LOTRO: Fellowship and skill lockups

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Tacktics

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:31 am

LOTRO: Fellowship and skill lockups

Anyone having issues like these?
-----
I brought 3 hunters characters up to 16th level no problem.
At 16th I added another hunter I had, so 4 boxing. It was a few days ago.
I played last week with them for awhile and seemed fine.
Then I had a problem were 2 of the characters skills stopped working.
Exited out. On reentry had loader pause on "Cleaning old connections".
------
Today: Could not play at all.
I will describe the final of 3 tries. After I power cycled network and desktop.
Would get all characters loaded.
Invite fellowship from leader. Accept on others. Success on fellowship creation.
Then (repeater all) try a skill like focus or mount.
Would get the graphic showing it was running the skill but no results.
Ever after I would not get any graphic just the puff of smoke with no error.
Could not even attack. Icon became outlined and just stayed that way until another click.
I could chat and trade.

Fellowship:
I would have a character leave the fellowship. That character would disappear in other chars fellow lists.
But the leaving chars fellowship list would not go away.
I would do another leave and get the "You do not belong to a Fellowship"
I would have the main send an invite and get "Char already belongs to a fellowship" message.
I did the above with each secondary character. The leader end as the only one showing no fellowship.
At which time the leaders skills worked again.
Characters 2,3,4 (Load and fellowship order) were still locked.
I logged out of one. Standard 30 sec wait and got to logon screen.
Message stated "Waiting for logout to complete". Avatar still present in world.
After wait finally exited logged out char. 3.5min later others get. "Your friend, , has gone offline."
10 min after logout the avatar finally disappeared from world.

Started a turbine ticket.
Anyone else have a clue or similar event occur?
<<

ecgric

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:51 am

Re: LOTRO: Fellowship and skill lockups

well all I can say is I used to have the same problem... Funny thing is it too was with my hunter set. Then problem just stopped happening. I never figured out why. So sorry I can't be more help but strange that it only happens with the hunters. I box RK's mostly these days and it has never happened with them. Like I said it went away for me hope it does for you. Can't really offer any advice and I know its frustrating as hell.
<<

Tacktics

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks. I had 3 other thoughts.

Thought #1
------
I am running an Windows 64-bit, I7 920.
That gives me 4 cores with 8 virtual.
In ISBoxer I am assigning 2 cores to each of the 4 Lotro instances.

inst #1 = 1,2
inst #1 = 3,4
inst #1 = 5,6
inst #1 = 7,8

Should I be a different CPU assignment configuration?
------

Thought #2
------
Network issue:
Under certain load conditions could the my instances not be receiving or processing all of the sent communications?
at which time the program gets into a waiting for message state.
That message will never get there because it is lost?
------

Thought #3
------
I was messing with the frame rates trying to lower GPU usage.
foreground = 50
background = 25
could that have anything to do with it?
------
<<

Kaische

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:39 pm

I run into the same problem, also on my hunter-team. First i thought it would be a problem with my configuration in isboxer or on the lotro servers, but then i went one day without hunterspeed (simply forgot to turn it on after the fellowship invite with mouse-repeat) and the problem didnt appear. I think it was the speedbuff on all characters activated because on my RK, Minni or mixed team there is no such problem.

Try only one hunter have the speedbuff activeated, it should be ok.

Greetings
<<

Tacktics

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks Kaische.

Initial test worked. I had no problems.
Starting hunterspeed was one of the things I just did.
As a test, after working and moving around and killing I tried hunterspeed and it worked.
I am going to do some experimentation to see if I can recreate the issue.
Will post later this week.

NOTE:
1) I think the problem started and continued when I was in or around the city Bree.
2) I worked fine in Ered Luin. Previously, I think, I would always quit out of town.
<<

tanker

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:10 am

I've seen this as well, and posted a bug report on it (no response).

It is definitely started by turning on all the speed buffs at once. If you turn them on one at a time, the bug won't happen. I also notice when the UI is primed to fail, the speed buff didn't toggle on one or more toons. Once the UI is primed, any skill with animation will cause it, but I haven't been able to track it down from there.

It also appears to be server load based, higher loads cause it to happen more often.

Moral of the story, turn on the speed buff one toon at a time.

PS Search the LoTRO forums for 'hunter bug' and keep bumping the thread, won't ever get fixed otherwise.
<<

Tacktics

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 am

I have been busy with family and business so have not been able to test.
Was able to play on Sunday night for 2 hours with no problems. Started in wilderness.

I also am thinking that it is server load based. Will search and try and post on lotro boards.
Tanker when you have had the issue did you see a correlation with Lotro world location?

another experiment would be to use a network traffic analysis program (maybe wireshark) and see what the difference in load is between high traffic areas and wilderness. Figure out if the issue is on our side or turbines.

First Turbine response:
Thank you for contacting Turbine Technical Support. Please note that third-party tools as you indicated using are not supported (and may violate the "Code of Conduct" in some instances).
Regarding the issue occurring most likely the router is causing issues having to route all the connections going out to the game servers and all the return data packet communication being sent back from the server and the connection is timing out once a "saturation" point is reached.

Just to test if you bypass your router and connect your PC directly to your internet service providers modem* does this issue still occur if you run one game client on one PC and one character while connected this way?

(*Be sure when testing this that you "power cycle" the modem and also reboot the PC and upon rebooting check first that you can connect to the internet in general before launching the game to test.)

If you do not connect with a separate router and modem please indicate this in your reply though.
<<

tanker

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 am

Tacktics wrote:I also am thinking that it is server load based. Will search and try and post on lotro boards.
Tanker when you have had the issue did you see a correlation with Lotro world location?

I only ever saw the problem in the marsh in Breeland, during the week between xmas and new years day. Once I figured out the problem was initiated by turning on swift mode on all four hunters at the same time, I stopped doing that and haven't seen the problem since. I also haven't seen the server splitting (for load balancing) outside of Bree so the overall world load may have gone down as well since.

If I get time I'll try and reproduce the problem again, including some video capture.
<<

KrunkTheMadMan

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Wow, this is just a stupid bug, but turning the speed on one character at a time fixed it for me. Guess I'll just have to live with it for now.

Return to Lord of the Rings Online