRai

<<

verard

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:23 am

Need help with build for multibox desktop pc

Greetings ISboxer community,

As the title says, I want to build a budget desktop PC that will be able to run 6 wow accounts, 5 for multibox purposes and 1 for sniping, it's going to be my first time building a PC so take it easy on me. I expect I will need around 700-800 euros, I live in Greece so keep that in mind, shipping fees from amazon is around 200 euro lol, not sure if there's a way to order with lower fees, if there is please feel free to tell me.

So the build I have in mind after browsing the builds of the month for a while is:

*CASE: Graphite Series 230T Windowed Compact Mid-Tower Case

*Fans: Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - Blue

*PSU: EVGA 600 B1, 80+ BRONZE 600W, 3 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 100-B1-0600-KR

*CPU: AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor
(I heard pretty bad reviews about this CPU, and afaik CPU is everything for multiboxing, so please guide me somewhere)

*Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

*RAM: Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00

*Graphics card: Gigabyte Radeon Rx 460 Windforce OC 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards

*SSD: Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive

*Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST

*Monitor: ASUS VS228H-P 21.5" Full HD 1920x1080 HDMI DVI VGA Back-lit LED Monitor

I would post links for each part but mmo champ won't allow me yet.

That is around 800 euros if I order everything from Greece.

Do you guys have any better advice? Is there something I missed in the list?(I will be also buying a static electrcity bracelet thingy and a pad, aswell as thermal paste if needed, any other tips are more than welcome)
Also, I don't expect to run everything at max graphics, I'll have everything at the lowest possible settings, but my currect PC runs 4 accounts and it's pretty damn old, so I get a lot of freezes in game etc. I also play FF14 except wow and I read somewhere Nvidia graphics cards are better than AMDs for both games?Is it true?

Thanks a lot in advance for taking the time to read this, and I hope you can help me out

Verard
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Re: Need help with build for multibox desktop pc

verard wrote: I want to build a budget desktop PC that will be able to run 6 wow accounts, 5 for multibox purposes and 1 for sniping
This is the initial problem is that your two aims are pretty much in direct opposition. You can multibox on a budget to be sure, but as you've already set the bar at 6 game instances at once, then you might need to figure out what could give.

Anyway.

To be fair, I have had no hands on knowledge of AMD processors for a long time, so I can only base any supposition on them from comparison sites, but most of the perf stats seem to put the AMD 8350 far enough down the list that I'd think 4 game instances would be about the limit. You might get 6 out of it, but I wouldn't count on it.

For RAM, you should plan for 2GB per game instance, +2GB for anything else (like the OS). So for 6 instances, you're up for 14GB. Lets call it 16GB as that'll be the amount you get.

The remainder seems ok for your aim. These days a DVDROM is not really necessary, so unless you have some specific need for it (such as a software package that only comes on DVD), then I'd forgo it altogether - just make sure you have a Windows installer before trashing your current setup. Most of the time it is either download delivery or USBKey these days. I find the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to be very handy for makng USBKey installs from ISOs.
<<

verard

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:25 pm

bob wrote:
verard wrote: I want to build a budget desktop PC that will be able to run 6 wow accounts, 5 for multibox purposes and 1 for sniping
This is the initial problem is that your two aims are pretty much in direct opposition. You can multibox on a budget to be sure, but as you've already set the bar at 6 game instances at once, then you might need to figure out what could give.

Anyway.

To be fair, I have had no hands on knowledge of AMD processors for a long time, so I can only base any supposition on them from comparison sites, but most of the perf stats seem to put the AMD 8350 far enough down the list that I'd think 4 game instances would be about the limit. You might get 6 out of it, but I wouldn't count on it.

For RAM, you should plan for 2GB per game instance, +2GB for anything else (like the OS). So for 6 instances, you're up for 14GB. Lets call it 16GB as that'll be the amount you get.

The remainder seems ok for your aim. These days a DVDROM is not really necessary, so unless you have some specific need for it (such as a software package that only comes on DVD), then I'd forgo it altogether - just make sure you have a Windows installer before trashing your current setup. Most of the time it is either download delivery or USBKey these days. I find the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to be very handy for makng USBKey installs from ISOs.

Thanks for the fast reply mate, do you have any CPUs in mind I could go for? Let's say I can up the budget to 1k, like, what's the cheapest cpu I can get that will still get the job done, and what's the recommended one?
<<

bob

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:44 pm

As I don't have hands on with AMD, and your only better choice appears to be an 8370, I'd have to recommend you look for an i4770/4790 (or a K version if you like overclocking). I think for an extra €200 you could probably squeeze one into your parts list. Someone else with more hands on experience may be able to give you a more informed opinion on the AMD CPU's. There are definitely people who box with them, I'm just not sure of the limits of them for what you want to do.

I made a part list on pcpartpicker Espana, which is sucking all the pricing from Amazon Espana, seeing as it's in euros, and while the pricing might not be the same in Greece it gave me something to work with. I've blown your budget by a reasonable amount. I'll break down where I spent extra, in comparison to your list again, only comparing to pricing for Espana so it at least matches

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€274.40 @ Amazon Espana) - extra €82 over AMD FX8350
Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€151.47 @ Amazon Espana) - less €2 compared to FX MB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€90.48 @ Amazon Espana) - extra €35
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€111.93 @ Amazon Espana) - extra €36
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Turbo Video Card (€299.00 @ Amazon Espana) - extra €158
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case (€83.99 @ Amazon Espana)
Power Supply: Enermax 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€67.11 @ Amazon Espana) - less €21
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSD1 DVD/CD Writer (€13.95 @ Amazon Espana) - ??? couldn't find ASUS one for Espana
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans (€33.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Monitor: Asus VE228H-R 21.5" 60Hz Monitor (€138.62 @ Amazon Espana) - ?? Couldn't find on Espana, so not sure on difference, checked out the specs and found that this model was much the same according to the website, so used this purely for pricing.
Total: €1263.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-26 00:07 CET+0100

Overall even taking into account various differences, this list still comes out at about €1000 when I substitute your parts list back in, so I can only think that is a taxes difference between Greece/Spain. But the above is essentially what I think you should try and aim for, and then cut down on components if you need to. I upped the GPU significantly purely because retail WoW is more heavily using the GFX capabilities these days than it used to be (you possibly may be aiming elsewhere in which case this could not apply to you), and this will do you in good steed for a while to come, where as the RX460, is a bit meh in comparison, and hangs below the R9 270/GTX950/GTX760 level, except for when using the Vulcan API. For the most part a 1060 beats a GTX970, R9 390/X. An RX480 comes in behind all these. Frankly the new AMD cards are not cutting it. I would be inclined to take a 1060 3GB (€235.00) before considering an AMD card.
<<

verard

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:49 pm

That's a great setup, but I read somewhere on ISboxer wiki that you need 1 CPU core per game instance, the CPU you linked me only has 4, how will that work out?
<<

bob

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:41 pm

It has hyperthreaded cores, so 4+4. The math (for intel CPU's) is approximately 1 HT core will be equivalent to 30% of a "real" core, so that is 5.2 cores equivalent.
The AMD while is has 8 cores, it also doesn't. It has 8 ALU's, and 4 cores, and performance wise it is only a very specific set of tasks where you get that much benefit over it. For the most part, the intel CPUS are faster, their HT implementation is better than the AMD "clustered integer unit" implementation, they perform better are a wider range of tasks (notably game processing). Sadly they also cost more.

Under most normal circumstances, a game instance wont chew up 100% of a core, so you can get away with 5/6 game instances on a 4+4HT CPU. Some games work the CPU harder than others, and if you have a lot of memory movement from large scale textures and things, or you want to run side processes, like streaming, then more cores.

Simply an intel i7 4770 4+4HT core setup should let you get away with 5 or 6 game clients. I've run 6 instances of LOTRO and also run streaming at 1920x1080 on an i7 3770K - this hit the limit of what the CPU could handle though, but didn't cause it to lag. Each game does operate differently though.
<<

verard

Post Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:13 am

I honestly can't thank you enough for your time and help mate, after reading some reviews and asking for help on some other forums aswell I decided to go with this setup:

CPU:206.98E intel core i5 6500
motherboard: 131E Asus Z170-K
ram: 61 e/122e Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-3000MHz
storage: 70e Crucial BX200 240GB SSD
video card: 155e Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 4GB WINDFORCE
PSU: 80e EVGA 600 B1, 80+ BRONZE 600W, 3 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 100-B1-0600-KR
optical drive: 16e DVD-R/RW+R/RW LG GH24NSD1 bulk black Sata
Fans: 44e(Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - Blue)
Case: 42e aero-500
Monitor: 120e ASUS VS228H-P 21.5" Full HD 1920x1080 HDMI DVI VGA Back-lit LED Monitor
mouse/keyboard:40e

all in all it's around 930euros including shipping fees and I believe it will be more than enough to run 6 windows on the lowest settings possible for wow, and medium to high graphics on 1 instance of FF14

All the best,

Verard

Return to Multiboxing Hardware