FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Diablo 3 doesn't finish launching

Moderator: MiRai

<<

allcaps

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:52 pm

Diablo 3 doesn't finish launching

I just got my first and only trial of ISboxer, and I can't get it to work with Diablo 3.

I have inner space pointed at diablo iii.exe, with the -launch argument, and it just hangs at the splash screen. I know it's supposed to be copying some kind of cache file, but it's not. There's zero disk activity, and I've let it sit there for upwards of 20 minutes with no change. My computer is very powerful, so even if it was copying the entire d3 install it'd have finished a couple times over. I tried pointing it at the launcher instead, but it doesn't fare any better. Either nothing comes up at all, or I get a small blue "starting battle.net..." that hangs forever.

When I very first started this, it looked like it was working, the first instance launched and was located/scaled correctly, then the second stayed on the splash screen for a long time, and when I killed them both off to try again now we're in a state of nothing working at all.
Last edited by allcaps on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Diablo 3 doesn't finish launching

It may help to see a diagnostic.
<<

allcaps

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:00 pm

https://privatepaste.com/5d26e66dbe

I deleted all the cache folders in the diablo 3 folder, and then had the b.net launcher prep d3 for play again, and after doing that when I tried to launch my team (after closing up all the b.net software first) the first window opened, a cache-1 folder was made/filled, and then the second instance froze on the splash screen. Let it sit for 20+ minutes. After closing them now not even the first instance loads anymore.

Things I've tried:
  • Deleted the cache folders, even the base cache. Ran the game once normal and had it regenerate them.
  • Reinstalled battle.net.
  • Totally deleted and rebuilt the team from ISboxer/IS.
  • Reinstalled Diablo 3.

After a reboot, and then closing everything that could possible muck with d3, I can launch once instance, which generates a cache-1 folder, and the second d3 instance starts, but no cache-2 folder is created, and it stays hung on the splash screen.
<<

allcaps

Post Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:20 am

I fixed this by uninstalling ISboxer/IS and redownloading it. It looks like the issue was I was missing the "Diablo 3 - Skip Launcher" profile. After reinstalling ISboxer, Diablo 3 still wasn't detected. I added it by right clicking IS in the task tray and dragging my d3 shortcut to it. I made sure the entry pointed to diablo iii.exe instead of the launcher, and made sure -launch was in the launch options.

After doing this, I went and set up a team in isboxer, and "Diablo 3 - Skip Launcher" was one of the profiles that could be picked for characters being created. I made a team of four, making sure to use this profile, and exported. Launching the team from IS now works correctly every time.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Edit: Seems broken again, even after nothing has changed on my end.
<<

allcaps

Post Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 pm

I looks like it's broken again, and I didn't change anything between getting it working, and now when it's back to doing the same thing.

If I delete the cache-* folders, the first client will launch, open up, then take up its position on the screen, but then the second client freezes on the splash screen. No cache-2 folder is being created if it freezes on the second client.

Obviously something has to be stepping in the way of the game/IS, how can I find out what it is? I don't have anything odd running on my computer. At this rate all of my week long trial is going to be spent on troubleshooting :(

It looks like it works if I reinstall ISboxer, and then it will work until I reboot. After that it's broken and clients hang at splash.
<<

allcaps

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:22 pm

I've arrived at the end of this saga. I ended up just reformatting my computer. I wasn't able to find out what was causing the issue before, but it's working fine now. I went from Windows 8.1 back to 7, and have had zero issues since.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:10 pm

allcaps wrote:I went from Windows 8.1 back to 7, and have had zero issues since.

I've heard of that Windows 8.1 virus. :lol:

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected