FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Lotro will not launch after login with innnerspace

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: Lotro will not launch after login with innnerspace

lax wrote:It occurs to me that I may also need a freeze dump from turbineclientlauncher.exe, assuming that is running at the time lotroclient is frozen

I reckon you mean the lotroclientlauncher.exe.

edit: No I guess you don't as it has been renamed since U15.
Last edited by bob on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

pooki11

Post Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:59 pm

bob wrote:From the brief chat yesterday with Kaische, it is almost like the Process Environment Block (PEB) is not initiating correctly, and the thread (when it gets created), despite reporting normal priority is not getting process time. Kaische left it for an hour and it did get a little further along the PEB init process.

If you use Task Manager and raise the priority of the lotroclient.exe process to "Above Normal" or "High" (do not set Realtime) does it finish the startup? (if it does, please set it back to Normal afterwards).

I set it to above normal for 5 mins, then at high for 5 mins, nothing.

lax wrote:It occurs to me that I may also need a freeze dump from turbineclientlauncher.exe, assuming that is running at the time lotroclient is frozen

Here ya go fresh freeze dumps of both
lotroclient.exe https://mega.co.nz/#!kptG0DIB!Yxpu57BiqC9b4TXTgs1xc5Is5sf0I1B36TUJ-A8MqzM
turbineclientlauncher.exe https://mega.co.nz/#!M0EFGL5T!hvt08ZitZqsEgLDGXKJpZrhF7egRRbPnsNWQC_BQPeQ
<<

bob

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:35 am

Another couple of things to try.

Have a look in C:\Windows\Prefretch (you may need to enable Folder Options -> Show Hidden Files, and untick the Hide files options).
If you see a lotroclient.exe or turbineclientlauncher.exe file (probably with a GUID after it), remove this and try again. This is a prefretch database file and will be rebuilt. If you run from an SSD, then this folder will not have much in it. Prefetch is disabled for programs running from an SSD.

If you generate a Process Monitor trace it may also be useful. To do this download Process Monitor, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysi ... s/bb896645, start it up. Disable logging (CTRL+E), clear the file (CTRL+X). Set a filter (CTRL+L) for "Process name is turbineclientlauncher.exe then include" and "Process name is lotroclient.exe then include" (leave the default excludes there too). Start the capture (CTRL+E). You should be getting nothing that this point. Now start your team.

Once it has tried to start up lotro and hung there for a bit, save the Process Monitor log (CTRL+S), zip it up (it'll be 30MB or so), and make it available somewhere (I'm not sure you will be able to load it up here).
<<

pooki11

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:41 am

bob wrote:Another couple of things to try.

Have a look in C:\Windows\Prefretch (you may need to enable Folder Options -> Show Hidden Files, and untick the Hide files options).
If you see a lotroclient.exe or turbineclientlauncher.exe file (probably with a GUID after it), remove this and try again. This is a prefretch database file and will be rebuilt. If you run from an SSD, then this folder will not have much in it. Prefetch is disabled for programs running from an SSD.

I deleted them and retried, still hangs.

bob wrote:If you generate a Process Monitor trace it may also be useful. To do this download Process Monitor, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysi ... s/bb896645, start it up. Disable logging (CTRL+E), clear the file (CTRL+X). Set a filter (CTRL+L) for "Process name is turbineclientlauncher.exe then include" and "Process name is lotroclient.exe then include" (leave the default excludes there too). Start the capture (CTRL+E). You should be getting nothing that this point. Now start your team.

Once it has tried to start up lotro and hung there for a bit, save the Process Monitor log (CTRL+S), zip it up (it'll be 30MB or so), and make it available somewhere (I'm not sure you will be able to load it up here).

Alright I left it running for ~10mins here's the results:
https://mega.co.nz/#!Z40hnYxR!b_Lw4fvN-5BJIC0mHARndaTzYLAI6xpSziruff4Z-Cs
<<

bob

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:38 pm

After looking through your trace and comparing it to mine, the first real deviation is I load the Bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll. This occurs on my system. I don't have any Apple software, which is this, so I'm not sure why I have it, but I do. I'm not sure it is relevant. Probably not.

The next deviation is that turbineclientlauncher writes to the CrashHandler_1.log file. C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\The Lord of the Rings Online\CrashHandler_1.log. It does not on yours. It is the first major difference. This is pretty close to the end of your trace.

The next deviation is I get a number of side by side files loading, and Windows virtualises them via UAC. Yours does not. If you disable UAC, you also disable particular UAC virtualisation features. Don't disable UAC.

Other than that, there is nothing outstandingly different in the traces as you are pretty much at the hang point now.

Whatever is supposed to happen in the lotroclient.exe and is presumably a callback to the turbineclientlauncher is being locked. I guess from Lax's look at the memcpy, that there must be some named pipe or memory mapped file or something that is being used as a communication mechanism between the two processes (turbineclientlauncher and lotroclient) and this is being locked out by something, somehow. What that is, I can't tell from the trace unfortunately.
<<

hawkin90

Post Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:38 pm

I can confirm this is happening to me too. Out of a sudden it freezes when I launch my second account. No changes done to isboxer.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:26 pm

hawkin90 wrote:I can confirm this is happening to me too. Out of a sudden it freezes when I launch my second account. No changes done to isboxer.

It's not an ISBoxer or Inner Space configuration thing. There is apparently some incompatibility between Inner Space and *something* on your PC (either software or configuration) that isn't on mine or bob's or, well, just about everyone else.

If you're having this problem, ...
1. what version of Windows are you on?
2. get us "Diagnostics for game crashes" from a running instance of the game. http://isboxer.com/wiki/Diagnostics

Also if you're not using the development build of Inner Space ... right click IS, select Patcher, tick "Download development (test) patches" and then close and restart Inner Space to let it patch up.

And you might like to know that since the main problem was solved some time ago, the quickest solution for the few remaining folks to get working again has been a clean Windows install (or different computer, etc). Then if/when it stops working after you install or change something later, it might be more obvious what I should look into. (Again, something on your computer and not ours, not Inner Space or ISBoxer configuration, and we don't know what it is.)
<<

hawkin90

Post Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:07 am

Here's my paste: http://privatepaste.com/7a5bad2486

I'm on windows 8.

Seems a bit excessive that I have to re-install windows just to get isboxer working. It was working just fine a couple of weeks ago.
<<

bob

Post Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:38 am

hawkin90 wrote:Seems a bit excessive that I have to re-install windows just to get isboxer working. It was working just fine a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe it does, but as various programs are doing updates on your computer all the time, and the people reporting this issue are not able to report exactly what has been installed/uninstalled/updated within the period of working/not working (everyone says nothing), then it is difficult to diagnose. It is not something that is consistently reproduced on all computers, and it is not apparent what the common link is. Personally I've not had any of the issues reported here, and Lax has said he does not get the same issue either.

But the response is the same regardless.

1. Don't disable UAC as this will end up disabling various features of windows, including file virtualisation, and process elevation requests, and if you then set compatibility settings to set Run As Admin (because a process which would normally request elevation no longer can), it then causes Windows to hook in the AppCompatibility Layer.
  2. Remove anything you can which is hooking the game that doesn't need to. Remove means don't load it or uninstall it. Get the Lotro FULL download directly from lotro.com and nowhere else.
    Examples from your paste are:
    Code:
    Steam
    Internet Download Manager
    GameOverlayUI
  3. Look for other software that installs Filter drivers and remove (uninstall) it. Anything that loads a Filter driver will still load the driver even if you disable the process or shut it down (e.g. Antivirus). This is because filter drivers need to hook the Windows Kernel. Examples from your paste:
    Code:
    SuperAntiSpyware
    MSSE (although this one should be fine - it is fairly common usage in multiboxing)
  4. Look at other software that does overlays or other system hooks, or you just don't recogniseExamples from your paste:
    Code:
    StartMenu8 (this has several processes like InstallServices64, StartMenu_Hook, StartMenu8, StartMenuServices)
    OpaqueTaskBar (this may be part of StartMenu8 - not sure)
    SpotifyWebHelper  (again, many sub processes)
    MXMon (appears to be some custom process for the ASUS Xonar card)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:40 am

Seems a bit excessive that I have to re-install windows just to get isboxer working. It was working just fine a couple of weeks ago.

Of course, but even if you didn't want to get me the diagnostics, or if we can't figure out what software is causing the problem, you could have done this a week ago and you'd be on your way. Hell, maybe it seems a bit excessive that you need to try shutting other programs down -- it was working just fine a couple of weeks ago! (Turbine changed the launcher process and now there's different compatibility than a few weeks ago.)

1. Try shutting down Internet Download Manager
Code:
19. IDMan - Process ID: 4928 (C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe)
20. IEMonitor - Process ID: 4980 (C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IEMonitor.exe)

2. Can you try a non-Steam install of LOTRO?

3. The only other thing of interest that lists as loading within the game is your ASUS Xonar sound. There was a similar issue with ASUS Xonar's software a few years ago, so try shutting that down as well.

Anything else you can shut down at least temporarily to narrow this down may help. Super Anti-Spyware, Start Menu 8, etc.
PreviousNext

Return to Lord of the Rings Online