FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Windows 8 + Lotro + Innerspace

Moderator: MiRai

<<

roddy

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:39 am

Windows 8 + Lotro + Innerspace

Hey All,

I have recently just started innerspace and am trying to set it up on my Windows 8 Toshiba X875-Q7380. When launching my character set, the LOTRO launcher starts, I input my credentials for login and login, it says connecting to my server and then closes as if to launch lotroclient. However, lotroclient does not launch. Below are two links. The first one if a diagnostic report for the launcher, the second for the client.

http://privatepaste.com/42079e4946 - Launcher
http://privatepaste.com/3e4b6f10f3 - Client one character is loaded.

On the IRC we tried a few possabilities (as well as from the sticky thread) but atlas it is still not loading the lotroclient after the launcher. We tried the following:

1) Setting the GTX670M GPU as the default GPU via Nvidia control panel (also tried disabling Inte HD4000 via device manager)
2) Disabeling NVIDIA processes
3) Disabeling TeamViewer
4) Checked to see if option in Bios to disable Intel GPU - not an option
5) Checked drivers to ensure all were updated (they were)

Any other things to try I'd greatly appreciate getting this beauty to work :)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Windows 8 + Lotro + Innerspace

With NVIDIA Optimus technology, you cannot disable the Intel GPU or use the NVIDIA GPU as the primary GPU. The way it works is actually that the 3d rendering is done off-screen by the NVIDIA GPU and then composited onto your display. There's no way to get around this :)

I do believe it is probably related to Optimus, though. There have been (possibly still existing) issues like this with IS + Optimus + Direct3D 11. It's possible that dropping LOTRO to Direct3D 9 instead of 11 may work around this issue for now. To do that, you might need to go into your LOTRO documents folder and delete or manually modify your per-Character UserPreferences.ini files (Virtual Files). If you delete them, then you can log in without ISBoxer to change your settings, and when you launch your team again these files will be copied again from the main UserPreferences.ini file with the new settings.

I have an Optimus laptop for testing, but it's running Windows 7. I will do some testing and see what I can dig up though.
<<

roddy

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Lax,

Thanks for your reply! I have deleted the files and made sure lotro was running DirextX9 (not sure if Direct3D is a different setting or not, but I could not find it in any of the lotro settings).

I am still having the same problem as before. Not sure if you would be interested or not, but I'd be fine with letting you RDC if that would help make sense of any of it.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:43 am

I'm running some tests on LOTRO + Windows 8 at the moment and I'm actually getting a crash (possibly like this one) when the game is set to Direct3D 9 mode, but not when it is set to Direct3D 11. So if anyone is still having trouble with Windows 8, try setting it to d3d11 instead of d3d9!

I'll be issuing a fix soon as well.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:58 am

Inner Space build 5801 corrects this issue.

To try it out, right click IS and select Patcher, check "Download development (test) patches" and then close and restart Inner Space to let it patch up.

Return to Lord of the Rings Online