FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Windows Layout (1 PC, 2 monitors)

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Druanor

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:34 am

Windows Layout (1 PC, 2 monitors)

Just about to start running 3 characters, up from 2. I wanted to get some opinions about what windows layouts to use for 3 char with 2 monitors. I have 2 20" monitors on 1 PC, I run my main on the right side (full screen) at 1280x1024 and the second on the left side monitor at the same resolution. My question is to split the left side monitor, but in which way? Side by side (vertical split) or top and bottom (horizontal split)?

Anyone have preferences? Are there limitations in ISBoxer for this layout?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Windows Layout (1 PC, 2 monitors)

I definitely recommend having windows top/bottom rather than side-by-side. Last time I tried it out myself I noticed that when they were side by side I really missed out from not having visibility to the left or right of me, whereas with top/bottom I had my normal view to the left and right, and I didn't really need to see more above or below.

What you will run into is that the resolution needs to match the main window in order for mouse broadcasting to work correctly, but your main window's resolution is either going to be twice as wide, or twice as tall. So it's either going to end up looking scrunched (the full resolution will be scaled to the size of the window), or you can disable the scaling but then you can't have perfect mouse broadcasting or instant window swapping. The styles in the Quick Setup Wizard should help you keep the same aspect ratio -- you'll notice that it will quarter the screen instead of doing a split-screen. In a technical sense that's preferable, but in the end it's going to depend on how you're comfortable playing and what you're comfortable having to look at ;)

If you're on Windows XP, or the monitors are on different video cards, then there might be some performance issues with dual monitors that we can discuss as well (and/or see the "Using multiple video cards" guide)
<<

Druanor

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Windows Layout (1 PC, 2 monitors)

Hey Lax thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't get back to this sooner but I have been having a blast just 2 boxing and leveling my characters.

I understand your opinion and it definitely makes a lot of sense to me. I was trying to imagine how it would look on screen in my mind, and scrunched seemed but I see how you don't need the top and bottom view as much as being able to see both characters at a glance. <shrug> I realize it's a preference thing and I will try both just to see.

I am running Win 7 with one video card running 2 19" monitors (not widescreen) with resolution set at 1280 x 1024 if that helps at all. I am in the process of getting 2 19" widescreen flat panel to replace them.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to Lord of the Rings Online