FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Effective Slave Background Healer AoE targeting of Tank?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

nodoze

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Effective Slave Background Healer AoE targeting of Tank?

I went through my notes & a few threads and didn't see if anyone ever found a way to effectively control a slave Healer's AoE heals/abilities from the Foreground window.

It seems like if I have a Healer target my GF Tank with an AoE Heal (like Astral Shield) the Heals go past the GF.

If I don't target the tank then the AoE could be close to the cleric but could be in the wrong direction.

I tried using the VFX to pass through and manually target but having to push Alt to do this is bogus.

I would like to reliably be able to cast both:
- AoE Heal (Astral Shield) centered on the Tank;
- AoE Heal (Astral Shield) centered on the Cleric (and any DPS near the DC);

Anyone solve this?

I thought I remembered seeing that people had good workarounds but now I can't find them.
Last edited by nodoze on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

lemartes99

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: Effective Slave Background Healer AoE targeting?

I just HardTarget where I want it to go and cast.

Also found you can hit the keyboard key twice instead of the mouse to get it to cast, so my macro is simply

1. hardTarget whoever
2. q

If i hit this twice, it goes off over the char targetted. It can sometimes miss if you cast from really far away.
<<

zandokan

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Well 2 things I think you saw where I put on the other post about the optin to cast ground target spells on button release and the other one I have the same way /hardtargetlock1 on tank and 90% of the times goes on my feet, the rest of the times i just move to it with my tank.
<<

nodoze

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:09 pm

lemartes99 wrote:I just HardTarget where I want it to go and cast.

Also found you can hit the keyboard key twice instead of the mouse to get it to cast, so my macro is simply

1. hardTarget whoever
2. q

If i hit this twice, it goes off over the char targetted. It can sometimes miss if you cast from really far away.
zandokan wrote:Well 2 things I think you saw where I put on the other post about the optin to cast ground target spells on button release and the other one I have the same way /hardtargetlock1 on tank and 90% of the times goes on my feet, the rest of the times i just move to it with my tank.
I was doing testing in a large open area like there often are in boss fights and I am using hardtarget on the tank. If I keep the cleric back a ways & hardtarget the tank the AoEs are going well past the Tank unless there is a wall to stop it. I guess I can try to tank in a corner or near a wall.
<<

nodoze

Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:01 pm

In the level ~60 mini-Dungeon Illithid Enclave there is a sink-hole at the first fight location and I noticed larger than normal variances on where the AoE circle is cast.

If the Cleric is up high and the GF Tank is in the sinkhole the AoE radius is more centered on him than normal and the AoE is further off the GF when reversed and the GF is higher due to being at the top of the hill.

If you have the GF HardTargeted the distance and height of the 2 characters have a significant effect on the Tank.

Unless someone comes up with a better way to make AoE targeting on the Tank more consistent from the healer, I am thinking that a tall race makes the most sense for Healers and short for the Tank.

For Multi-Boxing Neverwinter with a GF Tank the Dwarf may be the best racial choice for GF Tank due to this and for having good racials for Tanks.

It doesn't help that my Tank is Human and I customized him to make him as tall as I could... If I had it to do over again, unless this is improved, I would take a Dwarf and customize him to be the shortest Dwarf I could...
<<

Sylver

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:22 pm

nodoze wrote:In the level ~60 mini-Dungeon Illithid Enclave there is a sink-hole at the first fight location and I noticed larger than normal variances on where the AoE circle is cast.

If the Cleric is up high and the GF Tank is in the sinkhole the AoE radius is more centered on him than normal and the AoE is further off the GF when reversed and the GF is higher due to being at the top of the hill.

If you have the GF HardTargeted the distance and height of the 2 characters have a significant effect on the Tank.

Unless someone comes up with a better way to make AoE targeting on the Tank more consistent from the healer, I am thinking that a tall race makes the most sense for Healers and short for the Tank.

For Multi-Boxing Neverwinter with a GF Tank the Dwarf may be the best racial choice for GF Tank due to this and for having good racials for Tanks.

It doesn't help that my Tank is Human and I customized him to make him as tall as I could... If I had it to do over again, unless this is improved, I would take a Dwarf and customize him to be the shortest Dwarf I could...

Spent alot of time today working on NeverBoxer specifically setting up the SLOT2 for a DC. I'm trying to work out a crafty way to make the control scheme also allow for multiple healers (SLOT 2 & SLOT 3) and some DD (SLOT 4 & 5). I'm thinking end-game NeverBoxing will be GF+2DC+2CW, so I'm steering my development towards that party makeup. Prob won't have it all worked out for v09, but for 1.0 I really want to have that integrated and usable. Beyond 1.0 should only be bug fixes and UI customizations...

I've been experimenting with TargetCursor and AOE and it is promising, but a bit touchy. I'll let you know more as I experiment. :)
- Sylver
<<

nodoze

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Sylver wrote:
nodoze wrote:...

Spent alot of time today working on NeverBoxer specifically setting up the SLOT2 for a DC. I'm trying to work out a crafty way to make the control scheme also allow for multiple healers (SLOT 2 & SLOT 3) and some DD (SLOT 4 & 5). I'm thinking end-game NeverBoxing will be GF+2DC+2CW, so I'm steering my development towards that party makeup. Prob won't have it all worked out for v09, but for 1.0 I really want to have that integrated and usable. Beyond 1.0 should only be bug fixes and UI customizations...

I've been experimenting with TargetCursor and AOE and it is promising, but a bit touchy. I'll let you know more as I experiment. :)
Glad to hear it and looking forward to both versions.

I wish they would release Rangers soon as I want to level up a 5man team with 1 more DC and 2 Rangers & 2 CWs. That would give me multiple options for up to 3 DPS or up to 2 healers.

One thing I found was that caps lock was too easy to hit & drain my Divinity Meter (at least for me). I think that for utilizing the Divinity Meter's +'s that it would be better to have them tied to a key-bind that uses multiple steps by first hitting tab to turn on divinity meter, casts with the boost, and then hits tab to turn off the boost. This would make it more controlled and help preserve it and only use it when you want to.

That would also maximize replenishing the Divinity Meter as it would only be not growing when actually being used for a split second.
<<

Sylver

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:11 am

nodoze wrote:Glad to hear it and looking forward to both versions.

I wish they would release Rangers soon as I want to level up a 5man team with 1 more DC and 2 Rangers & 2 CWs. That would give me multiple options for up to 3 DPS or up to 2 healers.

One thing I found was that caps lock was too easy to hit & drain my Divinity Meter (at least for me). I think that for utilizing the Divinity Meter's +'s that it would be better to have them tied to a key-bind that uses multiple steps by first hitting tab to turn on divinity meter, casts with the boost, and then hits tab to turn off the boost. This would make it more controlled and help preserve it and only use it when you want to.

That would also maximize replenishing the Divinity Meter as it would only be not growing when actually being used for a split second.

Originally I had planned on making the divinty just part of the heal sequence and not worrying about the player toggling it. Its already such a headache to use solo, I questioned its ease of use multiboxed. Ill try out your suggestions and see how things fare. I'll grow 2 level 20 DCs over the weekend for testing purposes. :P

yeah, I had hoped for rangers in release date - but I guess that didnt appen. Hopefully they will come along soon...
- Sylver
<<

nodoze

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:24 pm

Sylver wrote:
nodoze wrote:Glad to hear it and looking forward to both versions.

Originally I had planned on making the divinty just part of the heal sequence and not worrying about the player toggling it. Its already such a headache to use solo, I questioned its ease of use multiboxed. Ill try out your suggestions and see how things fare. I'll grow 2 level 20 DCs over the weekend for testing purposes. :P

yeah, I had hoped for rangers in release date - but I guess that didnt appen. Hopefully they will come along soon...
Hating to lose DPS my hope is that one well programmed Cleric surrounded by Control Wizards who control/AoE when adds swarm the cleric will suffice. It will be interesting to find out if the best party makeup for Multi-boxed 5mans ends up being GF+DC+CWx3, GF+DCx2+CWx2, or something else...
<<

nodoze

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:35 am

Re: Effective Slave Background Healer AoE targeting of Tank?

Summary as of 7/10/2013 is that AoE targeting of the Tank from the background is still inconsistent as it will overshoot to max Range or a wall depending on the angle of the reticle's Hard Lock to the Tank... Some observations that help:

- Using the shortest Dwarf Tank possible & making the Healer as tall as possible minimizes the overshoot;

- If you have the option to stage the fight with the healers up on higher ground that also minimizes the overshoot;

- One other thing to note is that the Key Healing AoE spell Astral Shield appears to have a shorter max range than some other abilities so that somewhat minimizes the over shoot... If you are at or past this max range distance on the first cast you can just move your GF back to be in range and from then on if you can stay in that area you should be good (because you are at max range even though the cleric would overshoot if it could)...

- Lastly, based upon Lesmartes 5man efforts with DCx5 with Tank Pets the Healing AoE may not be as big an issue as I originally thought. I think the better approach with a GF & multiple DC's now is to AoE heal around the Boss via Forgemaster's Flame in Divinity mode as targeting the Boss isn't a problem... The key to this will be being able to consistently AoE heal around the Healer/DPS group via Astral Shield & Sun Burst.
Next

Return to Neverwinter