very new to Isboxer, need a little help ...... and very old

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Alleana

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:27 pm

very new to Isboxer, need a little help ...... and very old

http://www.privatepaste.com :: Paste ID 4deef8269b

Hello
So i have innerspace, Isboxer, and since two days i work to just do a very simple thing for you but for me its .... humm well
Used to understand quite quickly but seems my brain is like my bones, very old.

Innerspace version 41
I am on Windows 8.1 64bit
Game : SWTOR
1 computer
2 accounts

What i succeeded : i can now log into my two accounts without any problem
What i dont catch : after reading numerous guides and seeing the one on Youtube, i am still struggling with the Keymaps i think.

I have one team of two characters and will never have more
I would like the Target slot 2 to be my healer and on follow (i dont want any fight from it)
I completed the Variables Keystrokes (not sur if good though)
I went in game and gave to all my characters the same keybinds

But once in game, it seems that the auto follow dont work at all.

I gave ° as my keybinding for follow, do i have to give another key to Isboxer to launch the function or as i was doing before, do i have to select manually my target and use the in game keybinding SWTOR ?

Thank you and advance

ps : i apologize for the length of the profil i pasted, since two days i made so many attempts and so many changes
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Re: very new to Isboxer, need a little help ...... and very old

After having a look through the profile I am of the opinion you should clear it and start again (File menu, Clear, Yes to everything (except may characters), then Wizards, Quick Setup Wizard). Not through any major conflicts, but I suspect it will be easier to correct some of the changes you have made.

But. First you need to understand what Key Maps, and Mapped Keys are.
Key Maps: are groups or containers of Mapped Keys. They don't really do anything other than group a bunch of things together, which you can turn on and off as a bunch - not that you need to yet.
Mapped Keys: are tools that redirect of input. e.g. you press a key on the keyboard and something happens. You can also press other things too, like mouse buttons, headphone buttons, foot pedals etc. Something that provides input to a computer can be made to then generate some output to the game. Now the real clever thing with computers is that the input and the output results can be remapped to other things. This means you could remap the keyboard so when you press the PAGE UP key, it actually outputs the ENTER key. Or sometimes if you want to be really funny, you can remap all of the alphabet keys to output different alphabet keys. This annoys everyone who has been the butt of this joke.

What that got to do with anything? Everything it turns out. ISBoxer will allow you to configure these remappings via Mapped Keys so you can press the F key, and it will really send CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + F12, if that is what you wanted (I chose that example because it is an annoying combination to reach quickly). Sometimes you may want a remapping to actually send the same key as what you are pressing. This is referred to as a broadcast when it goes to all windows (not that it has to), but it is essentially a remapping, but just happens to remap with the output value the same as the input value.

So, all that said. Your follow problem probably comes from a couple of things. (Note: your hotkey shows up on my system as `, this may not be what you have on your keyboard, mine is a EN-GB layout).

1. You have ` as your hotkey (this is the key that you press, ISBoxer will intercept and send something to the game).
    2. This then does 2 actions
      2.1. Target Slot 1 (this should actually be "Target {SLOT}" so IF you happened to be on character 2 it would still work).
      2.2. Run a Variable Keystroke called Follow Target and send the result to the game window. You have set the Follow Target value to be `. So your in game keybind for follow should also be `. As a general rule, it is recommended to leave the ingame keybinds on the defaults and not change them, unless you always change them to match your play style.

Second thing. You have also set the Follow Me mapped key to be "Hold any Keystroke Actions while Hotkey is held" to ON. This is a bit odd for the follow mapped key. This particular setting is normally used for mapped keys where all the keys should behave as though they are held down while you press the key. Like WASD for moving around; you don't normally have to press these to move, you press and HOLD them to move. When this is OFF the behaviour in ISBoxer is to send the resulting key to the game as a brief keystroke. The Follow Me mapped key is normally set to OFF, and the "Execute a Step when the Hotkey is " "pressed OR released". Which means that a step will be fired when the hot key is pressed (step 1, Target Slot) and then a second when it is released (step 2, Follow Target). Yes this does mean you actually get two key presses for the price of one.

The other thing that stands out is that you have set some Virtual Keystrokes on SLOT 1 of the character set. These are doubled up, although the same. I'm not sure the effect that this will have, but you probably shouldn't double them up.
<<

Alleana

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:46 am

Thank you!
This is way really more clear for me and i will follow you advice and start anew.

I think i read so much before posting for help, that in fact I mixed everything and did a bit of *n'importe quoi* .... and i realise that the mapkey and hotkey were for me the same, so ...

Going to work on my copy, and do it from clean.

Again thank you for taking the time to explain me all this
<<

Alleana

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:08 am

http://www.privatepaste.com/efe2275cf8

so here what i did, starting from new.

My follow key in game is : DELETE
My target in fellow are F1 and F2 so i considered that Target Slot 1 is F1 and Target slot 2 is F2 or i dont have to give a hotkey to those ?
The Hotkey for follow me is ALT F
My target self is F9

So i can say having tested it that it works, but is there a delay or is there a little more step i forgot ?

I created a fellow, the leader do ALT+F without targeting manually and the Target SLOT 2 or F2 run to the leader
BUT if i switch windows, that does not work well.

When i play, sometimes i switch roles, and the follower become the leader, so is there a way to allow this ?

If i understood correctly also, if i want to use Healing, i will have to add to the Combat Key map the name of the spells and the hotkey of the bar each spells are on ?
And i will also have to add to the Variable Keystoke, new keys for Healing ?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it seems that my pleasure to learn is equal to the one to play with ISboxer :)

bob wrote:After having a look through the profile I am of the opinion you should clear it and start again (File menu, Clear, Yes to everything (except may characters), then Wizards, Quick Setup Wizard). Not through any major conflicts, but I suspect it will be easier to correct some of the changes you have made.

But. First you need to understand what Key Maps, and Mapped Keys are.
Key Maps: are groups or containers of Mapped Keys. They don't really do anything other than group a bunch of things together, which you can turn on and off as a bunch - not that you need to yet.
Mapped Keys: are tools that redirect of input. e.g. you press a key on the keyboard and something happens. You can also press other things too, like mouse buttons, headphone buttons, foot pedals etc. Something that provides input to a computer can be made to then generate some output to the game. Now the real clever thing with computers is that the input and the output results can be remapped to other things. This means you could remap the keyboard so when you press the PAGE UP key, it actually outputs the ENTER key. Or sometimes if you want to be really funny, you can remap all of the alphabet keys to output different alphabet keys. This annoys everyone who has been the butt of this joke.

What that got to do with anything? Everything it turns out. ISBoxer will allow you to configure these remappings via Mapped Keys so you can press the F key, and it will really send CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + F12, if that is what you wanted (I chose that example because it is an annoying combination to reach quickly). Sometimes you may want a remapping to actually send the same key as what you are pressing. This is referred to as a broadcast when it goes to all windows (not that it has to), but it is essentially a remapping, but just happens to remap with the output value the same as the input value.

So, all that said. Your follow problem probably comes from a couple of things. (Note: your hotkey shows up on my system as `, this may not be what you have on your keyboard, mine is a EN-GB layout).

1. You have ` as your hotkey (this is the key that you press, ISBoxer will intercept and send something to the game).
    2. This then does 2 actions
      2.1. Target Slot 1 (this should actually be "Target {SLOT}" so IF you happened to be on character 2 it would still work).
      2.2. Run a Variable Keystroke called Follow Target and send the result to the game window. You have set the Follow Target value to be `. So your in game keybind for follow should also be `. As a general rule, it is recommended to leave the ingame keybinds on the defaults and not change them, unless you always change them to match your play style.

Second thing. You have also set the Follow Me mapped key to be "Hold any Keystroke Actions while Hotkey is held" to ON. This is a bit odd for the follow mapped key. This particular setting is normally used for mapped keys where all the keys should behave as though they are held down while you press the key. Like WASD for moving around; you don't normally have to press these to move, you press and HOLD them to move. When this is OFF the behaviour in ISBoxer is to send the resulting key to the game as a brief keystroke. The Follow Me mapped key is normally set to OFF, and the "Execute a Step when the Hotkey is " "pressed OR released". Which means that a step will be fired when the hot key is pressed (step 1, Target Slot) and then a second when it is released (step 2, Follow Target). Yes this does mean you actually get two key presses for the price of one.

The other thing that stands out is that you have set some Virtual Keystrokes on SLOT 1 of the character set. These are doubled up, although the same. I'm not sure the effect that this will have, but you probably shouldn't double them up.
Last edited by Alleana on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bob

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:29 am

What you have is fine and looks normal. You didn't specifically need to set the Target Slot 1 and Target Slot 2 variable keystrokes, but it doesn't matter that you did. These are simply a default value that can be overridden (of course if you don't have overrides you will be happy that you have a default value so it is good to set some of them!).

What you do need to look at is for when you swap characters, you need to make sure the targeting is working correctly. ISBoxer does this by allowing the Variable Keystrokes to have per character overrides. You can find these under the Character Set -> Slot # -> Variable Keystrokes.
Vairable Keystrokes.png
Vairable Keystrokes.png (12.47 KiB) Viewed 11372 times

What these do is allow you to change the output value that is sent to the game for that particular Variable Keystroke, from the perspective of the character in that slot. OF course this only works if you always log in the same character on each slot!. If you don't, then the targeting doesn't work nicely.

Now SWTOR has a fixed target party member order from what I recall, so I imagine that this table will need to be changed to correctly target.

Lets break down what that table really means and how it works.

There are two steps to the Follow Me command (ALT+F), but all the hard stuff is in Step 1.
Step one of the Follow Me command is "Target Slot {SLOT}". The {SLOT} bit is replaced dynamically by Innerspace with the number 1, 2, 3 etc depending on the current active slot - i.e. the one you are currently playing and trying to get everyone to Follow.
This is also sent to the target of "other Follower". Follower is a specific Action Target Group that is created as part of the Quick Setup Wizard and contains all your characters. The target of "other Follower" means all members of Follower, except the current active slot (the one you are trying to get everyone to follow).

So this means that when you are on Slot 2, the command sent is "Target Slot 2", and this will be sent to the character in Slot 1 (because they are in Other Follower).

What does this mean?

If you are playing Slot 1 you can do this manually to test it. In order to target the character in Slot 2, the key you press is not F2, but probably F1 (because of the way SWTOR works). This means you need to update the Variable Keystrokes table for Slot 1, to be Target Slot 2 = F1, and Target Slot 1 = F2.
<<

Alleana

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:52 am

Understood :))

I made the changes for the slot 1 (i noticed that Slot 1 have now the same configuration as Slot 2)
I will test it once the server will be back :))

Again thank you :))

Just to confirm :
Party member are normally in SWTOR , F2 F3 F4 and F5 as they gave F1 to self

i am so used to have F1, F2 etc for the party member that i gave F9 to self and of course changes all that in the ingame Keybinding.
<<

bob

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:01 am

Edits make flow tricky!.

Alleana wrote:And i will also have to add to the Variable Keystoke, new keys for Healing ?

You don't need to add anything to the Variable Keystrokes if you don't want to. These are there purely as a method of allowing per slot overrides. It also simplifies some of the wizard configuration and provides a single point of reference for a particular keystroke to be sent to the game - i.e. you can have many mapped keys that all reference the Follow keystroke (DELETE in your case), and you change the in game keybind, you only have to change it in one place.

Alleana wrote:If i understood correctly also, if i want to use Healing, i will have to add to the Combat Key map the name of the spells and the hotkey of the bar each spells are on ?

You do - whether you add to Combat or Non-Combat is up to you. These are purely organisational buckets. The names don't actually have any significance.
There is a Mapped Key Wizard from the Wizards menu that will allow you to setup these Mapped Keys. It can do multiple at a time if they are simple broadcasts.
<<

bob

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:06 am

Alleana wrote:Understood :))
Just to confirm :
Party member are normally in SWTOR , F2 F3 F4 and F5 as they gave F1 to self

i am so used to have F1, F2 etc for the party member that i gave F9 to self and of course changes all that in the ingame Keybinding.

I don't play SWTOR so I don't really know. As I understood it though, by default, F1 was party Leader, and F2 was party member 2, etc. Plus it also has a fixed party order based on some mystical ordering process, and once a character is created it will always be in a specific party slot regardless of how that party is formed, as long as it has the same party members. - I could be completely wrong too, and confusing myself with another game.

Not that my rambling helps you!.
If you have changed the default in game binds, then you will need to test the keys manually and set as appropriate. The targeting table can get you confused easily (it confuses me still and I think I know what I'm doing), but it is all about setting it up from the perspective of the slot you are chaging, and targeting the character in the slot number referenced. As you only have 2 characters it should be reasonably easy.
<<

Alleana

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Wow!! with your help i could make all work correctly, even the single heal i wanted !

What was a total struggle for me, went almost smoothly with your help, i can not thank you enough! you put a big smile on my face

Return to Key Maps