FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

CPU usage IsBoxer Trove

Moderator: MiRai

<<

ussmbox

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:41 pm

CPU usage IsBoxer Trove

Okay, this is how it is. When I launch 5 clients my computer isn't using the CPU well. It lags quite a bit and clients freeze up from time to time. Switching between windows is slow most of the time. So what I have to do to fix this is go into IsBoxer and do the CPU wizard and take any CPU strategy(other than the one I want), save and export. Then go back to CPU wizard and take "Use all CPUs in all windows" and save+export. Then my computer spins up the fans and everything runs smoothly. I've had this issue before, especially on an older computer where it was that Nvidia went into powersaving mode. But here it shouldn't be an issue and I was wondering if there might be something you could do Lax? Or someone else that may have some tips!

As I mentioned, I can fix it by myself, but I always have to do the CPU wizard*2 to do it.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:41 am

Re: CPU usage IsBoxer Trove

It sounds like your Windows Power Plan (in the Power Options in the Control Panel) is not set to Maximum performance, but rather using a balanced or power saving option.

If you are running on a laptop (or have a UPS) then this may also mean you have different profiles for Battery vs Plugged In, so in these cases make sure you are 1, plugged in, and 2, adjusting the correct power plan.

Other than that, do some monitoring with CPU-Z / GPU-Z or similar utilities. Check to see what Frequency the CPU/GPU are running at when you have this issue. If they are not running full throttle, that is the problem, and you need to find out why. If they are running full throttle, then chances are you have something else altogether interfering with the game, and is it either stealing cycles, or doing something that is causing other processes to slow down.
For example, Antivirus is something which does this as it installs itself as a filter driver and all I/O has to run through it so it can bottleneck. Another example is if your system is low on PTE's then it will grind to a halt.

Monitoring to see what is running and using resources, and just what resources are available will be necessary to troubleshoot the cause. At the moment you have band-aid.
<<

ussmbox

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:57 pm

bob wrote:It sounds like your Windows Power Plan (in the Power Options in the Control Panel) is not set to Maximum performance, but rather using a balanced or power saving option.

If you are running on a laptop (or have a UPS) then this may also mean you have different profiles for Battery vs Plugged In, so in these cases make sure you are 1, plugged in, and 2, adjusting the correct power plan.

Other than that, do some monitoring with CPU-Z / GPU-Z or similar utilities. Check to see what Frequency the CPU/GPU are running at when you have this issue. If they are not running full throttle, that is the problem, and you need to find out why. If they are running full throttle, then chances are you have something else altogether interfering with the game, and is it either stealing cycles, or doing something that is causing other processes to slow down.
For example, Antivirus is something which does this as it installs itself as a filter driver and all I/O has to run through it so it can bottleneck. Another example is if your system is low on PTE's then it will grind to a halt.

Monitoring to see what is running and using resources, and just what resources are available will be necessary to troubleshoot the cause. At the moment you have band-aid.

Derp, so advanced. :P But okay, in windows power settings I've already changed that awhile back. It's not a laptop. I'll install CPU monitor again. Didn't really have this issue before either, same as the other thread with launching of clients. But I just recently (today actually) changed my faulty GPU fan. Been thinking of replacing the CPU fan as well. Lots of dust and old computer. Did wonders for my graphics card. Lowered by 30 degrees and quiet as a mouse. But I'll start with CPU-Z again. Thanks for the advice! Oh and P.S. I don't use virus scanners or firewalls or any other software really. I just play games. Nothing else really installed except Utorrent and VLC. :)
<<

ussmbox

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:19 pm

From what I can tell it's not the CPU. I run CPU Z and check max speeds and dormant speed. And as soon as I launch the clients it jumps to max speed. But it's still low FPS, until I do CPU wizard twice. Then the framerates go up, and the core temp on the GPU goes up. But CPU stays the same. Not sure how it would be related to GPU since CPU wizard only affects the processor from my understanding. Also the difference in running the CPU wizard after I've started the game is from 20 FPS in main window and 10-15 in secondary, to 63 main window and 30 on secondary windows and being stable at that. So basically it's a MUST to do that before I can play. :P

Was also thinking about the bottleneck stuff you were talking about, could that still be a thing if I CAN run the game normally? But only after CPU wizard is run? I would have thought it's some sort of config issue on my end with innerspace+isboxer.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Well, from your description it sounds like the graphics card is not working full tilt until after you run the CPU wizard.
I come to this conclusion because you've said 1. the FPS goes up afterwards and 2. the GPU temp goes up 30deg.

There is some FPS limiters set during the wizard. I'm not sure how these work, but perhaps there is something funny with Trove in that when these are being applied initially is causing a problem. If there is any FPS limiting going on in Trove, then the two may be conflicting. Also if you have using vsync, that may also be a problem. You could also try changing DirectX versions (if Trove supports both Dx9 or Dx11).

Other than that, I'm not really sure, but it would require a bit more analysis of your computer to determine the cause. You could start on this page, HOWTO:Tweak your framerate which mentions a few other possibilities.

Return to Trove