Tri Boxing with an unconventional monitor setup. To SLI or n

Moderator: MiRai

<<

woksmore

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:55 am

Tri Boxing with an unconventional monitor setup. To SLI or n

Hi MiRai
First of all i have to say i absolutely Love your work

Over the last few months i have had a good read but just cant find the answer for my specific setup and was hoping you could help

I'm trying to work out the best configuration for my GPU's (2x GTX 970 EVGA's )to get max performance with screen

swapping when
WOW 3 boxing and
Max FPS on 1 screen for single play

Should i SLI and run both monitors of the primary card or <insert correct answer here>?

Here is my setup
2x GTX 970 EVGA's
27" @ 1920x1200
24" @ 1050x1680 Portrait (RHS)

Old CPU (skylake imminent upgrade when the 8/10 core drops )
12Gb RAM
SSD
and it runs very smooth :)

Currently I 3 box warlocks lvl 79 (my friend 2 boxes tank/ healer)

I run my main on the 27' and the other 2 on the 24' with a little space on the bottom for vent etc
I screen swap without empty slots (running full screen windowed mode)

In ISB i have locked the main to max 100 FPS and the others to 50
while leveling I have to swap often ,stupid individual collection Quests :P
and i have to say it runs Brilliantly and at 100FPS :)

Currently each GPU is connected to 1 monitor with SLI disabled

I tried to SLI and run both monitors from the main GPU (so i can max everything in raid in single play/RAID) but it
went haywire (low fps , GPUs temp throtled etc) i ran out of patience and just defaulted back to 1 monitor per GPU

I read somewhere (i know THAT'S not helping )
that i loose performance if ISB has to swap monitors to other cards so thats why i was thinking SLI is better.

Is that correct ?

My questions are
Am i getting the most out of what i have ?
Should i run SLI and if so what card should i plug each monitor into ?
How would you set this up if you were (only) 3 boxing and wanted to be able to max everything in single player as well ?

basically my rig works fine as it is , but with CPU, MB and maybe a 30" 1440P main monitor upgrade in my VERY near future,

how would you set this up so my current GPU's are giving me MAX ?
any advice would be appreciated

Solzwok
Part time Hardware addict
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:37 am

Re: Tri Boxing with an unconventional monitor setup. To SLI or n

woksmore wrote:I read somewhere (i know THAT'S not helping ) that i loose performance if ISB has to swap monitors to other cards so thats why i was thinking SLI is better.
Yes, that is true about ISBoxer, but only if you have each display powered by its own GPU, and then have a Window Layout specifically set up to take advantage of that setup (default Wizard options don't take advantage of that unless you adjust them).

woksmore wrote:Am i getting the most out of what i have ?
If you're able to maintain 100/50 FPS across all of your characters, then I would say you've already got a high performance setup. :) Personally, I'd turn on VSync and set my game clients to 60/30 to save on GPU (you're probably going to need it once you hit Draenor), but I don't remember if VSync plays nice with multi-monitor layouts or not (especially those with multiple GPUS).

woksmore wrote:Should i SLI and run both monitors of the primary card or <insert correct answer here>?
woksmore wrote:Should i run SLI and if so what card should i plug each monitor into ?
Unfortunately, I haven't run a multi-monitor setup with SLI in almost a year, but I would recommend attaching all of the monitors to the main GPU if you want to use SLI (outside of Surround mode).

woksmore wrote:How would you set this up if you were (only) 3 boxing and wanted to be able to max everything in single player as well ?
I really can't answer that because your Window Layout needs to work for you, and not me, but I currently use a 3-character layout and it's really no different than what the Window Layout Wizard already offers.
<<

woksmore

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Tri Boxing with an unconventional monitor setup. To SLI or n

Thanks for your super fast reply
I'm reading, absorbing and
I Guess as it stands it is working fine , more than fine .so get over it right, I know 100 FPS is pretty dam fine :)

Thanks for your Honesty about SLI with weird resolutions i will let you know how it pans out, SLI or not .As long as its working who cares

I guess i will just have to live with the fact im not burning both GPU's in single player mode ( it is only wow so no biggie really )

BTW your 3 toon Layout is way Smeyexer than anything on 2 screens .... maybe i need to go the 1 way Bigger single screen SLI to answer everything :)

Thanks Mate
Solzwok

Return to Multiboxing Hardware