FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

do dungeons require 5?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

ormempheus2

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:43 am

do dungeons require 5?

i tried to do CT with just the party of 3, and couldn't get it to start. it said join with current team, and then someone else joined after a while. will i need 5 if I want to do dungeons. if not, whats the trick to start it with fewer than 5?
<<

nodoze

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: do dungeons require 5?

ormempheus2 wrote:i tried to do CT with just the party of 3, and couldn't get it to start. it said join with current team, and then someone else joined after a while. will i need 5 if I want to do dungeons. if not, whats the trick to start it with fewer than 5?
Were you at the actual dungeon entrance or using the queue system? I am pretty sure you can't start with less than 5 via the queue system but may be able to if you walk up to the door (I am pretty sure I did that with my duo but that was quite awhile back).

Doing skirmishes with only 3 people may be fine but that being said the actual 5 man dungeons are hard enough with 5 real people in them and really hard for a 5 man boxing team unless you are well geared or over geared. I don't know that the dungeons scale down if you go in with less than 5...

That being said you can certainly take a team smaller than 5 to cap and have some success and good experiences. Before NeverBoxer was created I took my GF + DC Duo to cap (I was in the original betas and soft-launch) as my PC couldn't run 5 clients at once very well until the performance tweaks were uncovered so I just did 2 characters initially...

Please report back whether you are able to get in and how things go. I did a few of the 5mans at level with my duo but went though potions and stones to pull it off so after the first few I started doing them after I was several levels higher. Usually I would clear a whole zone and get my duo "Flagged" for the 5 man but then move on to the next zone an only go back after I had completed and flagged for the next zone. Sometimes I would have to go though 2 more zones and be several levels higher to have a chance of completing. Thankfully my guild mates didn't mind me duoing if there weren't 5 real people online and they would join to help me when needed (and I helped many people though their many-dungeons that they could not solo).
<<

ormempheus2

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:30 pm

yes i went there with all of my folks at the door and selected the option to go in with the existing team. they all just sat around and then someone else joined me, plus some angry folks at the door wondering why i wouldn't invite them :)

Thanks for the realistic portrayal of the dungeons. i'm honestly pretty happy going through the storyline. You saved me a lot of extra work.
<<

Sylver

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:23 pm

I've heard Nodoze state this before and I'll reiterate....

You can start off with a party of 2-3, but if your goal is end-game dungeons by yourself (well, your own team), then you should level the 5-man team together. Otherwise, you will have to go back and re-level the missing party members. You won't be able to effectively do higher level dungeons without the 5-man.

Of course, this assumes that your PC can handle 5 clients, but I added some code and made some tweaks, plus an optimization guide here in the forum to help people get the most out of their PC's performance.

The optimization guide can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4165
- Sylver
<<

nodoze

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:51 pm

ormempheus2 wrote:yes i went there with all of my folks at the door and selected the option to go in with the existing team. they all just sat around and then someone else joined me, plus some angry folks at the door wondering why i wouldn't invite them :)

Thanks for the realistic portrayal of the dungeons. i'm honestly pretty happy going through the storyline. You saved me a lot of extra work.
I also enjoyed the story-line and did just fine with my duo to cap but that is all my PC (pre-Neverboxer 1.0+ & the frame-rate-bug-fix) could play without going down to intolerable frame-rates.
Sylver wrote:I've heard Nodoze state this before and I'll reiterate....

You can start off with a party of 2-3, but if your goal is end-game dungeons by yourself (well, your own team), then you should level the 5-man team together. Otherwise, you will have to go back and re-level the missing party members. You won't be able to effectively do higher level dungeons without the 5-man.

Of course, this assumes that your PC can handle 5 clients, but I added some code and made some tweaks, plus an optimization guide here in the forum to help people get the most out of their PC's performance.

The optimization guide can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4165
While I really enjoyed beta-testing and it was fun to watch things evolve and see hard work over time I certainly some-times wish in hind-sight that I had Neverboxer from the get-go. I don't like grinding and repeating things so I haven't been able to get my catch-up team of 5 (3 DC + 2 CW) to catch my original GF+DC duo at cap. I am frankly enjoying other games more at the moment so my catch-up team is stuck around 40 and honestly don't have much desire to repeat things to level them (though Lemartes motivates me from time to time and I add a level or two). If I had NeverBoxer 1+ from the get-go I likely would have a full 5 man team now... Anyway I am grateful for what I have and glad to have been a part of things and fine overall with how they worked out.

Return to Neverwinter